Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crow?

I have not try crow yet,I seen in one of my cook books stated that you cook it like you would duck. As for coon, remove as much fat as you can and all the gland under the arm pits and any other places ,they mainly look like Lima bean size. then cook it the way you like.I eat coon ,beaver,muskrat, tree rat, rabbit,possum and other things.With possum it is very fatty. On beaver trim all the fat you can off of the meat.It is really lean meat.Mix it with high fat store bought hamburg you will find a big different in it all. I made turtle soup in the past and came out good.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I crock pot my squirrel and rabbit till the meat falls off the bone. Then I mix it up with either bbq sauce, cream of mushroom, hamburger helper stroganoff, or similar. Good stuff! Both are good but rabbit is awesome.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    around here you can buy coon in possum fat in a can at the local grocery store,and its not good at all
    Why would you buy coon in a can packed in possum fat....that just makes Spam sound so tasty .

I've killed trapped, cooked and eaten a lot of different things in my life ...I'm here to tell you possum fat is to be avoided...it doesn't taste, smell or have a good mouth feel.
    Pack that canned coon in lard or bacon fat and it will taste a lot better.
    Coons aren't bad if you remove the glands under their armpits....that's what will give them an off putting flavor.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Squirrel stew! Onion, garlic, taters, carrots, water, s&p to taste. Simmer until tender, thicken the broth, biscuits on the side!

around here you can buy coon in possum fat in a can at the local grocery store,and its not good at all
    Do tell. Who'd a thunk it? Oy!

Boolit Grand Master

Mom always browned and fried turtle like you would chicken. Was very good. Never had turtle soup. Depending on size turtle needs to be cooked slow to tenderize it. Older biig ones can be tough.

Young woodchucks are good, Older ones can be tough and strong. like most game remove fat and glands when cleaning. These we pit on rotiserie and smoked over low heat 250*-300* for several hours to help tenderize. covered with barbeque sauce the last 45 mins to hour.

Banned

id pass on that. Maybe because im a yankee and my taste buds prefer venison loin on the grill.

When I eat coon id do not want any fat as possible to be with the meat. Also for possum you do not also for how much fat there is on them compare to the coon. Put possum fat with coon is some thing I would not do.

Banned
    My dad had us believe that it was wrong to eat the flesh of carnivores. The only weird thing I ever ate was Raccoon. Had some Raccoon stew once when I was a kid, can't remember what it tasted like but I did think it was good. Squirrels? mmmmm. I love squirrels. Pigeons are good. Crayfish yummy. But stuff like crow, road kill, rats, dog, cat, ...Just say no!
    P.S. I lived in New Tampa several years ago. There was a restaurant that served deep fried bat. The guys from my Church used to dare each other to eat it. ...not me.

Boolit Master
    1. Anyone who eats pork or chicken has no reason to cull any meat! They don't call chickens barn yard buzzards, or hogs garbage disposals for nothing!

2. There's someone some where that knows how to make nearly anything taste good.

3. There are secrets to handling the meat from nearly any animal that will improve its flavor, or ruin it!

I've eaten a bunch of bird pies growing up. An old lady that our family farmed her land would send my brother and I out with a hand full of 410 shells to kill any bird we could get in range, she made pies and they where good! I learned as a younger boy, that folks that survived the depression where not real picky about meat! I also had a friend whose momma could fix bbq raccoon as good as pulled pork, and if you don't get those glands out it taste like a wet dog smells! If you think a raccoons fat, Skin a beaver sometime, but it good meat. Squirrels also have a gland under each arm that when removed make the meat better.

Animals I've tried to eat that where not good to unpalatable? A large fresh water drum tops the list, and robins taste like dirt.

I find possum more fatty then coon and beaver is hardly any fat.Same as muskrat they are not that fatty. I find possum the worst on fat.

Boolit Master
    Growing up I've eaten some crow upon occasion.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Tom W.;4452577]Growing up I've eaten some crow upon occasion.[sm

Me too, and every time it was UN-intentional and left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I would try crow. I have eaten rabbit, groundhog and squirrel. Plenty of deer as well. I will not turn my nose up at anything.

There was a video I watched of a guy who prepared crow and then let his co-workers try it and they all said it tasted like venison and was good.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    EMC45, cross the mountains and go to Cherokee and see if the residents there will bake one for you....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I would try crow. I have eaten rabbit, groundhog and squirrel. Plenty of deer as well. I will not turn my nose up at anything.

There was a video I watched of a guy who prepared crow and then let his co-workers try it and they all said it tasted like venison and was good.
    Crow....the other dark meat !

Crow actually tastes like woodpecker. Not bad , better than an old possum.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

When I lived out West, jackrabbits were abundant, and I have eaten a few of those. Oddly, it is closest to beef of any critter I have tried. the meat is red, and very lean. Marinated in teriyaki and grilled, it is pretty good.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Growing up in the AK bush: Beaver, Porcupine, Muskrat, Lynx, Moose nose, Salmon heads.

Lynx was the best of the six /by far/, with porcupine bringing up the end (so to speak).

Common thread with the above meats (besides the lynx); very, very, very fatty/oily meat - needs lots of rice or potatoes.
    I've had beaver a few times at game feeds. Get all the fat off before cooking and it's great. BBQ beaver sandwiches are a favorite. Didn't care for turtle. Considering they live in the mud, that's exactly what it tasted like.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Do you want fries with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    1. Anyone who eats pork or chicken has no reason to cull any meat! They don't call chickens barn yard buzzards, or hogs garbage disposals for nothing!

2. There's someone some where that knows how to make nearly anything taste good.

3. There are secrets to handling the meat from nearly any animal that will improve its flavor, or ruin it!

I've eaten a bunch of bird pies growing up. An old lady that our family farmed her land would send my brother and I out with a hand full of 410 shells to kill any bird we could get in range, she made pies and they where good! I learned as a younger boy, that folks that survived the depression where not real picky about meat! I also had a friend whose momma could fix bbq raccoon as good as pulled pork, and if you don't get those glands out it taste like a wet dog smells! If you think a raccoons fat, Skin a beaver sometime, but it good meat. Squirrels also have a gland under each arm that when removed make the meat better.

Animals I've tried to eat that where not good to unpalatable? A large fresh water drum tops the list, and robins taste like dirt.

There are no nastier cannibals then chickens and pigs. People dont realize it until you watch them. Very grosse to see but they are tasty

Boolit Master
    When I got married 38 years ago, I ate a lot of crow. Never liked it much so I've learned to keep my mouth shut at the appropriate times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12