RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersPBcastcoLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wonder how lee warranties the old cheap presses ?

I wonder how lee warranties the old cheap presses ?

And how the world am I gonna gonna get this shell out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I would think they'd give you the cheapest comparable press for 1/2 price. They'll stand behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    I would think they'd give you the cheapest comparable press for 1/2 price. They'll stand behind it.
    after a little googling, I believe thats accurate. It reads a little bit like they may give me a half price of the cheap one credit toward a better press.

The press has certainly more than paid for itself over the years, lee doesn't owe me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    after a little googling, I believe thats accurate. It reads a little bit like they may give me a half price of the cheap one credit toward a better press.

The press has certainly more than paid for itself over the years, lee doesn't owe me anything.
    Like your attitude!

They have treated me more than fair for my own stupidity. May not be top shelf but hard to beat the value and CS..

Boolit Buddy
    They will not yell at you to get a Blue One... The new Lyman Brass Smith line has a small C Frame press that looks like a competitor for the little Lee Press.

Boolit Master
    They warranty their old cheap presses the same way they warranty their new cheap presses.

Banned

its a lee. Drill a hole behind the broke off ear and use a longer bolt to bolt it back down or use a C clamp and keep using it. It wouldn't be worth the postage to send it back if it were mine. Guess if it were me id look at it like im obviously doing loading chores that a cheap cast aluminum press isn't good enough and its time to upgrade to something like an rcbs, lyman or Hornady press. Or at least lees new cast steel press.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 09-06-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    You still need to get the brass case out of the die.

When you get another mount it to something that won’t bend or flex. If that one were bolted to a 1/4” thick piece of steel instead of drywall screwed into the wood, it wouldn’t have broke, at least not right there.

Castings won’t take flex very well even less so when they are thin aluminum.

I am with Lloyd, drill another hole just behind the ear that broke off and carry on.

This is the method Lee suggests to remove stuck cases.

Boolit Master

JB weld it for now, you'll be surprised in 24 hours.

I have one of those presses that I broke the handle on resizing 30-06 military brass. I called Lee and told them what I did and asked to purchase a new handle. They said they were sending it to me free of charge. I even mentioned that it was probably at least 10 years old but they insisted on sending me a new handle free and thanked me for buying their products. I would say give them a call and see what they say. They didn't even want me to send back the old part. They are a very good company to deal with.

If not attached to a smooth surface or given flex movement aluminum press will break. There is a reason folks put grout or caulk under the toilet before they tighten it down. So it can't rock and break. Not saying that is what happened but even a little flex and with the screw head not spreading the load out as a bolt and washer would this would be the location to expect something like that.

My 13 year old Honda Accord (actually the wife's but came to me in it's twilight years) had a brake line pop, right in the middle of the steel line. Shop said it is where they all break because every time the driver gets in and out the floor and body flex a tiny amount, after over a decade that little tiny flex weakens the metal of the line to the point it breaks under pressure with no outward sign or warning.

Would say a decade from a $35 press works out to $3.50 a year cost to use the press. Hope you got some use out of it for that price
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Metal "fatigues" and breaks/cracks when it flexes. It is not will it break but when will it break when it is flexed enough. Ask a Navy or Air Force mechanic what happens to fighter planes when they have been stressed quite a bit in "dogfight maneuvers" over a period of time. my experience anyway, james

Banned
    Call Lee @ phone (262) 673-3075 . I believe they might want you to send it in then they will give you 50% off a new one.

A phone call will solve ALL your questions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Metal "fatigues" and breaks/cracks when it flexes. It is not will it break but when will it break when it is flexed enough. Ask a Navy or Air Force mechanic what happens to fighter planes when they have been stressed quite a bit in "dogfight maneuvers" over a period of time. my experience anyway, james

They use crappy pot metals like alumimum to make fighter jets. If they used cast iron they would not crack...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by colt38sp View Post
    I have one of those presses that I broke the handle on resizing 30-06 military brass. I called Lee and told them what I did and asked to purchase a new handle. They said they were sending it to me free of charge. I even mentioned that it was probably at least 10 years old but they insisted on sending me a new handle free and thanked me for buying their products. I would say give them a call and see what they say. They didn't even want me to send back the old part. They are a very good company to deal with.
    I wish I had better luck when I contacted them. I was using a brand new 6 cavity mold for the first time when the sprue cutter lever broke. I needed the lever plus the wood handle since it broke off even with the end of the handle. Technically the parts were free but they charged me over $6 for shipping. I NEVER paid shipping, handling or had to return broken parts to RCBS or Dillon. Also never had to provide a purchase receipt to those companies.
    Last edited by scotner; 09-06-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I wish I had better luck when I contacted them. I was using a brand new 6 cavity mold for the first time when the sprue cutter lever broke. I needed the lever plus the wood handle since it broke off even with the end of the handle. Technically the parts were free but they charged me over $6 for shipping. I NEVER paid shipping, handling or had to return broken parts to RCBS or Dillon. Also never had to provide a purchase receipt to those companies.
    Why did you buy that mold from Lee and not RCBS or Dillon? The cost. So with that out of the way, what Lee offers to so many, on non life time items, I consider that pretty dang good.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post

They use crappy pot metals like alumimum to make fighter jets. If they used cast iron they would not crack...

Till they hit the ground (right after "takeoff" )
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

For the price of Lee's products I can't complain about the performance. No a press from Lee probably won't surpass the life of a Dillon or RCBS or Hornady (although YES, they break too!), but the customer service at Lee says a lot. If I had a 800.00 Dillon press in my reloading room, "I" would be the only who ever saw it anyway (well maybe the wife 3 times a year LOL).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast