Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wild turkeys?

Boolit Master
    Breast through a meat slicer sliced thin, cover with turkey gravely and bake.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

I have shot and ate dozens of Wild Turkeys over the years. Started out with the whole bird but now just filet out the breast in 2 pieces. Have cooked that various ways, but the best is cut into bite size pieces soak it in milk or buttermilk 12-24 hours and then dredge in your favorite recipe and fry.

Banned

that's about what ive done with them for years. Makes a meal out of them but sure aint thanksgiving dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I have shot and ate dozens of Wild Turkeys over the years. Started out with the whole bird but now just filet out the breast in 2 pieces. Have cooked that various ways, but the best is cut into bite size pieces soak it in milk or buttermilk 12-24 hours and then dredge in your favorite recipe and fry.

Boolit Master
    I haven't eaten a wild turkey in years, but when I did, I plucked it and baked it. It was better than any store bought bird.

Then a few years ago Lori got some Wild Turkey 101 to mix with some eggnog. It wasn't nearly as much trouble as cleaning a wild bird.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

In Remembrance

Had 10 hens and this years chicks in my back yard this a.m. while I ate breakfast, about 150 yds from house. Have a group of Toms, 5 , that come through about 3 - 4 times a week. Some of those Toms have nice ground draggin` beards. I just enjoy seeing them, not shooting them.Robert

Moderator Emeritus

They are stupid and stand in the middle of the road here...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Must be interbred with domestic turkeys, then!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I pluck them, then separate the wings, back, thighs a legs from the breast. I inject the breast with my marinade/brine and let sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours. Then deep fry it. Crispy juicy and delicious! I simmer the remaining parts with spices, onion garlic etc until it starts falling off the bones. Then I remove all the meat and use to make barbacoa, sloppy Joes, burritos and tacos. The wing bones are made into calls. No waste

Boolit Buddy

We were able to get the breasts out of them. Probably going to have them smoked.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just made a batch of turkey jerky. I cut the breasts into 1-2" strips and marinated them fir a few days in a $5 jerky mix seasoning I bought at farm and fleet. I had the neighbor over to help me do some chores and paid my help in jerky. He I hailed it!!! I ended up with 3 pieces left out of three breasts! I guess it was good?��

Banned

yup I kind of chuckle at guys up here that will dawn there camos and grease there face and sit hidden with a call. I sit out crop damage shooting and they walk 10 feet from the blind. Heck ive had them walk right by the truck out there. I remember one day at camp when my brother in law got all decked out to go turkey hunting and went and sat and called for hours and got nothing. I stayed at camp and saw over 30 of them 20 yards away from the kitchen window. They are much easier to sneak up on then any grouse ive hunted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    The best wild turkey I've ever ate (I've ate quite a few) was where Mama cut the breast meat into strips, battered 'n fried like chicken strips.
    We breast them out, cut them into strips or bite size pieces and fry them. Some think soaking them in buttermilk for several hours takes out some of the wild taste. For batter, take your pick. Anything like flour works. You can add salt, pepper or Cajun seasoning as your taste desires.

They walk out of the woods and thru my yard. Wife tosses out bread, popcorn, etc. Right now there are clusters of young ones in the groups. Could easily tag one with my .20 Beeman. Wife would never forgive.

Boolit Master
    I breasted out my last two birds. Clean the breast and cool them so they are firm. Place them on a cutting board, place the palm of your hand on them and cut them with the grain into uniform thickness about a 1/2" thick. I then season them with cayenne, black pepper and garlic powder and return to the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Lightly dust them with flour and saute them/pan fry them.When they are about 95% cooked through remove them to a separate pan and tent them with foil.

Then saute about 1/2 a medium onion or several shallots, and at least 8 oz of mushrooms, button or portabella. Stir in about 2 tablespoons of flour and cook until raw flour is incorporated and then add a can of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and then put about half of that into a bowl and add some heavy cream, blend it and put it back into the onion/mushroom mix and bring to a simmer again. Serve that over the turkey fillets for a pretty nice meal. By cutting the breast into even fillets the meat cooks very evenly and there are no over cooked dry ends. Some pound them flat but that just makes a mess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12