RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger American Predator - Stock w/edges that will CUT YOU...

Boolit Master

Ruger American Predator - Stock w/edges that will CUT YOU...

Purchased the subject rifle in 308 caliber and am looking forward to someday shooting and accurizing it. The stock that came on it can be called a "Finger Cutter" and is difficult and uncomfortable to hold. All along the axis of the barrel on both sides is a very hard, very sharp, 90-degree, injection molded edge - much like a cast bullet "fin". I am in contact with Ruger Customer Service and sent them requested photos (some below). They are considering what I have shown them and what they can do about it.

Any other American Predator owners with similar or perhaps different stock options? Is what I bought the way it is supposed to be? I hope not...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg   IMG_0005.jpg   IMG_0007.jpg  
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

looks like molded in color, so if it were mine and i overall liked it except the edges, i would lightly hit the edges with some 400grit( or finer) wet/dry sand paper, wet of course.

Boolit Master

Thanks lefty o. I have considered several options, sand paper, drawing a sharp edge (like a knife or Exacto blade) down the edge and length of the stock, and hitting the end product with a smidgen of "canned heat" to round off the final edge. I do not know how heat tolerant the stock is. I don't even know what it is made of, other than "plastic", and there are varieties in that.

Before I do any of these I wanted to ask the manufacturer for their opinion - and I did not ask them for a replacement stock, just their thoughts on how to soften the edges. They are considering options and I want to give them a voice before I modify something that might change its intrinsic value or worse - screw it up.

I have hopes that some with similar rifles will offer their observations on the manner in which their stocks are made. Similarly? Different?

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't hesitate to break that edge with sandpaper on a sanding block, blend it as best I could. I have been known to paint most of my plastic stocks anyway.

I put an aftermarket RamLine synthetic stock on my Ruger M77-MKII LH. I had similar sharp edges on it when it arrived. I took 320grit paper (wet with water) to the really bad edges, then followed up with 400grit (wet). Its a very comfortable hold now.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to break that edge with sandpaper on a sanding block, blend it as best I could. I have been known to paint most of my plastic stocks anyway.
    ^^^this^^^^^^, me too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    ^^^this^^^^^^, me too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Mine was like that. I didn't take the time that Texas by God and Rick Hodges suggested, rather I just took my rotary tool to it and ground it smooth enough for me. After all, that polymer stock isn't exactly gonna ever be a collectable antique. And if you will accurate it somesay, the crappy polymer stock will have to go anyways.

Boolit Master

Ruger CS in NC is sending me a new stock, one that is a later improvement with smoother lines than the born on date of my current stock. I have asked them if they would accept the old stock back in exchange, shipped to them on my dime. No word on that as yet.

Boolit Master

good to hear they are taking care of you. my guess is that they wont want the old stock back.

Boolit Grand Master

On sharp edges a fine 6" swiss cut file does wonders to break sharp edges and lightly radius the corners. I find the file easier to keep lines straight and even than sand paper