Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to close expanded neck on a rifle case without crimping?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Yes, the expanded case without a bullet drops into chamber.
    Ok, is it possible that your boolits might be a little oversized, or the neck portion of your chamber might be a little tight? If not, that slight flaring of the case mouth might simply just be too much for the drop-fit. Factory loads don't have that feature, therefore they won't have that problem.
    Since you're getting best accuracy that way and the rounds chamber with only slight resistance, I'd be tempted to live with it as long as there are no other problems. Fire off a few magazines full, slow-fire and rapid-fire, see if they feed reliably. If they do (again, if it was my rifle) I might leave well enough alone and enjoy those accurate handloads.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

To the OP I hope I read your question correctly, In order to get the neck back to spec size, I just adjust the seating die to take the neck expansion out. Prior to FCD there were three die sets, and if you use the Powder Through die, there was an ability to expand the mouth, then the bullet seating die, when adjusted properly will take the 'bell' out of the mouth and bring the neck back to SAMMI specs, or to your specs. Read the die setup instructions thoroughly. It's all in there, really.
    Last edited by trixter; 09-17-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Its going to depend on the rifle and chamber, and amount of bell, but you might not need to close it up. I use barely enough bell at the mouth to start the bullet in my Win 94's and they chamber fine without trying to take out the bell after loading the cartridge. My Mauser doesn't like it, so on that one I just touch it up with the crimp die-- not to add a crimp but to smooth out the bell.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

I have done it using bushing sizer dies. one bushing to size and one bushing to iron out the bell. The bushing dies offer a lot of options using them 1) sizing right to size and not needing to expand back up. this may require a couple dies as brass varies in thickness. 2) the ability to iron out bells and expansion with out an actual crimp. 3) the ability to adjust neck tension of loaded rounds. 4) another often overlooked benefit is my Meacham die will do 45-70, 45-90, 40 65, and 38-56 with just bushing changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12