Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wal-Mart screw up

Moderator Emeritus

^^ That is probably what happened. A lot of places will place an asterisk on the sales tag for product or price will not be a normal type such as ending in .99 or round numbers when they are discontinuing an item. I look for them all the time for a better deal.

Banned
    There is another place near me that has them on sale for $59.99 so it is not inconceivable that they would be a closeout at $47. That is a heck of a price though. I bought the same Bucket of Golden Bullet hollow points 2 years ago for $79.99 and considered myself lucky. I have shot about half of them without any misfires so far. I chronoed some and the velocity is between 1050 fps and 1250 fps though. I haven't seen any other 22lr with that kind of spread in the velocity. Obviously they are not accurate!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    They still made money

Boolit Master

Two times I've gotten a killer deal on a gun, both from dealers. The first was an old SKS on the used rack at a LGS. It was marked "Russian SKS". The stock was ugly and wrong, and the receiver had some weird rust on it. They wanted $125 as I recall (even back then it was a good price). I knew it wasn't Russian and tried politely telling him that. He rudely told me it is if they say it is (paraphrased). I went home, researched it, then went back and bought it without further argument. I sold that NVA war trophy SKS a couple years later for $800. I didn't feel bad about it; I tried to tell him and he was rude about it.

The second time I saw a nice older Uberti 1875 Remington at a show for $175. Wow, that's too cheap! I asked the dealer if anything was wrong with it, and it the price was correct. He handed it to me and grumbled that no, nothing wrong with it, and yes, the price was correct. I said I'd like to buy it, but you're sure about the price? More grumbling, of course I'm sure.

As I filled out the 4473 and he called in the BGC, the look on his face changed and he realized he'd made a big mistake. I think he accidentally priced it accordingly for a reproduction cap and ball. He went through with the sale though. I'd given him every chance before buying it. Love that gun, it shoots great.

My last story is about a gun dealer in a shop I used to frequent long ago, back in the late 80's or early 90's. I went in one day and he was bragging about have totally ripped off a couple of young guys who had brought in a bunch of guns and reloading gear to sell. He was obviously pleased with himself and I thought that seemed out of character for him until I heard the rest of the story.

It seems these two young guys had recently inherited Grandpa's hunting gear: several nice rifles and boxes full of reloading gear. They immediately took it to the nearest gun shop for beer money. He said the whole time he was looking things over to come up with an offer, they were laughing and joking about Grandpa's old junk and all the fun they were going to have blowing the money that evening. They clearly knew nothing about guns and had no respect for their late grandfather.

He was getting angry as he listened so he gave them a ridiculously low-ball offer for the whole works. They took it and left, and he said he didn't feel guilty at all.

I don't mean any judgements either way with my stories. To each their own...

Boolit Master

I never ask what Jesus would do. I'm Jewish, so I ask what would my old Rabbi say ? He'd ask how will you balance the scale? I went to the local Salvation Army and spent $50 bucks for Women's & little kids clothes, then stopped at the Walgreens for some soda & snacks/cookies & small stuffed animals.
    Dropped them off at the local Women's Shelter that my family has supported for many years. Better to spend it on abused Women & kids then to put it in Wal-Mart's coffers.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Funny. . .

Reminds me of when I worked in a dedicated gun store across the street from a more generic "baseball gloves, sneakers, skis, and a little bit of gun stuff" chain store. One of our guys walked across the street to check them out and reported back that they were selling 250-round CASES of birdshot at the 25-round BOX price. Our manager broke out the petty cash fund and promptly cleaned them out for our own inventory. We didn't hoist a Jolly Roger over the shop that day, but we should have.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Just got back from my Neighborhood Wal-Mart.
    Went in for a 1400rd bucket of REM Golden BULLETS @ $74.00, somebody made big boo boo. Kid opened the locked ammo cage, I pulled out one.

It was marked $47.00 !!!!!, pulled the next 2, $47.00 each. The last was $74.00, I left it.

Kid called for a Mgr to ring it up, he was on a cellphone the whole time. I sweated it out, AND THEY SAILED THROUGH AT $47.00 EACH.

I feel no guilt at all. Wal-Mart has been screwing the AMERICAN PEOPLE for decade's. Nice to get a little back.

4200rds HVHP .22LR, I'll take it. Don't need HV or HP, but what the hey, I'll take anyway.
    Here’s to hoping less than 10% are thunder-less duds. I always had at least 3-5 go “click”....... ........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Sorry I can't agree, honesty would insist that you at least mention the mismarking.
    If you were a supplier to Walmart they would screw you down on price to within an inch of going broke - then it would at least be double on their shelf - $79 down to $49 they didnt lose money on that !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If you were a supplier to Walmart they would screw you down on price to within an inch of going broke - then it would at least be double on their shelf - $79 down to $49 they didnt lose money on that !
    absolutely, they do not sell anything at a loss.

I Bought an 1886 Winchester at a gun store that was close to the college I went to 3 years ago. I went in between classes, I knew I wanted something old and of quality. ( I like older rifles. ) I ask if they have anything, they obviously want to sell me a new gun but I declined and looked at the used section. I was 18 I think at the time. I see a big octagon barrel with rust on it so I ask to see it. Long story short, it was a rusty rifle, heavy barrel (octagon) button mag and chambered in 40-82.A rare configuration for that rifle. The man told me that it would be a "project gun". I look at the price: 275$. The guy said he couldnt bargain because his employee paid WAY to much for it. So I brought him down to 250$. After a few months I took it to a very large gunshop that has alot of knowledge about rifles and good quality gunsmiths. I wanted them to inspect it to see if everything was safe inside even if I had already shot it a bunch... just to make sure. When I took the rifle out of the case it was dirty, a little rusty still, not the greatest looking piece. The employee who talked to me was also a Winchester collector. I asked him if it was worth something, I knew it was worth more then the price I paid at the time. He looked it over for a few seconds and said"in this condition, id give you 3000$. Cleaned up. A little more." Do I feel bad? naah. Im glad. I got a good rifle for a great price.

When they see a young guy they try to rob me for some reason, gun stores, gun shows etc... but when I know more then them they shut up pretty quick. Its unfair when you're young. For me atleast. If I want to buy a specific model, I do heavy research before buying because people often try to pass me a quick one.

Boolit Master
    One of the nice things about being close to Titan Reloading, is they do carry powder and primers at a decent cost, but they only sell them in store only and not online. I stop there often and plan on going there next week for powder. I try to support our sponsors.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

I can't believe $74 was the right price. First, as people have said, if they scanned an item at the register, that's the price. Even if it came up insanely low or high you'd never convince them otherwise. Second, big retail ends up dumping some percentage of every item at a discount. They're not necessarily losing money because they plan to sell X% at retail, Y% at some discount, and Z% at a total loss, but they made money on the entire shipment.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Buddy
    My own WM story. Last night I went to buy lemons and vodka for a liquor I make: lemoncello. My wife picked up the lemons: 2 - 2# bags of organics. When we got to the check out lines, there were maybe three human operated registers open - all with long lines. I really don't care for the self check lines, but the ice cream that was part of my order was melting. So I'm trying to scan the code on the bags of lemons, neither bag scans. No problem: product search. No "organic lemons" on the search results. Bought them as "bulk lemons - 2 pieces". Buyers AND sellers need to beware. If their phasing out human cashiers and making it impossible for me to pay a higher price and enables me to get a deal, so be it. Perhaps it might happen that lack of human attendance at check outs could cost them more than they are saving and they would employ more human check outs.
    Would I feel bad about getting a low price on 22LR because of a mismark? Heck NO. Do you think they felt bad about their price gouging during the shortage?

Boolit Master

Historically $47 is overpriced for those IMO, however at this time its about right.

Boolit Grand Master

$47 was what they were selling for for quite some time and I bought a few buckets when they were in stock. This spring one of the WalMart's near me got some in and the price was at $74. Looks like you lucked out and got some old stock
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    Good deal, I have asked if something was priced right before buying it. Just bought 12 gauge pander pump with 18.5 inch cylinder bore for $98 out the door. They were clearanced out. I argued with gas station clerk once and after they got an attitude I walked out with 5 dollars in lotto tickets, would not listen to me.

Boolit Master

Well,
    Took those REM "Golden Bullets" out 2 Saturday's ago.
    They shot in 3 different RUGER 10/22's, 2 MARLIN 60's, 2 NYLON 66's, MARLIN 39D, REMINGTON 552 & 572, WINCHESTER 62A, couple of those cheap ROSSI pumps and at least 3 bolt guns I don't know the make of.
    Emptied those 3 - 1400rd buckets in about an hour. Plus about 4000+rds of assorted stuff.

And there were about a Dozen different Handguns too.

Only gun that had a booble was my Old RUGER MK II TARGET. I hadn't cleaned it in some time, the wax coated target ammo tends to foul the pistol after about 600 - 700 rounds. A bit of GunScrubber and a brass toothbrush, back in action in less then 2 minutes. Of course the GOLDEN BULLETS are NOT waxcoated, but plated.

So much for you nay-sayers.

The REMINGTON. 22LR ammo worked great, we even managed to hit a whole bunch of cans, swingers and lots of ORANGE targ-dots.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

With you JBinMN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123