Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 35 whelen carbine canon is done!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

My 35 whelen carbine canon is done!

My special order 2018' Remington 7600 35 whelen carbine came about a month or so back. I ordered a factory grey laminate stock set made around 06' from numerics gun parts. I went through three stock sets from them...the first two boxes looked like a reach ran them over and the stocks were damaged. The third I had to buff out a few scratches and there also was a little clear chipped off around the edge of the black pistol grip. Numerics said that was the best stock they had in inventory and they've been "tossed" around on the shelves over the years of collecting dust. They are the only place on the planet that had them and I have a 7600 carbine twin in 35 rem I bought for my dad when the last special run was done in 06' and I sweet talkeded the dealer at the time to do a stock switch to grey lamite from wood grain so I wanted matching rifles. The stock swap was around $60-80 of I remember at the time. I really wish Remington did this run with the normal 22" barrel but I was just excited to be able to get a 7600 chambered in 35 whelen that I pulled the trigger on the purchase the second I found out they were available. A 22" barreled version will be on my bucket list yet.

I didn't put quickie see throughs on it this time around...I had a set for some reason laying around in my gun parts. Instead I ordered a "Low" DNZ mount to give it a modern look. I bought a DNZ mount and have it on my savage 220 slugger and like it. The 220 will shoot sub MOA at a 100 yards with Remington 3" accutips so I trust the mount.

I wanted a good field of view so I went with a Nikon pro staff 5 2.5x10 40 mm. There was plenty of clearance between the bell and the barrel. I was going to go with a quick detach set up but figured I'd never take the optic off anyways and wanted it at solid as possible with the caliber I chose.

I polished the trigger group and added a lighter trigger spring. It still has travel but now brakes a 2 lbs.

I just have to figure out what kind of sling mount I want to go with now. Don't know if I want a barrel clamp like my old faithful 84' 30-06 it's sitting next to. I just have to clean the barrel and head to the range to get it sighted in. Hope it shoots as good as my 06'. With my 180 gr core loct reloads the 06' shot a .448" group at a 100 yards when I load tested it and it cloverleaved last year checking to see if it was sighted in.

The trigger guard is Metal but not like the steel using in my 84'. It seems to be a a lighter alloy that's painted. Some of the paint already rubbed off taking it out a few times playing with the trigger. I touched it up. At least it's not plastic. The new style magazine has a plastic bottom which looks cheap. I can't believe Remington cheapened and did this. The composite stock it came with had issues as well. The butt pad hung over the top and bottom by a quarter in both ways. They send me another. Both will now sit in a closet. The action tube had. 4" scratch which in time they all do after pumping so many times. Remington sent me a spare as well. I'll keep it till the present one gets unbearable to look at and then replace it. I'm on a mission for a couple old style all metal magazines. I'm not a big fan of how they put the serial number on the front face of the receiver with a "scan" box next to it either but I'm getting use to it. I bought a box of hornady super performance ammo to sight it in and have a couple boxes of 180gr Speer hot cores laying around, a 100 Remington new casings, and dies ready to go. Once the group buy closes on the 200 gr HP mold I'll be in business.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-06-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice! Be sure to get a muzzle blast pic!

Boolit Master
    ive got the predecessor to these,the 760 its a 67 model,its a 06,i really like the looks of the gray wood on your rifle

Boolit Master
    FWIW, Boyd's makes an identical stock in your choice of laminate colors. In fact, they probably made that stock for Remington.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    FWIW, Boyd's makes an identical stock in your choice of laminate colors. In fact, they probably made that stock for Remington.
    I wish Boyd’s was identical. It’s not even close or I would have bought theirs. The stock set was made by another company for Remington limited run firearms back in 2006. I researched it years ago when I bought the other set for my dads 35 rem. I called Boyd’s and Remington and both told me they me they didn’t make it. It was a place called Bob’s or something similar sounding. They did a really nice job on them. They are higher end than Boyd’s. I have a few Boyd’s and they’re really nice don’t get me wrong but the fit and finish is a hundred fold above them. The stock has a extremely thick hi gloss like like their old stocks of the day that is not done anymore. It has the factory logo Remington scroll engraved on the buttstock as well. The laminate has the factory stamped crosshatch in the wood grips like all wood and synthetics stocks did of the day. I had the stock set ordered the same day I ordered the firearm. It’s a OEM factory original limited edition stock set and not an aftermarket to keep the resale value on the rise instead of an aftermarket set that would do the opposite. It’s like buying a Cadillac with factory upgrades vs throwing a set of spinners on it from a parts store. Dose nothing but decrease the value and turns buyers off. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t plan on selling it but I would like to keep a limited run firearm even more desirable with factory upgraded options...if that’s even possible. A relative will be excited some day to inherit it. I would have liked the mate brown laminate set they made so our firearms could be a little different. I could find the brown laminate pump but the buttstock isn’t available anywhere. I have a hi gloss grey laminate 700 stock from my 300 RUM from the same company that came factory with it back in 2000’. I sanded the gloss with 600 grit sandpaper and bedded my 375 RUM in it.

BTW the cheek weld on the stock lines up with the open sights perfectly. I read that the reason Remington and Grices designed it with a straight stock was for quick shooting and sight alignment and the raised comb is too high and blocks your eye alignment...not true.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-06-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thats a nice trombone. Should give a nice blast as you blase away!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of the current run just before Christmas.I wanted a Whelen carbine for a long time.I wish it had a wood or laminate stock.I'm just glad to get a carbine.

Not that you need it now, but you probably know the buttstock from the 870 LT-20 gauge shotgun will fit the 7600/760. A low comb with peep sights would be a cool combo. That Whelen is nice! " That's not a carbine- THIS is a carbine!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Nice! Be sure to get a muzzle blast pic!
    The best way to get a muzzle blast picture is to do it a half hour after the sun sets, and use a flash on the camera with a long shutter exposure, say one or two seconds, when the shooter sees the flash he pulls the trigger.
    If you can, point the flash up or block most of it with a piece of paper taped over the flash.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

Boolit Master
    Have you shot this yet, been 3 months now, give us an update!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nice, nice, nice!! Would love to see a 7600 in .35 Remington.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I like it, scope is mounted low and with that monte stock should be sweet fitting, nice!
    Charter Member #148

That thing is gorgeous

Boolit Master

I wish my shoulder was tough enough to handle full pressure loads in .35 Whelan. I have a 76 in .35 Rem that belonged to my father. I currently hunt with a 7600P in .308 with a 16 inch barrel. Nice muzzle flash. If you get a good hit on a deer inside 20 yards, the muzzle blast will cook it medium rare.

Boolit Master

That is a very nice looking rifle. Have fun with it.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    Have owned a couple .35whelens and an AI'd whelen, and own a .30-06 7600.

If you're not shooting 250gr bullets from your whelen, why own it? .30-06 will do more and have more variety of bullet choice. The 220gr round nose is great for any big game and you got spitzers for anything at distance... Fatter shorter spitzers don't perform... cept up close.

Nice ctg if you're gonna shoot pistol bullets/boolits as a plinker. Some plinker! Mild loads nonetheless. The AI'd Whelen is more reliable for headspacing and has a bit more capacity to do more for heavy bullets.

.30-06 has access to .32cal pistol bullets... never loaded any... Then there's .30 m1 carbine bullets, and the 110gr spitzers. For reduced, plinking....

Whelen is optimum with heavies.... Nice looking rifle though. Have Fun!

Nice looking Whelen- congrats. I have one with a 22” BBL in a Bell & Carlson fiber stock. Mine shoots really well with just about any load my “bolt” gun will handle. With near max 250gr loads the action comes “unlock” (after firing), which can be a bit disconcerting, until you realize it speeds reloading if you follow up with completing the operation (also lessens the recoil effects of the heavier round-at least it seems to The trigger on mine was, initially rather heavy. A gunsmith friend said that many times taking one “coil” off the trigger spring would make it acceptable. I first bought an extra spring and took one coil off the old- voila, I lucked out, I had a trigger pull around 3 3/4#. I heard that Timney made triggers for “pumps” but I couldn’t locate one. I also used a barrel stud sling attachment like you have on your other 7600; and if I need to keep the forearm from rattling on a “stalk” I use a rubber band around the forearm that is easily broken. If Remington would sell barrel assemblys, all 7600’s could be “switch barrels” guns within the same “family” of calibers. Have fun with yours. Regards!
    Last edited by kaiser; 02-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Boolit Master

Ice gun. Always said I would buy a 7600 Whelen when I saw one.

I have a couple 35 760’s and a 7600 6mm. I like the rifles allot.

Im gonna have to open your box Im shippin ya, and add a lil suprize for ya!! ����
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I bought the first Whelen I found in a 7600. A few months later I found a 700 CDL (I think?) at Cabela's in PA. No plans for either to go anywhere.
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast