Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: 30-40 Krag success, and a question

Boolit Buddy

30-40 Krag success, and a question

Took my 1898 Krag infantry rifle to the range Saturday. I didn't shoot for groups, just a test of ammo.
    The ammo was the 200-grain Lee boolet, with aluminum gas check, lubed with Rooster Jacket. The load, using the Trail Boss "formula" was 12.2 grains of Trail Boss. This clocked 1340 fps. I think I have room to bump this up one whole grain, for 1500 fps or a bit more. The question? Will I get leading with RoosterJacket? Should I move to actually filling the grooves with a non-tumble lube?

Thanks in advance.

In Remembrance

Slugging your barrel will give you a better of what diameter boolet to try using. There has been quite a bit of success with #312299 and even as large as #314299.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using unsized a bullet that drops right at .311 from the mould. Not a problem there. More concerned with how hard I can push the RoosterJacket lube before I get leading.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my experience Rooster Jacket is not intended or useful for high velocity. It is intended for plain-based bullets at handgun, .22 rimfire and cowboy rifle load velocities.

I would expect HEAVY leading if you drive it any faster than you are now, GC or not.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I'm curious about. Based on using it in cowboy action shooting, I think it's probably OK through 1500 fps. I'm not trying to get it beyond that.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecramer View Post
    That's what I'm curious about. Based on using it in cowboy action shooting, I think it's probably OK through 1500 fps. I'm not trying to get it beyond that.
    Kroil and 000 steel wool wrapped around a worn bore brush will easily de-lead your barrel after you try, if you must.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Perhaps you should load for accuracy instead of trying to see how fast you can push it and not lead the barrel.
    M. Stenback

I have an original Krag 1898 Infantry rifle with no modifications. I load that same bullet sized .311 and lubed with 2500+ and an aluminum gas check. Loaded under 10 grains unique gives me one ragged hole at 50 yards. I can hit the 100 yard gongs all day long with that load.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    Got rid of all my Krags, but have had a half-dozen over the years. Seems like a .311" bullet worked well in all of them except for one I had rebarreled with a 2-groove '03-A3 barrel. That one shot best with a .309" bullet. I seldom use a Lee mould, but that 200 grain version is a good one for many .30 caliber cartridges as long as it casts large enough. In my remaining .30-40s, a Ruger #3 and a Winchester 1895 reproduction, I use only the #314299 (hollow-pointed) cast from ww alloy and sized to .311".

Banned
    i love the krag. 165gr ranch dogs and h4198, gotta love them.

Boolit Master
    Thus far in my Krag, I've tried 220 Sierras and IMR4831, they grouped under an inch at 50 yards (they furthest I've tried them). I also tried 165 Speers with IMR3031 and they grouped under 2" at 100 yards.

I took some Lee 200 grainers, sized to .308, patched back to .311, and loaded over IMR4831 (I think), but haven't tested the load yet.

I'm honestly not overly optimistic about the paper patched boolits, as the bore is a sewer pipe and, while I'm sure the throat ends and the rifling starts somewhere, I've yet to find it with anything that comes close to fitting in the magazine.

I have no leading problems in my Krag using the 314299 sized to .311 and lubed with Carnuba Red.
    Never used rooster so can't comment .
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Boolit Grand Master
    314299 sized at .312.
    .311 sizing works, .312 seems to be a little tighter. Usually run between 1650-1700 fps.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gavlan View Post
    I have no leading problems in my Krag using the 314299 sized to .311 and lubed with Carnuba Red.
    Never used rooster so can't comment .

Same bullet sized to 0.312” with 2500+

I did ok,with 311291 my first mold at .310 iirc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Thus far in my Krag, I've tried 220 Sierras and IMR4831, they grouped under an inch at 50 yards (they furthest I've tried them). I also tried 165 Speers with IMR3031 and they grouped under 2" at 100 yards.

I took some Lee 200 grainers, sized to .308, patched back to .311, and loaded over IMR4831 (I think), but haven't tested the load yet.

I'm honestly not overly optimistic about the paper patched boolits, as the bore is a sewer pipe and, while I'm sure the throat ends and the rifling starts somewhere, I've yet to find it with anything that comes close to fitting in the magazine.
    I am not a paper patcher but I thought they did well in rough bores. That was one of their benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post

I got my sewer pipe Lee Enfield to shoot with paper patch. The patched boolits are as fat as unsized case necks will take.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    Perhaps you should load for accuracy instead of trying to see how fast you can push it and not lead the barrel.
    Accuracy is essential but if velocity is insufficient, you don't have much; trajectory too high for the yound to be useful at various but undetermined ranges and too weak to be an effective killer on game. You can have velocity (2200 fps in Krag) and accuracy too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	227189
    215 grain Accurate bullet cast 20:1 42 grains R19, 1895 Winchester .30-40 with Lyman 21 aperture sight fired at 100 yards
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.