RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
PBcastco Lee Precision

Thread: Dillon 550b help

Boolit Buddy

Dillon 550b help

I’m looking at a used Dillon 550B and I haven’t had any experience with one yet so I was wondering if everything was all there. I pretty well know the price is worth it I just don’t want to be chasing down missing parts. This is what he told me. Along with some pictures he is wanting $375 shipped. Thanks for the help
    “Yes it is a 550b. You get everything you need to load minus powder primers and bullets. You get a set of dillion .38 sp dies In tool head . Shell plate . Primer tray. Primer pickup tubes, auto prime system and alarm. Automatic powder measure.”

I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

ADMIN

does it come with both the large and small primer conversion parts?

I think that is a good price.
    A new machine is $480 with one conversion kit
    Dies (carbide) is $70
    primer flip tray is $23

Dillon gear normally brings 80% of retail.
    $460 is what I value it at
    You also have to factor in shipping cost which will be $25 or so
    I think its a good deal

Boolit Master

It's missing the loaded round catch bin, looks like everything else is there.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Im not seeing the primer bar actuating rod. Its a bent rod that pushes the primer bar out as the ram is raised to pick up a primer from the primer magazine. But yeah, what he said above, I bought mine late last year and it was around 600 all in with dies for two calibers.

Boolit Buddy
    It does come with the large and small primer conversion. The rest I don’t know about. But even with that stuff missing I’m still money ahead it sounds like.

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Im not seeing the primer bar actuating rod. Its a bent rod that pushes the primer bar out as the ram is raised to pick up a primer from the primer magazine. But yeah, what he said above, I bought mine late last year and it was around 600 all in with dies for two calibers.
    It’s there, you just have to blow the photo up to see it.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Ahh I see it! It was laying under the base of the primer magazine. Good eye!

Boolit Bub
    Just an FYI - that is the older style powder measure. While I have used both, successfully, people do notice down-the-road that the powder measure is not the failsafe version. Dillon makes a conversion kit for their measures though if you wanted to convert it to the failsafe version! I believe in the future, if you wanted a new measure, you’d also be required to buy the new failsafe rod. The one included is only a 90 degree bend at the top, while the failsafe rod has two 90 degree bends.

Boolit Master

If you're really concerned, you could ship it to Dillon for a make-over and all you're out is shipping. At least that's the way it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    If you're really concerned, you could ship it to Dillon for a make-over and all you're out is shipping. At least that's the way it used to be.
    There is a cost now for rebuilds. I think it was ~$65. Still a bargain....my used 550 came back like new.

Boolit Master
    I can see that the crimp die is the newer type but the seating die looks like it doesn't match. Is it even Dillon?

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I can see that the crimp die is the newer type but the seating die looks like it doesn't match. Is it even Dillon?
    Neither the sizer nor the seater appear to be Dillon.

that is not a 500 B that is the older 500 model. the pin that goes through the bellcrank is held on with c-clips the 500 B pin is threaded and uses a nut to hold it on. also i do not see the small pistol powder charge bar. if you do purchase this send it back to Dillon and get it upgraded to the new 500 some one upgraded it with the fail safe rod to bring it up to the 500 standard as that is the difference between the 500 and the 500 B. looks like a lee sizer die in station 1 and a lee seater die in station 3 with a Dillon crimp die in station 4.also there are no lube holes on the press arms which means you have to disassemble the press to lube the pins so sending it back to Dillon for a re-furbish and upgrade would be the move.HTH
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thanks everyone I’ll let you know what happens. We just had a few unexpected expenses come up this weekend so it might not work out but I’ll give it a try. Again thank you so much!

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Bub
    I always like have Dillon equipment because it is in my own backyard ( well a 30 minute drive from Mesa to Scottsdale and I don't have to ship, I can just go by there and see all their toys in the lobby)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LWSTARKS View Post
    I always like have Dillon equipment because it is in my own backyard ( well a 30 minute drive from Mesa to Scottsdale and I don't have to ship, I can just go by there and see all their toys in the lobby)
    Do you have to pay a cover charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick459 View Post
    that is not a 500 B that is the older 500 model. the pin that goes through the bellcrank is held on with c-clips the 500 B pin is threaded and uses a nut to hold it on. also i do not see the small pistol powder charge bar. if you do purchase this send it back to Dillon and get it upgraded to the new 500 some one upgraded it with the fail safe rod to bring it up to the 500 standard as that is the difference between the 500 and the 500 B. looks like a lee sizer die in station 1 and a lee seater die in station 3 with a Dillon crimp die in station 4.also there are no lube holes on the press arms which means you have to disassemble the press to lube the pins so sending it back to Dillon for a re-furbish and upgrade would be the move.HTH
    Rick
    Call Dillon, for no cost they will send you those parts, the two links, lower pin with self locking nuts that go through the bellcrank along with the tools and instructions to install them, they even included a new bellcrank, at least they did for me about four years ago. As the two links wear and start to have a little play it will allow the big ram the shell plate base bolts to move/rotate, get enough play in it and it will hit the primer feed cup that comes up through the shell base plate. They give you an alignment tool to set it up and lock down the shell plate base in the proper position (timed) during assembly. After getting the parts install and timed the press works smooth and like new, it was like a new press when done. And the new links have the lube holes. They won't just send you parts you ask for, they'll ask you what the problem is, you'll need to tell them the shell base plate moves too much because of wear in the links, tell them that base plate hits the primer pick up cup when you try to seat a primer even after everything was adjusted, tell them with the ram raised 1/4 to 1/2 way you can move the handle side to side and watch the shell plate rotate, it shouldn't, that's what happens when the links wear out.

BTW I don't see any primer pick up tubes, it should have come with one of each of the large and small pick up tubes. It's nice to have a few of each so you can have them loaded and ready to go when your cranking out a few hundred rounds --> https://www.dillonprecision.com/prim...116_23515.html
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master

$375 is no deal. It is going to require cleanup and rebuilding. This is worth $300 max.

I would go w/ a new one that has the newest technology.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

I would go w/ a new one that has the newest technology.
    A+ and be done with it.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters