Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: short lane ML adaptor

short lane ML adaptor

hey guys! I just ordered a muzzleloader adaptor for my nef 12 ga single shot, with the intent of using it for m/l deer season. my question is that with a .690 ball, and patch ( not sure of the best size yet), do I need to have the barrel cut to remove the choked section, or will it be ok as is? I don't plan on using big charges, maybe 80 gr black powder or equivalent max. any help or experience with these would be greatly appreciated! thanks,- Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

The only way you could get accuracy is with a very tight fit, which would require no choke. I never did try slugs in my TK2000, but it shoots buckshot very well. If buckshot is legal where you are, I liked 100 grains FFG blackpowder, nitro card, fiber wad, 10 pellets of 000 buckshot. Then I tapped the butt of the gun to settle the shot, followed by a Lee scoop (forgot size) of PSB buffer, then more tapping to settle. Finish with an overshot, and this combo is absolutely deadly at 50 yards. Buckshot isn't legal for deer here, so my TK2000 only sees duty for turkey with #5 shot.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try donut wads to center the 0.690" RB rather than a patch. I haven't done if myself but there are posts about using donut wads and they seemingly can work well. That way no chopping the barrel.

I've tried inverted gas seal but any I've been able to get are too large to cradle the ball properly. Been planning to order some donut wads or make them myself and give it a try. A snug fitting ball in shotcup works very well but in my experience plastic shotcups and BP = plastic fouled bore!

I'd give the donut wad idea a try before modifying the gun.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I should ask what the choke is? If it's improved cylinder, it's a lot easier to work with. Have you tried some slugs in it before? I gave up on standard shotguns and slugs a long time ago. Less than half the time they don't print even close to the bead, and with the variables with hunting, practical accuracy is 30 yards, maybe 40 yards. If it happens to have a vent rib, the williams sights work fantastic, better than most factory slug gun sights in fact.

If you are willing to accept 30, MAYBE 40 yards of practical hunting accuracy, then you should be ok.

The problem you have shooting a patched RB is if it is tight enough to fit the bore correctly it probably will not fit through the choke at loading. If you have a screw in choke you could remove, load the MZ and then reinstall the choke.

One solution would be to find an H&R tracker I 12ga barrel. It is a smoothbore cylinder bore slug barrel with iron sights. These barrels aren't real common, plus you will probably have to fit it to your frame.

Good luck,

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    hey guys! I just ordered a muzzleloader adaptor for my nef 12 ga single shot, with the intent of using it for m/l deer season. my question is that with a .690 ball, and patch ( not sure of the best size yet), do I need to have the barrel cut to remove the choked section, or will it be ok as is? I don't plan on using big charges, maybe 80 gr black powder or equivalent max. any help or experience with these would be greatly appreciated! thanks,- Travis
    I have one of the adapters in 20ga. I believe you'll need a cylinder bore barrel to have much luck with patched round ball. My 20ga. does a pretty fair job of shooting buckshot. I believe that would be your best bet if it's legal in Ok. Gp

I have shot slugs out of it with success, but they were factory , I think Remington or Winchester. I cant find out what the inside diameter of a modified choke is, but if it is not too expensive, I wouldn't mind having the gun made to fit mossy 500 style chokes, since I already have one and a set of mod, full, and cyl chokes for it. anyone out there done this, and if so, what did it cost you? this is really just going to be a 25-40 yard gun, so I am not needing pinpoint accuracy, just didn't want to shell out 300$ for a M/L for our 9 day season, when I have the shotgun I don't use much anymore, so I wouldn't mind putting 75-100$ in it. hopefully it wont cost much more than 75 though. round here I see BIG bucks before rifle season, but then they check there calenders and hide for rifle season, the does, not so much!

Boolit Master
    Don't they say those adapters are for bird shot loads only? They also say in the description 75 to 80gr max charge. And is your game and fish going to be ok with using a modern gun that you can be converted back in seconds for muzzleloader season?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I would read this because it states carrying a modern firearm in muzzleloader season is illegal.

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma...e-regulations/

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like it's slug only in OK, that's too bad. The gun should be perfectly legal for muzzleloader season, it is in Minnesota. As long as it's loaded at the muzzle, it counts. What they mean is, you can't use that, plus carry for example, a handgun.

Normally you would want pure lead so it expands and fits the bore. I'm not sure that's the best bet in this case. There are some options to get rid of the choke. The least destructive is to have a gunsmith run a cylinder choke reamer to open it up. The free way is to just hacksaw a few inches off. You should be able to have it threaded for chokes, and there's no reason for it to be over $100, probably closer to $50 if you have a local gunsmith who can do it.

The adapter does say no slugs, but if you read the FAQ, they admit it has to do with the choke.

By the way, I've used plastic wads plenty of times with blackpowder in both muzzle loaders and shells. Maybe it would leave plastic eventually, but I never saw anything to be concerned with. Recovered wads look the same as they do with smokeless. That said, I get just as good, sometimes better results with fiber wads. If you end up getting rid of the choke, I would recommend either a .69 ball (.687"? if that loads too hard) in a shotcup, or a patched .715 ball. A bare .735" would probably work too. Lot's of options if you get a cylinder bore.

yeah, I found that out, the way they write the rules is kind of conflicting, I am going to a gun show today, hoping to find a cheap 45-50 cal percussion M/l, I think that as long as you don't carry any modern shells, it should be legal,, oh well, it will still be fun to have, and was cheap to boot! thanks guys, travis

Boolit Grand Master

690 will maybe just clear the choke but it won't with any patch. Use a base ad and then a top wad. If you leave the choke in you should be accurate enough for 40 yards or so. A well loaded M/L with a tight patch ball combo will do to over 70 yards. I use a 670 ball with a patch in my 12 Ga. M/L unchoked.

so I got a BEAUTIFUL 50 cal. CVA hawken, good smooth clean rifling, no nicks, scratches, 1-48 twist, for...... 150$ I think I did pretty good, I just ordered a R.E.A.L. mold for it from midway, the lee 320 gr., cant wait for my first experience with a M/L! oh, it is a percussion, not a flintlock, now I will have a black powder shotgun and rifle! I will let you guys know how it works out, will post in the muzzle loader section. thanks!- Travis