RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin indecision Or Marlin To modify or not to modify?

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I would so enjoy that one stock! I have a Winchester 30-30 from the late 70's or early 80's and can't mount a scope on the darn top ejector. I would love one that I could put optics on, the old eyes aren't so good. And I am not that old!
    Not true I have a scope on my pre 64. It is mounted in front of the teceiver. It's a,2 power Redfield was on it when my dad bought for my first deer rifle in 71. I have 2 extra scopes for it now.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Well, the only rational thing to do is to make it into a 38-55 trapper. Win-win. 16.5" barrel won't hurt the ballistics of it and oh my the trappers are handy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    And then get another one rebored and keep the barrel long since you will then know the longer barrel is more fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    If you are not hunting moose, elk, or the larger bears, what is the driving reason to get it in a bigger caliber. 30-30 ammo is everywhere and it is a proven deer killer.

I personally do not like the recoil of cartridges with more power than the 30-30, 7.62x39 and .35 Rem. Yes I do own heavier recoiling rifles, but they do kick.

Don't forget that your gun will lose un-needed weight from the rebore. My Win 94 got even handier as a 38-55. Last Sunday everyone wanted to shoot it and my 44-40 and the ARs remained cased much to my suprise!

Boolit Master
    Problem solved, I was telling a buddy about the rifle and he made me an offer on it so now its his. Knowing him 25 years from now it will still be in the same condition.

Good for you. Why rebuild an engine that isn’t worn out? Or fix something that isn’t broken.

I would now use that money to find the caliber and configuration that you want. Just my .02.

Boolit Grand Master

I see the problem has been solved. But when faced w/ the dilemma of modifying a 30-30 Marlin there’s only one answer.....rebore it to 356 Winchester. It will feed converted 308/358 Win brass w/ no issues. I know the answer because it’s what I did

You just delayed your appointment with JES is what you did. You'll get there.

Boolit Master
    Yep, some day but like that U2 song I still haven't found what I'm looking for.��

I don't worry about modifying a rifle. I do like to use a little common sense as far as money spent. If
    the rifle is worth premium money because of scarcity or NIB condition it only makes sense to sell it
    and get another rifle for custom purposes. What a guy wants is his bussiness reguardless of his reason. I think some have a hobby of customizing rifles. Two times I have been tempted to custom
    a Marlin lever. I have a 70 m1895 that I was going to have cut to trapper and extended magazine to
    match. This was before Guide guns were offered. Lucky for me I didn't get to it and Guide series came out. After shooting several of them I decided I didn't want to give up accuracy for short barrel.
    The other was having a Texan rebarreled to 219 Zipper. This was another case that you could sell the
    rifle and buy a Marlin Zipper for less money than a rebarrel. I haven't modified a Marlin lever but have rebarreled several Win 94s to 38/55. This was with replacement barrel and a few other minor
    parts. This was because 30/30 is not legal in Ohio. Guys were buying Win 94s at average of $400
    and had $200 in parts for conversion. It made a little sense at the time because legal rifles were
    in short supply and selling for top dollar. Today there are rifles in $600 class factory new. So the rush
    for 38/55 conversions is over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12