Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you buy a pistol length single stage press

Boolit Master

No, I would not... I load a 10 or 12 ammo cans full of pistol stuff every winter on a Rock Chucker and I do not want to mount a mini press other than my 1 partner press that does about 80% of my priming work. Winter for me is casting and loading season. Do not enjoy progressive presses, never get comfortable that the charge is right or that this or that is right. With the chucker... no doubt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Along these lines...I'd love to see a Ram extension for the full stroke press. Something that slides into the shell holder slot but is about 2-2.5" long that has a shell holder on the top for the shorter cases. Generally, a half stroke press. It would give my press a more enjoyable feel when doing pistol cartridges. I'm not a machinist or I'd have made one a long time ago.

redhawk
    RCBS make extended shell holders that are almost exactly that.
    The difference is they are shell holders so you'd have to buy one of each size you load for.
    It would be good if they had a universal shell holder mount though.

Boolit Master
    All you need is a press with less mechanical advantage over the first half of the travel. This results in the ram moving further and faster for less movement of the handle. The RCBS Jr works well for loading pistol ammo. Contrary to the volume reloaders opinions you can reload short pistol rounds one at a time with a little patience.

I have a Harrells magnum length press. While the PPC might seem ok for pistol rounds it is not very strong. I don't think the linkage would handle anything but neck sizing and bullet seating.
    EDG

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've used several full sized presses over the years, Herters, Lee Challenger, RockChucker, couple Lymans and a Pacific. I load maybe 100 rounds of rifle a year, 7MM-08, 38-55, 32 W.S. I traded into a new Redding Boss a couple years ago, didn't want it, didn't need it and it layed under the bench for a year. Then I was asked if I knew of a used RC for sale. I thought about 10 seconds and said yeah, and pointed at the one on my bench. It went away. I mounted the little Redding in a better location than the RC had been in and never looked back. It has a sweet stroke, and is very smooth and the little magnetic box looks like an after thought but it is the best primer catcher I have ever used on a mounted press. Redding Boss.....all the way!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

A press only for short cartridges? Nope, I wouldn't buy one. Even reloading 100 rounds + on my Co-Ax, with it's long stroke is no reason for a dedicated press, IMO. When I tire of the long stroke, I just install a short handle or grip the yoke. Mebbe if I had an 18' long bench with 5 other presses mounted I might have a need/want for a short stroke press.

I looked at the adapter on the Midway site, but they don't give any dimensions, so I would prolly not purchase one of those either....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

In industry presses strokes are size to the dies set and thickness of the parts. WIth a thin part and short die set the shorter stroke results in several pluses. 1) less wear do to lowered movement and friction. A 6" stroke for 1/8" parts is a lot of wasted motion, a 2" stroke for 1/8" parts saves 4" movement and increases strokes per minute at the same speed. 2) More accurate movement due to machine members in ways and or guides better. 3) easier lubrication maintained. 4) less wear is incurred with lowered friction heat issues.

On a reloading press the shorter stroke could give gains in several areas. 1) increased leverage with the same handle movement. 2) quicker operation with the same leverage. 3) shorter handle throw with the same leverage. 4) less fatigue to the operator due to shorter handle movement. Again all pluses.

The lee set up on their presses lends itself to setting up for this. A hose clamp or stop collar on the ram to make stop for down stroke and then adjust handle for same. This will give the upper end leverage the press originally had and the shortened stroke.

Boolit Master
    I know a guy that only loaded 38s on his RL1050. So he short stroked the operation to save on time and motion.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    That ram extension's a neat thing - I have #3 RCBS extended shell holders for my 45ACP shot shell die sets but had never seen the ram extension. I foresee getting one for the other shotshells I'll be making LOL- Oh and it's $4.99 on Amazon with an order over $25 to make postage free, if you do Amazon. (I find myself frustrated with a few companies that're being idiots lately!)

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess this thread gets at the reason I still have and use my TruLine Jr presses. Other than lacking power for FL resizing my brass, they are scaled just right for my 32S&W Longs, for instance.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12