Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Cast in the 243 Winchester

Boolit Master

Cast in the 243 Winchester

Taking a break in load development for the 257 Roberts and experimenting with the 243 Winchester and the NOE mold. My alloy yields a 103 grain slug. I'm currently working with IMR 4895. 20.5 grains yielded a 1.217" group and 21.0 a 1.452" group but 9 rounds went into .647". More testing to follow. Range is 100 yards.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Couple of questions. NOE Mold number, BHN of cast and compisition, Powder coat or lube and what type.

Those groups look good.

Boolit Master
    NOE 246-106 FN GC. Gator gas check, sized .245, my own alloy of ww and lino, didn't check hardness, but slugs weigh in @ 103 grains. LBT Blue lube.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Ty Herb. Was wanting a good mold for 243 and love NOE molds. A mold around 100gr sound about perfect for it.

Banned

Been meaning to try cast in my 6mm for a long time. I have the mold and sizer, gas checks etc. Need to get moving on this.

Boolit Master

I wonder how fun a reduced load of say, 10 grs of Red dot would be?

Super Moderator

Nice work Herb. Those are very good groups, did you chrono any of the loads? Interested in what velocity you are getting.

The .243's I have seen all shot better with 60gr, 75gr., and 87gr. jacketed bullets than with the 100 to 107gr. jacketed. I am sure that it will be true with cast bullets as well. One fellow over at the CBA has done a lot of shooting with 6mm cast and his most accurate bullets are around 55 and 60gr. See Mountain Moulds for examples of them. Brodie

Boolit Master
    Really depends on the twist rate of the barrel as to whether it will shoot heavier rounds. My 1 in 8 handles 95 gr well. Haven’t tried heavier but I suspect a 1 in 7 would be required.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    I'm using a 6 groove Kimber Montana with a 1 in 10 twist

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Nice work Herb. Those are very good groups, did you chrono any of the loads? Interested in what velocity you are getting.
    7 shot string with MagnoSpeed ……….2023 FPS, SD of 30

Boolit Master
    Using the same bullet with +/- 12.5 grs Blue Dot was giving me about 2 MOA. Haven't had a chance to experiment further.

Boolit Master
    I have an old 244 Lyman Loverin style mold for an 87 gr boolit that my wife uses in her 243 Mossberg. The load is 11.2 gr of Unique and it is seriously accurate giving sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I wish my 6mm Rem shot as well with the same boolit and any powder.

Boolit Master
    Anyone unsure of the .243 with cast needs to check CBA match records, one year a factory .243 Ruger 77 won all the marbles at cast boolit benchrest.

Boolit Master
    I'm using the Ideal 245498 g.c. in my Winchester-Lee straight-pull sporting rifle over either 10grs. H4227 or 10grs. TrailBoss..the TrailBoss leaves case necks clean whereas the H4227 leaves them smoky. Due to the open irons..buckhorn rear & German silver blade front I started at 50yds. with 3/4" groups that shot to sights. At 100yds. I was getting 11/4". Not too bad I thought for open sights & 50+ year old eyes!

Boolit Master

Careful with Red Dot pressure can change very quickly with
    The 243,I use 8.5 grs of unique. No recoil is what I was after and it shoots accurate to 75 yards
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here