Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: .30 Rem source for brass?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

.30 Rem source for brass?

Eventually I may get a 10mm to try out a Glock (G40 I think) - Friend has one, haven't fired it yet. Usually a 1911 user.

To make the usual odd thing I'm working on, eventual project, I'd want to make shot shells that fit it. 10mm is based on the .30 Rem so I have looked for that but only can find loaded rounds for that and they're $2.16 or something each. If I have it right I maybe can modify some 30-30 brass (have to have someone with a metal lathe remove the rim and cut an ejector groove in them though...)

Anyone on here have an idea on a source for 30 Rem brass in small numbers? (Say 20 or something - Could even be brass with neck cracks so if someone shoots a LOT of 30 Rem I could use their cast offs as I'd be cutting them down to ~1/2" longer than 10mm brass, and sizing them down with maybe a 375 or 357 or so die so the front part fits inside the bore, same as 45ACP shotshells.) Not close to getting this done (still trying to get properly set up for reloading here, knees aren't helping!) but trying to plan for 6 months down the line maybe? Thanks!

PLEASE don't carve up rare .30 Rem brass, should you happen to find some. Some folks still own rifles that take it. A few years ago I helped a friend restore his father's old deer rifle, and it took me months of searching to scare up a couple dozen cases on evilBay.

Machining .30-30 is your only ethical option.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Why wouldn't you use 10mm brass?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

OK, I'll look for someone with a small metal lathe then.

The 10mm brass needs to be about 1/2" or 3/4" longer to work properly for shotshells that will feed through the magazine - Forming the "bullet" part in a longer case is the only way to do that short of making a (papier mache or plastic?) "bullet" - Try feeding a wadcutter seated to full depth i.e. the top of the WC is at the case's mouth - Most autoloaders don't feed those very well! So for an example in 45ACP (It'd have to be scaled to fit 10mm of course) - look at the top picture on The Ammo Channel, you can see that the brass is a noticeable amount longer than "regular" brass for that given caliber.

ammoseek (BTW) has a link to the 30 Rem loaded rounds, but over $2 a round = not cheap.

Boolit Master

What about 10mm mag brass, saw it at the Indy 1500 a couple of weeks ago.

Boolit Master
    Grumpa should be able to fix you up. He will make it from 30-30 Win.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Remington does make a run of the stuff every few years (I don't know their schedule). I bought enough to last me a while during their last run (seems like it was about 3 years ago). But the modified 30/30's get the job done while we wait for the proper stuff.

But since you just want the bottom part -- the 6.8 Rem they use in AR type rifles -- it has the same base dimensions as 30 Rem I believe. It's too short to make into a 30 Remington but would work fine for your shotshell work.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't the 6.8 SPC based on .30 Rem?

You could probably find brass for the 6.8 fairly easily.

That 6.8 sounds like an easier answer - Thanks! I'll make a note of that. Pretty sure that's a common cartridge and no one would be displeased if I modded some - I need maybe 1.3-1.4" or so (wild guess) long for this. Have to get a 10mm pistol too, to fire them in! Thank you all

Boolit Master
    Graf & Sons (grafs.com) shows .30 Remington brass in stock. Available in lots of 50 pieces for right at $1 per piece. They also have the 6.8 SPC brass in several varieties including 6.8 basic (not formed or necked) if you need the brass full diameter and full length. If you can make your project with the 6.8 cases they are less expensive than the .30 Remington and all of these choices are new brass - no worries about their histories.

In Remembrance
    I tried the shot load idea already, and as you may have guessed it started out as my rejects from making the Rem cases. There are a couple ways to do those, the nose shape in particular, and it takes time. First is using what's called a notching die, used in a swaging process of mine. The other is to use a GC over the shot and roll crimp in place.

I relied on testers, since I don't own a 40 or a 10mm. I was using a fast powder but they wouldn't eject, and according to them they were rather weak. So I gave up on going any further with that project, and just stuck with my other ones. If you do a search in the shot shells for handgun section I have some pictures of the revolver loads.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

Buy it, cut it, make the shotshells

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/742
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

6.8 is cheaper, and less rare, makes sense

Boolit Master

6.8 SPC or 224 Valkyrie.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    On sale, $29.99 a 100:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...rass-100-count

****This is as cheap as you are EVER going to find 6.8/Valk brass, as Federal is dumping the unprimed brass on the market to increase the long term viability of the Valkyrie.******
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar