Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 3D printing speed loader strips

3D printing speed loader strips

I've been playing (yeah best description I guess) with my 3D printer and recently got some TPU material. A flexible plastic that works reasonably well in my stock machine.

Printed several items, different finish from the base PLA material. But it's way flexible. Holds shape well when several layers thick.
    Tried a speed strip off Thingiverse, but it wouldn't print worth a darn, and I didn't like how it was designed. Loads would come out too easy.
    So I reworked it and have printed some 5,6 and 7 round for my 38/357 revolvers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strip2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	226790

Yeah, I could have bought a dozen for what the roll of material cost, but what is the fun in that?

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    One of the lines I've become accustomed to hearing over the time has been, "You can buy such and such for less than it takes to make them yourself." That's just one of the well meaning things many of the non-do-it-yourselfers will tell you and in many cases they are most probably right.

I guess it's just hard for them to grasp the DIY mindset just like it's hard for we DIY'ers to explain why we'd rather do it or make it ourselves so, I let them have their say and just keep doing what I'm doing.

In regard to the speed loaders in your photo, They look OK to me. If you have the software to alter the configuration even further you could turn them into lipstick holders for the wife, girlfriend or better-half and possibly get something good out of the deal. I recently made some stripper clips for my K31 rifle that turned out pretty good. I see no reason why others can't come up with useful little nick-nacks like this too.

HollowPoint

Yeah, I'm using a pretty neat program that runs on my Apple IPad. Expensive to get full features, but I can play with it for free.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Yeah, I'm using a pretty neat program that runs on my Apple IPad. Expensive to get full features, but I can play with it for free.
    I look forward to see what you come up with. The possibilities are endless.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

All these things i see... has really got me curious about a 3D printer. I cant make heads or tails of the specs. Would love to mae a set of case gauges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I’ve always thought a five round speed strip would be a slick setup, glad to see I’m not the only one! Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    All these things i see... has really got me curious about a 3D printer. I cant make heads or tails of the specs. Would love to mae a set of case gauges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The size of the finished print can vary greatly due to the material used and the temperature settings, and can be adjusted for scale in the print program as well, so I would not recommend it for case gauges unless you were committed to measuring the printed gauges carefully and being ready to adjust and re-print as necessary.

3D printers are neat (I used mine last night) but they are finicky.

Bulldogger

Yeah, I could have bought a dozen for what the roll of material cost, but what is the fun in that?
    How many hundreds can you print from a roll of PLA?

UH, no telling..... I use Cura occasionally but mostly rung through repetier-host. It shows the length, but I've never calculated what's in a roll.....

I'm guessing several thousand. Time is more of an issue, takes 45min to an hour for each. Have to run the flex at 20mm/s MAX, which is a third as fast as my std PLA (60 to 80mm/s depending on design)

I made a hold down for my laser rotary that I use on the SS cups. Helps with being able to run repeatably if I need to and keeps cup in place better than just gravity.
    Sold ONE so far on-line, (offering files also if anyone wants to use them for themselves). That paid for 2 rolls of PLA. And I used probably a tenth of a roll in working out my design and making 4 sets.

As far as case gauge, Nah, they are repeatable, but not that good unless you are spending several thousand on a REALLY good machine. Mine really is a toy, but you can create usable items from it.
    I found a pretty neat doorstop, flips up. Design is ****, the mounting brackets are in two pieces, and flip one. Should have made the bracket in one, with a center pin. (bracket cracks at joint line no matter the glue I use.) The PLA drills well, and is pretty darn rigid. Not high heat resistant, and that is detractor. Other materials are better, but cost more and harder to run.

Don't know how many of you have a Dillon 650xl press, but I've been playing with a few parts for it. Several pretty good out there, one in aluminum, one in plastic. Quick Disconnect for powder feeder (guess it would work on any of the Dillon presses. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180918_125254.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	227319 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180918_125432.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	227320 the QC and a then a Case Stop clip
    to keep the cases from dropping while setting up press.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180918_122314.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	227321 Real simple and clips on a screw on side to store.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180918_122234.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	227322

Boolit Master
    I think of all kins of stuff to 3D print.