Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin indecision Or Marlin To modify or not to modify?

Boolit Master

Marlin indecision Or Marlin To modify or not to modify?

I just got a new in the box 1977 production 336 carbine in .30-30 but now I can't decide if I should turn it into a trapper with a 16" barrel or send it out to JES and have it turned into a .38-55. The preservationist in me says leave it alone but i'm in it cheaper than what a beater used one would cost around here. Oh what to do???

Boolit Master
    We probably need to make this a sticky.

When faced with any dilemma about a firearm first ask yourself if the problem can be resolved by buying another firearm. If it can, then you have your answer. If it can not, then you’ve not framed the problem correctly.

Boolit Master

I would so enjoy that one stock! I have a Winchester 30-30 from the late 70's or early 80's and can't mount a scope on the darn top ejector. I would love one that I could put optics on, the old eyes aren't so good. And I am not that old!

Boolit Grand Master

That’s an awfully common rifle with modest collector value at best. Customize it. Make it yours.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I have a 336W that was in new condition when I bought it, and it only took me about a minute to decide to have JES make it into a .375 Winchester. Jesse does great work and is reasonable, and my .375 Winchester 336 shoots great!

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Your either or choice in your op seems to modify in both cases( turn it into a Trapper with a 16” barrel or send it out to JES and have it turned into a 38 55.) Since it is not an old, rare gun do either or both. JES does great work.

Boolit Master

I stalled for several years before getting my Marlin bored & rechambered to a 38-55 Winchester by J.E.S., I guess I was reluctant until I heard enough praise from enough people to get it done. I've been thinking of buying another Marlin in 30-30 and having it done into a 38-55 just to see which one is the most accurate and give the other to my grandson.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I say buy another, then send one to JES and cut the other.

I have done just that. Easier to cut a end cap model versus a 2 band model..

Before you go hacking it back to 16 inches, how's your eye sight? I hacked a 39A back to 18 inches ten years ago and now my eye sight has deteriorated to the point that the rifle is almost useless. I will need to scope it now and buy a new one with a 24" barrel for open sight work. Standard Marlin carbine is 20" and you want to hack it back to 16". I'm thinking the scrub must be awfully thick around your place if you need 4" to make a difference. Also 4" will probably cost you about 100 fps in velocity and will increase muzzle blast significantly. The other thing I noticed with the shorter sight radius is that it made the rifle very twitchy, little movements added up to big misses.
    At the end of the day, it's your gun, do with it what you want, but I would recommend that you weigh up all the pros and cons first, including the consequences of deteriorating eye sight over the years.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Nah its not for getting through the scrub and wait a bit thorns. I just think a Marlin trapper looks neat and as for my eyes I just turned 52 so yes they are going south fast. If you guys saw my other thread Marlin 189? huh I'm trying to get that rifle strictly for a trip to JES and his .38-55 machine.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Collecting is great. But my guns are personal to me and I make them fit what I want. They are worth more to me if I am satisfied with them. Collector stuff sets and gets admired but if it is an extention of my desire for it I will use and enjoy it. In Your dilemma it would already be headed out to be rebored.

Boolit Master
    Sell it to real collector for a profit and find a decent pre-safety 30-30 to work over. Nothing against modifying older rifles, I have many Savage 99's that I cut stocks and added recoil pads. They weren't considered valuable in the 80's when I bought most of them. I still cut-off stocks and add recoil pads if it is an honest rifle with some dings or bluing wear. I paid for it - it is mine to do with as I please. If the kids or grandkids sold without regard, I could care less about its history, unless of course it was Teddy Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower...

Boolit Buddy

If it was me -- I'd keep it as is and buy another for modification. Shoot it -- get to know it, I believe you will find that you will develop a fondness for it as is. If not, then you can turn it into a money pit and make whatever mods you want. The beauty, simplicity, and functionality of a 336 30/30 is a bit difficult to understand until you lay hands on one and give it a chance. There are cheap entry level bolt actions available today if you are after numerical velocity or a want to hasten deafening from a short barrel. If you want a fast handling rifle -- put a set of peep sights on it, with a bit of practice you will be amazed at how fast you can acquire a good sight picture and hit your intended target. A 30/30 has a mild report and in lever configuration very fast to shoulder and fire and fire again if necessary.

Well, the only rational thing to do is to make it into a 38-55 trapper. Win-win. 16.5" barrel won't hurt the ballistics of it and oh my the trappers are handy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    [QUOTE=JimB.......

When faced with any dilemma about a firearm first ask yourself if the problem can be resolved by buying another firearm. If it can, then you have your answer. If it can not, then you’ve not framed the problem correctly.[/QUOTE]

I like that answer

Trappers are fun as long as you can see the sights to use then , scopes just seem to defeat the handiness of the rifle .

If you're going to hunt with it and let it accrue character marks over the years who cares what caliber it's in ? Since it doesn't have the idiot switch on it I think I'd make a bigger hole in the barrel and enjoy it . Yes collectors will whimper , but that's the same collectors that only want to give you a hundred bucks for the rifle ......new in the box .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That’s an awfully common rifle with modest collector value at best. Customize it. Make it yours.

This right here.

Keep it and build a 300BO (or 40WT or 30-223 or whatever) pistol, 10". Put a 3x RD on it if needed. My 336 gets lonely.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I say buy another, then send one to JES and cut the other.

I have done just that. Easier to cut a end cap model versus a 2 band model..
    Scopes don't hurt how they handle either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shorties2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	226796

Boolit Bub
    I would second the modify it to make it your own. We all know that everything we own we personalize in some way, so why not go all out and make it into something youre really proud of for whatever application you so desire.
    ADAM HERBERGER

Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Well, the only rational thing to do is to make it into a 38-55 trapper. Win-win. 16.5" barrel won't hurt the ballistics of it and oh my the trappers are handy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Absolutely the same thing im thinking. Let me expound on the "superbness" of the basic Marlin platform for ANY use under the sun.

1 ... the bolt comes out VERY easy for breech cleaning when shooting black powder, my favorite loads in 38-55.

2 ... with a bit of smoothing they are ultra smooth

3 ... the pistol grip model fits me very well and helps me accurately shoot comfortably

4 ... the side eject allows either very good peep instalation or the dreaded scope ( which contrary to popular belief are ultra spiffy on a short 16 inch carbine)

5 ... Easy to do trigger jobs on if need be

6 ... complete tear downs are way easy to accomplish in comparison to the near cousin

There is much to be said for the Marlins and i also live in the camp of modify to your taste and always enjoy the uniqueness of YOUR gun.

As for failing eyes ... mine at 62 are going south as well and i find the short barreled close sights way easier to aquire and focus on that nearer front sight then the longer barreled guns ... just me tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast