MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: .32 long Galesi revolver project

Boolit Master

.32 long Galesi revolver project

Cleaning out some items from my parents old place I found this little gem... apparently is my mom's though she doesn't remember it...

Already snagged a die set and have some brass coming in for it from starline. Found a post here with an article on the .32 long and I'm excited to get a quirky little project going.

Just so happens I have a Lee .314 90 grain swc I use for mouse fart loads in my .30 cal rifles (these are super fun by the way) and I'll put it to use for this little guy too.

Galesi isn't a name I'm familiar with. Surface rust from being left in an unconditioned space too long so first job is to clean it up really well...slug the thing and try out a few loads with that 90 grainer.

Anyone else seen one of these little Italian pistols before? Any experience with the 32 long worth mentioning before I dive in?

I'm just excited about a new project...I like making old stuff like this come back to life

Also found .32 s&w shorts in the Chambers...guessing it would work too but not my first option as case capacity already seems very small

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I like these projects. I like .32's also.

The way it looks you should be able to use both.For what ever reason to use.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your .32 long Galesi revolver is loosely based on the S&W 1903 Hand Ejector, with materials and workmanship better than the common pre-WW2 Spanish copies. It probably dates from the 1950s and should bear postwar Italian proof marks which would identify the year, These were widely imported by Stoeger and others prior to the GCA 1968 as inexpensive home defense guns.

They are decent as cheap shooters using factory-equivalent loads in .32 Long brass with 90-100 grain bullet and 2.0-2.3 grains oif Bullseye, which approximates factory loads. You .314 diameter Hornady swaged bullets should work just fine. In bocca al lupo!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Wow! Its a left handed copy of a S&W. Is your mother left handed?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Wow! Its a left handed copy of a S&W. Is your mother left handed?
    Ha not that I know, she is a rightie like the rest of us but it is interesting to see a left hand revolver

Interesting detail I just found out...so asked Dad about the pistol, he said it used to be my grandfather's...they would use it to kill armadillo in the woods around here (north Louisiana) apparently purchased off a retired police officer (highly doubt it was service pistol...but likely just a personally owned gun from a former police officer)...when granddad passed away he gave it to mom as it has a small frame and handle and easier for her to use

Last edited by John McCorkle; 09-05-2018 at 03:51 PM.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Not sure about the revolvers but they seem to make some nice little pocket autos. The 32 long is a great little cartridge . Very Accurate. I use 2.3 grains bullseye with 100 grain lee rn. For once fired brass you might give https://brassmanbrass.com a call . Not listed on his website but give him a call if i remember right it was $40 for 500 rounds and that included shipping.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the things I like about this site is the diversity of information that pops up. I had never heard of a Galesi revolver, though I owned a 25 made by them, which I shot a bit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Cleaning out some items from my parents old place I found this little gem... apparently is my mom's though she doesn't remember it...

Already snagged a die set and have some brass coming in for it from starline. Found a post here with an article on the .32 long and I'm excited to get a quirky little project going.

Just so happens I have a Lee .314 90 grain swc I use for mouse fart loads in my .30 cal rifles (these are super fun by the way) and I'll put it to use for this little guy too.

Galesi isn't a name I'm familiar with. Surface rust from being left in an unconditioned space too long so first job is to clean it up really well...slug the thing and try out a few loads with that 90 grainer.

Anyone else seen one of these little Italian pistols before? Any experience with the 32 long worth mentioning before I dive in?

I'm just excited about a new project...I like making old stuff like this come back to life

Also found .32 s&w shorts in the Chambers...guessing it would work too but not my first option as case capacity already seems very small

I've finally found someone else who owns one of these. I've got a question regarding this revolver: does your cylinder lock up when closed and not cocked (ie hammer down position)? My cylinder turns rather freely when closed and only locks up when I pull the hammer back to cocked position. I've been unable to find any info other than this post about the Galesi 32 long revolvers. Further to that, it will only fire in single action. I suspect perhaps the timing is out or something.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like it has the potential to be a fun gun. I would not be comfortable without knowing for sure about the lock up… that seems to be a characteristic of a worn gun, often in lower quality guns with steel of questionable quality, not what I would expect of a Galesi. Once that question is resolved however, I’d feel comfortable with 32 S&W and S&W Long cartridges of factory strength. Keep us informed of your finding as there’s no telling when another of us may stumble upon one!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds to me like the cylinder stop is stuck/worn/missing on your revolver Feelingfail.

It shouldn't be too hard for someone familiar with S&W revolvers to figure out, once the gun is in his hands. The big problem is finding someone to work on it that won't charge more than the gun is worth these days.

Good luck,

Robert