Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Animal repelllants?

Moderator Emeritus

I figured with my 6' chain link fence around most of yard and a wooden fence with square fencing attached would help. My puppy is a little over 100lbs now; named Ruger and is a Great Pyrenessee. His sire weighs 180lbs. Had a bear a week or so ago climb the wood fence, break my third bird feeder then decided to come around back of house to side door. Ruger was barking up a storm at 5:30am. I don't keep food stuff in garbage but forgot had some rancid grease. Bear started on garbage bag but barking stopped him, I think. Took my 45/70 to see if he was inside fenced area before letting Ruger out. I never would have thought animals still come near an area where a dog that big lives. No effect on copperheads, ground hogs, etc.

Boolit Master

A deer won't jump over a fence if they can't see what's on the other side.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Liquid Fence,

I use it all summer long, amongst a a large deer and rabbit population and it works very well as long as you follow the application directions and apply after every rain.

I bought 1 gallon with the dispensing nozzle and then, buy the concentrate and mix my own.

I do need to be careful and not get any on my clothes and to wash my hands before coming back into the house or I will get run out of the house by my soul-mate with the sensitive nose.

Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent .

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    Have heard that lion bedding from a zoo or circus will keep deer away. Have a 5'chain link fence and three dogs to keep animals away. I bring the dogs into the house before I go to bed to keep them from barking all night long.

Boolit Master

The only things I know work for sure are as follows. A deer wI'll not walk on something like chicken wire that is slightly suspended off the ground. They will not walk under a close area with something touching their back. You could hang some type of curtain close to the ground and they will not crawl under it. Another way is to lure them into an electric fence. Hang apples on bare wires or wrap up peanut butter in aluminum foil and hang it on the fence. One shock on the tongue seems to be as good as any. I hung several stringers of surveyors tape on the outer edges of a dwarf apple tree. They would not get under the tree. The motion or movement of surveyors tape or pie plates in the wind will sometimes spook them. Wind chimes hel0,sometimes.
    Scents like rotten eggs are good as long as it is a strong and maintained. They will adjust to about any scent.
    Once they discover a food plot it is hard to deture them. Last year I was burning a large brush pile on my property. Beyond me was my neighbors pear trees. They are huge and many pears were falling off them onto the ground. A doe walked by me ,with 10 ft. high flames and I started talking to it to try to spook it. The doe was locked in on the area of the pears and never even looked my way. It was within 5-7 yards.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I pee off the deck pretty much daily, doesn't bother the deer a bit.

Something I remember seeing suggested is woven wire staked and suspended about a foot above the ground, laying down. They don't like stepping through the wire. Of course you would get a lot of grass and weeds growing up through it, though.
    I whiz in gallon milk jugs and dump a whole gallon at a time. It's kinda ripe after it sits. Makes my roses and raspberries grow out of control.

It works for rabbits but Ive peed in the woods dozens of times bow hunting and deer walk right over and don't care.

Boolit Master

The deer, and around here the antelope, seem to leave zucchini alone. Beets & beans don't stand a chance.
    Talk to your local County Extension Agent for advise.
    Something like a cage for individual or small groups of plants may work.
    You have 7 months or more to come up with a plan before planting season.
    Good Luck.

Boolit Master

Here is what you do. Work up a good sweat, go inside and shave your armpits. Put in net bag and hang in garden. Repeat weekly.
    Oh, let me know it if works as I just made it up!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12