Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 450 base dimensions....

Boolit Master

Lyman 450 base dimensions....

It is going to be a couple of weeks before I can get to my 450's. Could someone tell me the base dimension from the back to the drop down on the front that over hangs the bench? Also, it would be great to have the widest side to side dimension as well.

I need to find a chunk of aluminum scrap to start my heater project and I forgot to measure last week.

Thanks Matt

Boolit Grand Master

I just now saw this thread. My 450 measures 3-15/16" from the turn down to the back and is 3" wide. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

Just what I needed to know.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I used a 4x5 piece of.75” thick aluminum. I had enough space at the rear of the plate to mount my thermostat too.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

I got a heater for my years ago on Midway. have it all set up and just bolt and then plug in when needed. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...ricator-heater
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Attachment 227304Attachment 227305Attachment 227306
    Here is my homemade heater 1/2" plate and a 1/4" 100 watt cartridge heater I got off flebay. Use a dimmer to control temp and it works great. Thicker aluminum would be easier to drill but I used a drill press to minimize mistakes. Butt splice the wires together and taped them up and ran them in some pvc for protection. I had the 1/2" plate already so I have less than $10 in it.
    Last edited by murf205; 09-18-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    What keeps the aluminum base from acting as a heat sink rather than radiating more to the press? I've been wanting to make one of these and have been trying to determine how to isolate the heat from transferring to the bench top as well.

Boolit Master

On my earlier than shown above, Midway heater there is a thin layer of cork that does that insulating.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy

The aluminum absorbs the heats first, it will always be warmer than sizer. Once everything is warmed up it maintains a consistent temperature.
    I have a cork gasket seperating my steel bench from the heater. Works great. Probably not needed on a wood bench, but it wouldn't hurt to have some insulation there.

Boolit Master
    You only need 100deg so it's not going to ignite anything. I bought electronic control (pid?) on ebay. I drilled a hole in the base of the luber for the probe so I get the temp of the luber instead of the AL base. Drill a hole in the base for the heating element, set the temp and wait a few minutes. The temp doesn't vary more than a couple of degrees. Cost is about $15.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    What keeps the aluminum base from acting as a heat sink rather than radiating more to the press? I've been wanting to make one of these and have been trying to determine how to isolate the heat from transferring to the bench top as well.
    Mine is setting directly on the wooden bench top and if the wood is acting as a heat sink, I cant tell. The temp is only warm to the touch and not hot. If you look at the pics of my sizer, you can tell when I got the heat a bit too warm because it ran out of the sizer way too thin. I have a mark on my dimmer switch for a reference point. The 100watt cartridge heater is plenty and you should start at a low setting to avoid melting the lube. Works great for me.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!