MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Going Rock Lock!

Boolit Master

Going Rock Lock!

I'm getting ready to shoot my first flintlock.
    It is a Lyman Trade Rifle.

I have sighted in a cap lock T/C Hawken for hunting season in a few days. Muzzle loader cow elk. I am really having trouble seeing the sights. Time for a backup plan!

I have a Lyman 57SML sight I want to try. It's a peep sight and I think it will be better for my eyes!

It sure looks like too much work for me to mount it on a T/C Hawken. Yes, I do have more than one.

It is supposed to fit a Lyman Trade Rifle without drilling and tapping. Removing some wood from the stock is required. I am filing away!

I have some store bought Maxi Bullets. I do need to mould some!

Wish me luck, or skill, or whatever!

Rock Lock here I come!

Boolit Master
    Good luck! Bring home the beacon errr I mean elk
    Talk to ya soon
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Welcome to the world of flinch locks....sorry flint rocks.

Enjoy it!

Super Moderator

I have the 57SML on a 54cal Lyman caplock. It's very functional, my front sight is a red fiber optic. Very easy to pick up in low light conditions. There are many apertures available, you just need to make sure yours is not too small to hunt with. The small apertures are fantastic for target work though. What caliber are you shooting? Best of luck...I mean skill!

Boolit Master
    I got a dollar that you have a mold or 12 Ron.��
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    I got a dollar that you have a mold or 12 Ron.��

I'm not taking that bet!

50 Cal is the smallest caliber Colorado allows for elk.
    This year, the hunting regulations changed to no round ball in 50 caliber allowed for elk.

I have moulds for round ball, maxi-ball, and pro-hunter in 50 caliber. I haven't cast any yet!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I have the 57SML on a 54cal Lyman caplock. It's very functional, my front sight is a red fiber optic. Very easy to pick up in low light conditions. There are many apertures available, you just need to make sure yours is not too small to hunt with. The small apertures are fantastic for target work though. What caliber are you shooting? Best of luck...I mean skill!
    No sling swivel mounts available locally. I ordered some from Midway. Maybe next year!

57SML sight is mounted and I can see the front blade when sighting across the room. Rifle range tomorrow if the wind isn't gusting too bad.

I have Triple 7, Pyrodex P, and Shockly FFg to play with. Also a small amount of real FFFg, but not much, and I really want to save it for a really old 50-70!

No fiber optic sights available locally. I have painted a base of white on the front sight and I will add yellow after it is dry.

Buena Caza, Mi Amigo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    As read. {You certainly got a handle on things.}
    Don't care to wish you luck as everyone makes their luck. (I prefer to say: get a decent shot will yaw.)
    As far as carrying spare projectiles?
    I seldom tote more than three ball. As over the years I've learned to make my first shot my best shot to which I haven't had a need for a follow-up ball to date. [knock on wood]

A suggestion: Listen to you're common sense. When the time comes: If you're shot is thought to be a bit marginal. Give the animal a go-free-pass. Left un-molested likely you'll see the cow again. A shot and miss or a non-lethal wounding >she's gone bye bye!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    As read. {You certainly got a handle on things.}
    Don't care to wish you luck as everyone makes their luck. (I prefer to say: get a decent shot will yaw.)
    As far as carrying spare projectiles?
    I seldom tote more than three ball. As over the years I've learned to make my first shot my best shot to which I haven't had a need for a follow-up ball to date. [knock on wood]

A suggestion: Listen to you're common sense. When the time comes: If you're shot is thought to be a bit marginal. Give the animal a go-free-pass. Left un-molested likely you'll see the cow again. A shot and miss or a non-lethal wounding >she's gone bye bye!
    I do believe in the go-free pass!

Boolit Master

Flinch lock!

Abysmal failure!
    Four shots fired. I am clearly not ready to take this ignition system hunting.
    It is now time to remove the sight and put it on a caplock.
    The 57SML works great!
    Now we all need to hope I don't Bubba the Hawken drilling and tapping one hole!

Super Moderator

Well, at least you tried. Glad you have a caplock for back-up. Does Colorado allow the use of Powerbelts? They are full diameter. The 54 versions are plenty powerful and accurate in my Lyman 54.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Well, at least you tried. Glad you have a caplock for back-up. Does Colorado allow the use of Powerbelts? They are full diameter. The 54 versions are plenty powerful and accurate in my Lyman 54.
    My first T/C 50 Hawken is sighted in with powerbelts.

Super Moderator

Keep us posted...Good Luck!

Boolit Grand Master

Is something wrong with the lock? Geomery not right to get adequate spark? Or soft frizzen, and inadequate spark?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post

Is something wrong with the lock ?

Geomery not right to get adequate spark ?

Or soft frizzen, and inadequate spark ?

+1

Don't just cave - most reasons have a fix.

My A&H (Austin & Halleck) Mountain Rifle .50 flinchlock has much faster ignition than any caplocks I have shot - to the point as being almost comparable to a metallic cartridge rifle.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

trad flintlocks are not for everyone, and a reason to start off with a percussion gun.

there are two very typical issues with the vast majority of offshore flintlocks. the first is that almost all sport patent breeches that require understanding and usually fouling control between shots. the other is that most if not all have locks that don't have the best geometry. understanding the quirks of these two concerns, and how to care for them both, can make a huge difference in flint lock performance.

no matter where the flintlock was born, offshore or onshore, you need to understand that type of ignition system, how to maintain, setup, and care for it. in particular, understand the sparking device - the flint and frizzen - and what it takes to make them work best, in conjunction with the touch hole and pan.

where flintlocks are concerned, all bets are off unless real black powder is used, else ignition will be unreliable at best.

the last .50 i had was a GPR kit because i couldn't find a .54 kit ... no problem, i had bobby ream it to a .54 ... ah, so much better.