RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Processing Lead Wheel Weights question

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I can't stand and stoop back and forth to pour ingots.
    Set up a picnic bench about 2ft away from my melting pot. I put a big 'ol piece of plywood under everything.
    I clamp a 2'X4' 3/4" piece of plywood to the end of the picnic bench and place old clay bricks spaced in pairs with the ingot molds on top. Makes the ingot molds about the same height as the top of the lead pot. I sit close enough in an old kitchen chair to pour ingot with out straining.
    And YEP, I wear all safety equipment, my knee high COWBOY boots with my cotton overalls tucked all the way down into them, I even made "flaps" of 10 OUNCE leather that buckle behind my ankles and cover my feet completely. Long sleeve cotton shirt, welding gloves and full face mask with ball cat on top.
    I think I'd have the legs of the coveralls on the outside of the cowboy boots. Open boot top is an open invitation to a big burn with your foot stuck inside.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep...lotta of good ideas offered here...GOOD ONES....

I'd like to throw in ...leather gloves...BOOTS as mentioned above...I use and APRON too...Leather is my first choice...and last but not least...SAFETY GLASSES...at all times...

When I smelt...I SMELT TRASH..CORRUPTION and garbage... So...I 'water wash' all the stuff on the driveway the night before and let it drain down...
    this helps dirt and stuff go down the street and not in my SMELT POT. And as noted above... the SMELT POT should not be your CASTING POT.
    And a $55 smelt pot must be a GOOD ONE... I have time and frequent 'yard sales'... yep... most are a waste of time but I do find CAST POTS and buckets and these are good to smelt with. And... the stuff I buy is much lower price... but ...that is me on a fixed income....

I too...'pre inspect' wheel weights. Pick out the aluminum stuff and other 'unidentifiable' materials. And now, since my closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away,,,I don't have to worry about adding my 'cleansing' ingredients to the smelt pot. Yep...I start with a few handfuls of pine saw dust and some sulfur when I can find it cheap. Now,,,if you 'live in the city'....this smelt concoction will get you "LOVE LETTERS" from you HOA and 'man you are a sweet person' phone calls from your neighbors! IT STINKS...STINKS...it SMOKES...SMOKES and really will make you next door neighbor angry...especially if he is barbecuing in his back yard! And... this is way i always have on leather boots, glasses, welding sleeves, leather gloves and safety glasses and a face shield. MY SMELT ALWAYS POPS AND FIZZLES due to my water wash pre treatment. SO>>> BE WARE.

Some where in these pages I have detailed my 'step by step' procedure on smelting. Sawdust,,,sulfur...wax.... mixing...and ingot making...

Be careful my friend and HAVE FUN! Casting is a kick. 45 years on...still doin' it!!

Boolit Bub
    Never tuck pants into boots when dealing with molten metals or hot liquids. This is a common mistake in breweries and has resulted in some serious burns from a boot full of hot wort or boiling water.

Boolit Master

Been sorting weights most of the day, and by the way thanks for all the tips everybody are sharing here-learn something new everyday! Seems I got backed up a bit by putting things off so I had like 4 buckets slap full. I know it differs from location to location but was wondering about what some your ratios were in the way of SOWW, COWW, ZINC, STEEL...? Seems my COWW is running about 20-25 lbs. of every 100 lbs., SOWW about the same, but the steel of course is the majority.

Pick up any decent cast iron pot or pan from the flea market for a few bucks. Then any source of heat you desire. I prefer propane personally but can also do it with a fire pit if needed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Been sorting weights most of the day, and by the way thanks for all the tips everybody are sharing here-learn something new everyday! Seems I got backed up a bit by putting things off so I had like 4 buckets slap full. I know it differs from location to location but was wondering about what some your ratios were in the way of SOWW, COWW, ZINC, STEEL...? Seems my COWW is running about 20-25 lbs. of every 100 lbs., SOWW about the same, but the steel of course is the majority.
    Around here I am running probably 70% lead weights. Maybe 10% of those are stick ons. The other 30% is more steel than zinc, which I consider as good. You won't accidentally melt a missed steel weight. I recently was given about a gallon of weights that came from a Texas car dealership and they probably ran about 30% lead.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have never sorted a wheel weight in my life. i do try to keep the temp down but have never worried to much about it. i have done the acid test and nothing. i know i am not in a utopia where they are all lead. i have never had any problems always get great bullets and they shoot good. contrary to popular belief it ain't rocket science! if you like sorting coww then by all means go for it. i usually don't cast pure coww anyway just use them to get bnh up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Around here I am running probably 70% lead weights. Maybe 10% of those are stick ons. The other 30% is more steel than zinc, which I consider as good. You won't accidentally melt a missed steel weight. I recently was given about a gallon of weights that came from a Texas car dealership and they probably ran about 30% lead.
    70% is great with the lead weights! I just rake everything with a big magnet to hone in on the lead. I reckon it's a demographic thing. I miss the days when they all were lead.

Boolit Master

Jsizemore,
    I don't think you've ever worn big fat boy overalls. The legs are so big, stuffing in tall boots leaves so much material wadded up inside the boot, I could pour a can of soda over my knee and my socks would stay dry.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i must agree that you need to be careful . i started out with shorts that lasted one session. left glove off my pouring hand and i now have a nice scar that covers the back of that hand. my wife tells me that i know i have never been graceful. every time i say i am just doing a little it will be ok she reminded me of when she told me to be careful using table saw i told her i had been doing this type of stuff all my life. half hour later was in emergency room being sewed up. i don't say things like that much anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, accidents are unplanned events! And they happen quick. Be Prepared!

Boolit Grand Master

I just scored another partial bucket of weights, somewhere around 2/3 or 3/4 of a bucket. The tire store that I use rotates and balances any tires that they sell for free for the life of the tire. I just had my Wifes Expedition in for service prior to an upcoming trip. I can get the weights for free for the asking. I just finished sorting them and I'm still in the 65-70% range. There were maybe 60-65% lead clip ons, 5 to 10% lead stick ons and the rest were steel or zinc. Most were steel, which I consider to be good and a lot of the stick on rejects were composite. We are in the beginning of harvest season here and there were lots of truck weights in this bucket. There were also an unusually larger number of larger passenger car weights. Those weighing 2, 3,4 or more ounces. Love those larger weights!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I just scored another partial bucket of weights, somewhere around 2/3 or 3/4 of a bucket. The tire store that I use rotates and balances any tires that they sell for free for the life of the tire. I just had my Wifes Expedition in for service prior to an upcoming trip. I can get the weights for free for the asking. I just finished sorting them and I'm still in the 65-70% range. There were maybe 60-65% lead clip ons, 5 to 10% lead stick ons and the rest were steel or zinc. Most were steel, which I consider to be good and a lot of the stick on rejects were composite. We are in the beginning of harvest season here and there were lots of truck weights in this bucket. There were also an unusually larger number of larger passenger car weights. Those weighing 2, 3,4 or more ounces. Love those larger weights!
    Nice score!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12