MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Another new Breech Lock Pro

Another new Breech Lock Pro

Received mine last week and ordered a shell plate from Midway USA. Received the shell plate last week Friday and it was the wrong one. Still haven't heard back from them on a return so not happy with Midway. Ordered another one from Titan Reloading which is what I should have done in the first place and received it today.

So I was finally able to assemble everything and set the dies, then run an empty case thru each station all the way around.. Press seemed very smooth and steady. Then ran the case up into the powder measure and then slowly lowered it to observe how easy it will be to see into the case. WoW! What an improvement over the Pro1000. I could easily see into the case without straining to see inside. Also I don't see were it is going to be difficult to adjust to the priming on this press over what I do on the Pro1000. I think it is going to be even easier than how I'm priming on my old 3 hole turret press. But I'll find out once I have the Safety Prime on the press.

Didn't get to spend a lot of time with this press today as I'm still working rehab on my wife's knee and because of the holiday Monday she had two days in a row. So I hope to get some time tomorrow to run this new press and actually make some rounds!

Good for you, I was wondering when you were going to jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Good for you, I was wondering when you were going to jump in.
    I was going to try and hold out until the wife was back to work from her knee replacement but the "gotta have it" won out. No restraint here! If the Safety Prime works well then I don't think I'm going to lose anything moving from the Pro1000. I really do like the position the case is in after the powder drop. It's so much easier to see inside the case.

Boolit Master
    yep the Breech lock pro is a huge improvement over the Pro 1000!

That 4th die station is the reason for sure plus the improvements of course!

I'm keeping the Pro 1000 to de cap my brass before tumbling clean, it's all it does these days!

HM

Now I cannot say that the Breech Lock Pro is a huge improvement over the Pro1000 but I can state that they are similar yet very much different from one another. I now own both and there are aspects of each that I like and also dislike. I only bought and upgraded to the Breech Lock Pro for the 4th station to enable me to add the Lee CFCD for a problematic piston I own. I will continue to load my 9mm and 380 on the Pro 1000 using just the standard Lee 3 die pistol set. It's fast, easy and reliable. In general I see the BLP operating in very much the same fashion with the only real change being in the onboard priming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	227392

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	227393

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	227394

So here it is mounted on the bench. Unfortunately the 3/4" plywood that I used isn't as stiff as I'm used to, it flexes much more than the top my Pro1000 is mounted on. The height and position fit very well and it is much easier to see into the case to check powder than the Pro1000 and so far I'm likin it! So far I've loaded 50 rounds on it of some 45 with 185gr bullets and AA#2 that is a new load.

I've got about 400 already loaded 45 that I need to go to the range and unload so I can then give this press a good test.

Might try to bolt it to something with a larger foot print that is more ridged and screw and clamp that to the bench a 4x4 from from to back won’t flex as much unless you are tipping the bench.

Might also try lubing your cases, that will require less input force.

The 3/4" top is hanging freely over the cabinet and sticking out unsupported. I did add a pcs. of 3/4" board that is 8" wide and 16" long and bolted the press thru both pcs.. I haven't glued these together yet but this has stiffened this up a good bit. Still not ideal but from what I've seen on many videos this press still doesn't move as much as some I've seen.

I may pull the top off and laminate another pcs of 3/4" plywood. May even replace this BCX plywood that is only 5 ply with a nice pcs of 3/4" 7 ply maple and laminate it together so it's 1.5", I'm also waiting to hear from my daughters boyfriend the welder to see if he can get me a 6"X6"X1/4" plate though now I'm thinking larger would be better.