Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Ammo Plant flooring?

Boolit Buddy

Ammo Plant flooring?

Got a lead on some lead flooring out of an old army ammo plant, anybody have an idea of what it might be? Needing quite a bit of near pure to mix with linotype and babbit.

Boolit Master

Building supplies is normaly pure or close to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, if I can get it for a decent price I'll have it tested. If it's too hard I'll do some trading.

Boolit Grand Master

I would expect for it to be soft. Of course, thats just a guess.

walls for xray rooms are almost pure, the thickness they need as a shield is based on pure lead so that is what they tend to use. Flooring in ammo plant I would think the point is to avoid static or throwing a spark from something like a steel tool striking it. I would think it might be a touch harder than pure just to handle wear and tear, or to prevent distortion by pressure of carts or pallets.

If the price is good it has one huge upside as scrap lead. Large batch of consistent material. Scrap is always a bit of a roll of the dice and as trade goods or own use being able to know that the entire batch is the same as a tested sample is a major plus. Lead pipe and sheet lead in a scrap bin are both soft but are they the same in alloy composition? One big batch of same lead is always a good score as long as the price is good enough to save you some money or allow for swapping without losing money.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat