Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crow?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Crow?

I always remembered the song of black birds baked in a pie.

I called a few in last winter with my fox pro and grew a pair and pulled the breast out of one and threw it in my crock pot for a good half day on low. I was thinking of all the road kill along the highway it probably ate as I was mAking it.

Well, I pulled it out of my pot and gave it a sniff. It smelled OK...kinda good. So I took a little bite with the garbage can right next to me uncase I threw it up or worse yet messed my pants.

It actually tasted good.

So has anybody else ate crow? Any recipes ???

I was going to try raccoon next but remembered how greasy they were when I skinned a few when I was a kid and couldn't get the lard off my hands.

Super Moderator

Boolit Master

Yes and love the little bites fried!

Boolit Master
    I watch them in the pasture eating bugs and grain out of the horse droppings. They got plenty of food at the grocery store. I have eat coot.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post

Well, if that wouldn't gag a maggot! Lol

...I'm going to have to try it when I bag a few this winter.

Boolit Grand Master

Sauce Piquante

Use this recipe for any game : birds , reptile (alligator) , raccoon , nutria , duck , blackbirds , dove , quail , crow too ....wild or domestic.
    This is Cajun hunting camp sized recipe so you might want to cut it down.

3-5 lbs. meat , usually what was taken on the morning hunt.
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup rendered bacon fat ( or oil)
    1/2 cup AP flour
    2 1/2 cps. chopped onion
    1 1/2 cps. chpd celery
    3/4 cup chpd. bell pepper
    4 teaspoons chopped garlic
    2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
    2 (8 oz.) cans whole tomatoes
    2 cps. hot water or chicken stock
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms ( or 2-6 oz. cans sliced mushrooms)
    1/2 cup chopped green onion
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon hot sauce ( Louisiana or Crystal is my favorite)
    Hot cooked white rice

1. Cut the meat into bite sized pieces, season with salt and pepper. Brown meat in hot skillet with the fat/oil. Remove and set aside.
    2. Add flour to the remaining fat/oil and cook stirring constantly to make a light brown roux. Add onions, celery and bell pepper. Cook 10 minutes.
    3. Add back the browned meat , tomato sauce, tomatoes with liquid , water or broth, and bay leaves.
    Cover and cook on low simmer until meat is tender ...1-2 hours depending on the meat.
    4. Add mushrooms, green onions, parsley and hot sauce, continue cooking 15-20 minutes .
    Serve over hot cooked white rice.

Good recipe to cook just about anything, even beef and pork.
    Add hot peppers in place of or with the bell peppers ....kicks it up a bit.

Gary
    Just so you'll know, crow taste a lot like those big black Pilated Woodpeckers you find in the swamp.... I thought it was a big crow and shot one ....and daddy's rule was " if you shoot it...we put it in the pot ! " He didn't believe in wasting game....wasn't bad at all.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    as a kid I tried a lot of birds,black bird,crow and pigeon id shoot off the church roof and even egret and sand hill cranes,i fried up about everything on my handi dandi coleman camp stove.coon and possum are way to greasy for me

I ate fried clams from out of the lake once. I figured raccoons eat 'em so why not. They were very chewy & not a delicacy I wanted to repeat.

My dad said that he ate a many a field lark when he was a kid. He called them poor-man's quail
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Growing up in the AK bush: Beaver, Porcupine, Muskrat, Lynx, Moose nose, Salmon heads.

Lynx was the best of the six /by far/, with porcupine bringing up the end (so to speak).

Common thread with the above meats (besides the lynx); very, very, very fatty/oily meat - needs lots of rice or potatoes.

Grew up in Northern Minnesota with a Grandfather that was a squirrel hunter from down south.

Mom and I worked out a deal. I killed it, cleaned it, she cooked it. Later we collaborated on projects like snapping turtle soup.

Grackles, starlings, hundreds of pidgons along with rabbit, squirrel, gopher went into the pot.

I never tried crow.

Most things cooked slow and wet were good. Coots I never cared for. Just could not seem to get the stink of the marsh out of them.

Muskrats, coons beaver all fine. Never did a ground hog but I have been tempted the last couple years. Got one living under my shed.

Coon I had was baked, was very fatty/greasy. I think it would have been better cooked in a gravy. Trim as much fat off ahead as possible. Cut up like a big rabbit.

Boolit Master

Squirrels (tree rats)... the first time I cooked them in the crock pot and my daughter saw me fish a whole one out to eat... OMG you would have thought the world ended! I like them in BBQ sauce for several hours. She has eaten them since, just did not realize it.

Boolit Master
    we like squirrels smothered in gravy over rice,hard meal to beat,i like rabbit the same way

Nope not gonna try it . Or any other scavenger Animal or bird that eat other dead and rotting animals . If I had no other choice and was on deaths door yeah do what you gotta do , but I'm not so I won't.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

best way to do rabbits for me was a way I conned the kids into eating them when they were young. Id bone them out cut them in strips dip them in drakes batter and deep fry them. I called them rabbit mc nuggets and the kids licked them up. For the adults id take about half of the nuggets and put them in a frying pan with cream of mushroom soup and a fried onion and serve it over noodles.

Boolit Buddy
    Crow is better when cut into small bits. The coon is a very sweet meat its pretty good with a sweet potato.

We had a somewhat unusual situation growing up. The farm flooded regularly, so there was no house out there. Dad moved the family into a rather nice large house, first house on the south side of town. Kitty corner from the school, less than a block away.

Because of our advantages position they had a general rule. On an activity night, we could bring one friend home for supper.

So my sister tended to vary between M and T.

This night it was M. There was a big bowl of rice on the table, bread, 2 vegitables, etc. And mom came in carrying this big tureen of meat and gravy.

All was well until mom went digging into the pot, and she was hunting. Came up with a head which is what she wanted.

M gave out a little gasp, sat there white as a sheet.

"Is that what it looks like?"

What does it look like?

Tried again, "Is that a squirrel head"

Ayup. And she sat there horrified as mom sucked all the meat off the outside, and then sucked out the inside.

Conversation followed about squirrels. And then to put the cherry on top. Dad told her that the squirrel had come from her dad's cattle pasture. Which was true enough.

M did not eat with us anymore. Although her dad got a pretty good kick out of hearing the story.
    And I did not lose my hunting priviledges in his cattle pasture down by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I ate fried clams from out of the lake once. I figured raccoons eat 'em so why not. They were very chewy & not a delicacy I wanted to repeat.

My dad said that he ate a many a field lark when he was a kid. He called them poor-man's quail
    Did the clam thing...out if the river in the backyard when I was a kid. It was like eating rubber.

I have turtle in the freezer I need to do something with. I've tried soup and batter frying. Both good but I'm sure there are other receipies.

Boolit Master
    Crab and lobster?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Did the clam thing...out if the river in the backyard when I was a kid. It was like eating rubber.

I have turtle in the freezer I need to do something with. I've tried soup and batter frying. Both good but I'm sure there are other receipies.
    Try gwpercle's recipe. That's basically an etouffee recipe. Has a creole twist with the tomatoes. Its a fantastic recipe with any meat or seafood.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    around here you can buy coon in possum fat in a can at the local grocery store,and its not good at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast