Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone have a set of 310 dies for .32 S&W ?

Boolit Master

Anyone have a set of 310 dies for .32 S&W ?

Has anyone seen a set made for .32 ACP or .32 S&W? I'm trying to make up a set. the charts say I need an #3 adapter and a #9 priming chamber and a MR 122 (22 might work as it is shown for .32 ACP) A short expander and a seater stem # 226 and Bob's your Uncle! I wonder if I could cut down a .30 rifle die to do the neck sizing? Just thinking here, haven't measured anything but I'm thinking I'd run out of threads before the case would get neck sized in a .300 Savage or such.

I'll bet several here have already broken the ground on this! Let me hear from you.

Boolit Master

I had a set, but I sent it to someone that really needed it.
    Now I really need one, but I can't locate one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I had a set, but I sent it to someone that really needed it.
    Now I really need one, but I can't locate one.
    LOL! Must have been Green Frog! I know he is fond of the .32 S&W as well as 310 stuff!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    LOL! Must have been Green Frog! I know he is fond of the .32 S&W as well as 310 stuff!
    Probably another one of the usual suspects!

Boolit Grand Master
    Froggie here! I have one boxed set I've installed on a TruLine Jr and another that came with a pre-War No 3 tool in the box. I'm trying to put together the odds and ends I've got to make another set or two to help out on the demand I've apparently helped stir up. It appears that seaters are available as well as case belling dies and of course the universal decappers, but muzzle resizers and priming chambers are thin on the ground wherever I've looked so far.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

When I get some time this winter I'm going to fire up the lathe and build, (try to build) a few priming chambers and dies for the few rounds I don't have them for. They really are not that complicated of a die, but I'm a horrible machinist. if I can build a few I'll post the extras up in the swap thread.

Boolit Grand Master

I have mine on my Trueline Jr and you can't have it!!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've got a very few odd dies sitting in a box - I'll check and see what they are. For 32s, I'm guessing you'd be looking for the short die chambers? I'll check later and see what I have.

Jim

I looked and have one die body that possibly would be close. Stamped 172 - don't have my reference with me and can't remember what that die set is. Overall length is 1.55 - casing hole is .350 - measured with my dial calipers. The 32 S & W casing is .327 O.D. so there would be a clearance on all sides of the casing in the die of .0065. It might be able to be bored/reamed out and sleeved if you have the equipment. Jim

Boolit Master
    In the chart I have, 172 is a Muzzle Resizer for 218 Bee. It states 32 SW/L needs a No 3 adapter, No 9 priming chamber, No 122 muzzle resizer, a P-S expansion chamber, and a 226 seating die. Again, this is the list I downloaded for when I'm out and about. It could be wrong.

sigep1764 - I could' fine my reference chart for the numbers of the 310 sets - I'm in Michigan and my print out is in AZ and I seemed to have lost the link to it. At any rate - the die body I have is indeed a 218 Bee. I'm sending it to the OP though as I think that it could be "converted" to a seating or expander die for 32 S & W - he has some access at times to some equipment. Looking at it, if I had access to a lathe, I would bore/ream the die body and install a correctly sized busing in it to do what it needed to do. Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but I don't think that I have ever run across a set of 32 S & W 310 dies. I have collected what I need for the calibers I reload as I like to use them in the tongs or my Tru-Line.

I'm sure if the OP keeps looking, he'll run across a set at some point - or put together a set that will work. I play 38 Colt Short and Long and was about ready to take a set of 38 Special 310 dies one time and "convert" them to the shorter Colt Short/Long lengths. (I wouldn't feel so bad about converting a set of 38 special dies as they are so many of them out there. About the time I was ready to do it, I bought a large lot of 310 dies and I'll be darned, in them was a set of dies for the 38 Colt Short/Long. Unmarked bodies and they may well be an original set or a set that someone converted and shortened. You never know what is out there!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I here ya on finding the calibers you want. I want a set for 9mm and they are hard to find without buying them at cnyauctions. I think I saw a 32sw seating die on ebay last week. It might be worth it to search and see if its still there if someone wanted to piece a set together. That 218 bee die might work for seating if a person could ream the bottlenecked portion of the die, but I would think the crimp feature would be lost.

My 32 sets from the 60's are marked "32 pistol" and are apparently for 32acp and the 32S&W,and long -- I had two sets, both marked the same --

Boolit Grand Master
    The magic numbers from back in the day of die codes are 22 & 122. On the neck sizing (MR or “muzzle resizer”) they seem to be equivalent. Ditto for seating dies. I’ve seen both 311 and 313 expander dies with 32 sets... I don’t know why unless they are for jacketed vs cast bullets(???) I found a boxed three die TL Jr set which is permanently installed on one of those presses, and somewhere I have all of the dies for a complete 310 set which also came to me boxed... I’m not sure where a couple of the dies went though. Finally there was a made-up die set in a pre-War nickel #3, with only the MR actually being nickel plated (a #122, IIRC) and the rest a mashup of blued pieces. I started gathering all of this stuff over 30 years ago when interest in 310 Tools was at a very low point so some of it just kinda laid around in the loading room unloved and unnoticed for years. Now I wish I had kept all of that stuff more organized.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-10-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Correct typos
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Lyman must have sold a lot of these hand tools! It is amazing how much is available today! Their popularity is growing though; used to be you couldn't go to a gun show without seeing several boxes of rusty Ideal & Lyman hand tool parts for not much money. The price is rising and the availability is decreasing. I've been "accumulating" these for years but I passed on far too much!
    Last edited by trooperdan; 09-10-2018 at 12:33 PM.