WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a pistol length single stage press

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Would you buy a pistol length single stage press

Look at the post count , I ain't selling nothin'.

I'm wondering if a single stage press like a modified Partner press would sell for the express use of pistol loading .
    Something with the camover at the bottom but with a shorter stroke say 2.5" instead of 4+" . I've looked at "just resetting a Lee handle", seems like I even tried it on a couple that came and went . I think the answer lays in an actual shorter throw press for all of the .77-1.35" cases (the Casaull is right there isn't it?).

Since the Partner , RC, RCII , Big Max , Lee turret and a Lyman Crusher are all I have recent/sufficient experience with ..... wait there were a couple really old "C" presses too maybe a Spartan and a Pacific .......

Maybe a handle stop on an old upstroke "C " press is the simplest way to get what I'm talking about.

If applied to a light "0" frame is there any interest or is it just a novelty ? If applied to a progressive or turret type of press maybe ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Any press that I buy would have to be super strong with no aluminum or pot metal, so for a dedicated pistol press a down sized Co-ax would work.

Boolit Buddy
    As I recall at one time there was a pistol press made.
    Smaller throat opening and shorter ram movement.

Boolit Master

A C-H "H" press is wonderful for doing short stuff
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Super Moderator Emeritus
    A harrels ppc length press would do what you want they are not cheap but strong and short stroke.

Boolit Grand Master

On the lee presses with the adjustable handle a hose clamp around the ram on the right place and adjusting the handle to where it should be will give a good idea of how it will work. on the lee turrets with the 3 rods shorter rods could be made to lower/ shorten press, then new links to adjust stroke. It is a viable idea for a dedicated postol press. The shorter stroke and maintaining the same leverage would require less movement of the handle. Where the "shorter" press and stroke would really shine is sizing bullets those 3-4" stroes to push a bullet thru the sizing die when 1-1 1/4 is needed is a lot of wasted motion.

Along these lines...I'd love to see a Ram extension for the full stroke press. Something that slides into the shell holder slot but is about 2-2.5" long that has a shell holder on the top for the shorter cases. Generally, a half stroke press. It would give my press a more enjoyable feel when doing pistol cartridges. I'm not a machinist or I'd have made one a long time ago.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I use a dedicated Antique Pacific C press just for the manner in which you describe loading short pistol cases. For the short stroke parts of the reloading I just let the handle come down and stop in my lap or on my leg while my two hands are grabbing cases, primer, or bullets to put on top of the ram.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Along these lines...I'd love to see a Ram extension for the full stroke press. Something that slides into the shell holder slot but is about 2-2.5" long that has a shell holder on the top for the shorter cases. Generally, a half stroke press. It would give my press a more enjoyable feel when doing pistol cartridges. I'm not a machinist or I'd have made one a long time ago.

redhawk
    I've seen these. I can't remember where, but they are out there.

Super Moderator

Here's a link to one on Midway. Might not be long enough though...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ed-shellholder

PJim boy howdy you ain't kidding ! $208

C Gent that's exactly what I was thinking about .

I don't think that even the leverage would be a big deal . I don't need a lot of leverage for 380 ,9 mm , 40 , 38/357 , 45s etc . I don't load 1000s , but if I could throw 8" instead 14-18" I could maybe run 150 in just a little more time than 100 on say a RCII .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Here's a link to one on Midway. Might not be long enough though...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ed-shellholder
    Much appreciated...I just bought one. I never searched for Shell holder extension...I always used Ram Extension in my search and never came up with anything.

I'll have one next week.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

There many old iron presses out there, that never wear out and don't cost an army and a leg. I am partial to the Pacific C and Super C presses as that is what I started with in 1958. I don't know what a "pistol length" press is, as these presses will take full length magnum rifle cases. The one is the pic is circa 1935.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacific C circa 1935.jpg small.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    The Handloaders Digest 5th edition (1970) lists the Fall Precision Reloader PR-7 press
    It listed for $27.95, 3 5/8 opening, "O" type press.

Char-Gar , I think I noted that an up stroke press might fill the need .
    Its cumbersome to run the Big Max A4 to size 380 and a 25 ACP or 5.7 would just look silly in that big honking press . So a more svelte 3/4" ram with say 2.5" of vertical travel instead of the more common 4+ inches would be great on my bench . I have enough press to make 22 Loudenboomerearcanspliter from 50 BMG with 2 step dies and with the Big Max I could probably make 250 Savage from 06' in one pass although from 243 or 7mm-08 would make more sense .
    I'm thinking I don't always need 200 ftlbs and 4" of throw there are a lot of applications for 2.5" and 100ft . That is what I was looking for . That and I guess the thing I don't like about Lee is that they don't have a positive stop that proves it's 100% of throw .

Boolit Master

Made an extended shell holder about 10 years ago. Used it in my Texan to reload 380. Worked quite well.

I had seen extended shell holders, but made mine to use standard shell holders so one extension can be used for any short cartridge.

I doubt if a press such as you envision would find much of a market. Folks are looking for a high production pistol press or a do-all rifle and pistol press. Such a press would be cute and compact, but not very marketable. At least in my opinion.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I agree with Char-Gar. I Load everything on either a single stage press, or a lee hand press. If I was going to get a dedicated pistol only press, I'd want faster production than the single stage affords. With a C press, you can make short work of processing pistol brass however, and the extra stroke length doesnt hinder me at all. In fact, the extra stroke length makes me able to adjust the brass an extra split second as my other hand is running the handle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    The Handloaders Digest 5th edition (1970) lists the Fall Precision Reloader PR-7 press
    It listed for $27.95, 3 5/8 opening, "O" type press.
    They also made just the press the OP is asking about. A half size C press for handguns only, and maybe 222 but nothing larger. It was cast iron with an aluminum model in the works when they went out of business.

PRC 3.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    I will never reload pistol calibers on a single stage press. I cannot imagine a better way to market something guaranteed to fail.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast