Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Picked up a new Henry single shot in .223 today, shooting it and first impressions!

Boolit Master

Picked up a new Henry single shot in .223 today, shooting it and first impressions!

Was in a neighboring town today, and stopped in at a large gun/pawnshop that usually has pretty good prices on their guns. I picked up a new unfired Henry .223 single shot in the box, for $329 out the door. The wood was beautiful, fit and finish was what you expect from them, very nice. I got it home, swabbed the oil out of the barrel and promptly folded down my benchrest and tried the iron sights out at 100yds on my home range. I held on the center of my gong, for 4 shots, and kept all of them in just a little over a 2" group, about 2" high! My action is butter smooth in opening, closing and extraction. The trigger, seems to be a 2 stage with a glitch at the end of the first half of the pull, then the remaining pull is about #4, and repeatable. When you get to the glitch, the trigger remains there even when you release it, then you can pull on thru. I may take it apart and stone the trigger and sear, but for right now, I can live with it!! I only shot 4 times because a thunderstorm with a lot of lighting, just though I would share!

Oh my golly gosh, what a .22 cast boolit squirler.
    Nice find sir!

Boolit Master
    Anyone got any .223 caliber cast bullet loads they would want to share, between 50-65 grain bullet weight, that would work with a 1-9 twist? That is the twist listed in their booklet! I would love find a light load that I could use on small game!

Boolit Buddy
    18 grains IMR4895 under a 55 grain Lee works without gas check in my 1:7. Mine's an AR, so I have to go hotter, for the action to work but that load puts 'em on target. And my 5 y old can shoot it. Best guess is it's roughly equivalent to a 22 mag.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    this afternoon I saw a big chuck out in the field by the barn, went into the shop and got the Henry .223, slipped out and took a rest up against a post, and the crack of the rifle, he wilted and then his tail came up stiff waving goodbye to the cruel world! LOL! I shot the chuck with my rangefinder, he was exactly 147 yards, not bad for open sights!

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    this afternoon I saw a big chuck out in the field by the barn, went into the shop and got the Henry .223, slipped out and took a rest up against a post, and the crack of the rifle, he wilted and then his tail came up stiff waving goodbye to the cruel world! LOL! I shot the chuck with my rangefinder, he was exactly 147 yards, not bad for open sights!
    The way my eyesight is going, I would say `What field`? Good shot! I`ve been pondering getting something like this.Robert