Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1916 mauser 45acp conversion

Boolit Master

1916 mauser 45acp conversion

Has anyone done the Rhineland arms 45acp conversion to a mauser? If so what kind of tinkering was needed to make it work consistently? I am debating doing this to one of my parts rifles and the only vids I have found only show a completed rifle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I am pretty sure that it was well discussed here including some "Little" issues that can creep up. I know someone that was successful will chime in and others will provide the links to historical projects.
    I was building mine on an action that had been given to me and got as far as headspacing and found issues with the safety alignment and it had bottom metal much too nice to hack up to attach the mag adapter and make the magazine release work.

Like several other projects something new and shiny appeared and I set it back to work on "later". Maybe if you stir things up enough it will spur me to complete the project, but I will need some lower quality lower metal to modify first. Dang, then I will need a 93, 95 stock for it also.

I have been thinking recently about getting it out and firing it as only an upper just to see a boolit go down range.
    Stir things up and get me moving on this project.

Too bad they don't offer a 30-30 set up the same way, though I'm thinking out of a carbine the 45 ACP may well make a short range cast boolit deer zapper especially with heavy for cartridge cast boolit. The Lee 255 grainer that I cast for instance.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-07-2018 at 01:04 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I am pretty sure that it was well discussed here including some "Little" issues that can creep up. I know someone that was successful will chime in and others will provide the links to historical projects.
    I was building mine on an action that had been given to me and got as far as headspacing and found issues with the safety alignment and it had bottom metal much too nice to hack up to attach the mag adapter and make the magazine release work.

Like several other projects something new and shiny appeared and I set it back to work on "later". Maybe if you stir things up enough it will spur me to complete the project, but I will need some lower quality lower metal to modify first. Dang, then I will need a 93, 95 stock for it also.

I have been thinking recently about getting it out and firing it as only an upper just to see a boolit go down range.
    Stir things up and get me moving on this project.

Too bad they don't offer a 30-30 set up the same way, though I'm thinking out of a carbine the 45 ACP may well make a short range cast boolit deer zapper especially with heavy for cartridge cast boolit. The Lee 255 grainer that I cast for instance.
    My idea was for a truck gun/camp carbine. But I am still debating on it due to potential reliability issues. I may still go 35rem or 6.5x55. So I'm still on the fence.

Boolit Master

I did one and the magazine I used was what caused the feeding problem.
    I did mine like the picture on the website, looks like a tanker version of a 98 Mauser!
    Fun to shoot!

The ones I've seen pics of are pretty neat.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master

I've now done 3 M98 conversions, 2 M93 (M1916) conversions and a SMLE conversion.

The SMLE conversion is the simplest to do and has a lot less feeding issues Because the cartridge has a much shorter distance from magazine to barrel.

The Mauser actions are problematic to get to feed reliably regardless of the magazine though milsurp mags usually work best. There is a long leap from the magazine to the barrel across the locking lug area of the receiver. The only thing holding the cartridge is the extractor. The cartridge rim must slip up under the extractor with the face of the cartridge against the bolt face before the cartridge leaves the magazine. The M98 bolt face has a lip extending forward on the left side to facilitate this holding the cartridge straight against the bolt face, The M93/M1916 bolts do not. The extractor also must be shaped correctly with just enough tension. Too much tension and it pushes the rim out the left side of the bolt face and the cartridge pops out before entering the chamber or the bullet nose jams into the right side of the breach face. Too little tension and the cartridge slips out the bottom of the bolt before it gets to the chamber.

Once I understood all that I tweaked the M98s so they feed 100% reliably. I only got one of the M93s to feed reliably. The other is reliable if only 5 rounds are in the magazine.

I also did a couple other things not mentioned in the directions. I explain it better in this thread; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...117481-Oh-Baby!

There was another thread started by someone else where I also explained the other mods done But I couldn't locate it.

Here are a couple I have done (M98s);

Attachment 226791Attachment 226792
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I built one on a M38 Turk. There's pictures of it somewhere on the site. I tossed the Rhineland extractor and fitted an extractor box from an Arisaka type 99. It was a bit of work, but it looks better and works better too. I also made a feed ramp between the front of the magazine holder and the receiver feed ramp, filling in that space so the cartridges wouldn't take a nose dive when they stripped from the magazine. A Mauser in 45acp is a fun gun to shoot, but it takes a lot of work to make one that's reliable, and other than the fun aspect it has limited usefulness. A 6.5x55 Mauser would be a vastly more useful camp rifle. It is a superb medium game round, and is very accurate in a good rifle. There is a lot of work involved in doing the 45acp conversion when done right, but building a 6.5x55 would require little more than rebarreling the action, (and checking the head space of course!) This would give you a much better rifle.

Boolit Master
    The only issue with going 6.5x55 is i would need to buy/ borrow a finish reamer and gauges. Another option I was offered was.257 Roberts or 35rem but I would need the reamer and gauges for the 35rem too

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Another option is to do a break-open single-shot. John Taylor did a .45 ACP barrel for me to fit onto a pre-WW2 .44/.410 small frame action, which I am very happy with. He used a Green Mountain Gunsmith Special .45 ACP blank and .38-40 reamer to rough the chamber, so that the barrel had a rim seat . This permits in addition to .45 ACP either .45 Cowboy Special or .455 Webley brass. The chamber was finish reamed with a standard .45 ACP reamer to provide the stop surface at the case mouth to headspace rimless .45 ACP cases. John's rimless ejector design is clever as when the action is open the claw drops below the diameter of the case body so .45 ACP round can be dropped straight in. When the action is closed the claw positively engages either rimmed or rimless cases.

The thinner rims of .455 Webley actually headspace on the extractor. Ignition of WW2 era milsurp .45 ACP and .455 ammo is 100%. The rifle is also useable with .44 Game Getter shotshells assembled with Starline 5 in 1 blank cases. Ejection is positive and accuracy quite satisfactory. Typical ten-shot 25 yard iron sight groups with military ammo in .45 ACP and .455 are shown. The .455 is almost silent when fired from the 20-inch rifle barrel and is like a pop gun. Also shown is a pattern firing No.8 shot at 15 feet from the .45 rifle, the D1C repair center is 11 inches square, the inner ring 4" and the outer ring 8".

Attachment 226933Attachment 226934Attachment 226935Attachment 226936Attachment 226937
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    OP75, I have read a prior post of yours on that rifle, and think it is one of the neatest rifles that I have ever seen.
    Love the (X-S?) rear aperture as well. Overall, a very well thought-out project.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the idea of a shotshell for a 45ACP! I have a number 1 rolling block with that chambering. I would love to have some detail on your load, dies, etc.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishoot View Post
    I like the idea of a shotshell for a 45ACP! I have a number 1 rolling block with that chambering. I would love to have some detail on your load, dies, etc.
    Full instructions here:

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/t...ank-cases.html
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Also:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...tshell-results

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-77286.html

I have the RCBS die set to make 45 ACP shotshells out of 308 family brass, finally got the chop saw needed and need to get that all working and post documentation on it (And pay someone I owe some set up cases, FINALLY, they've been pretty dang patient!) Hacksawing them to fit, sucks when you're doing a bunch. Chop saw will be far nicer!

Boolit Buddy
    I hate this site (just kidding). I always leave it with more projects. Thanks gentlemen!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    there are pictures of my Mauser 45 acp build in my profile album. drilling and installing 3, 1/8 wide flat springs as a guide solves feed problems.
    bolt pushes springs down as it closes. I built this when i was recovering from knee surgery. making a stock and fitting small modifications took longer than any thing.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    This really sounds fun, I need to get some things DONE tho before starting new projects...

It seems like the 1891 Mauser with it's single column feed would be a candidate for a .45ACP conversion. And the non controlled feed might help. I wish I had one to play with.

Boolit Grand Master

The M91 Mauser is a definite no-go for this conversion. There is nothing to control the round when it pops out of the magazine and the chamber is about the last place it goes........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Maybe i will do the 35rem with the Rhineland arms barrel