Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: RCBS LAM2 or Lyman 4500?

Boolit Buddy

RCBS LAM2 or Lyman 4500?

Longtime shooter, medium-time reloader and total newb just getting into casting....
    Aside from any cost differences, which is the better lubrisizer, the RCBS or the Lyman, and why? I currently own a gently used LAM2 that I received in a trade but may soon end up with a brand new 4500 from another deal as well, and would plan to sell off the lesser model. I'm very much a "green" fan but would use an orange sizer if it's really all that much better of a choice.

Boolit Master
    Try them both to see which you like the best.I only have the Lyman lubrisizers and they work well for me.I have a 45,3 450's, and a 4500.All set up with different lubes.The 4500 should have a hole for installing a heater.I doubt if there's any differences in their usefulness.

Boolit Master
    I have one of each but keep my 450 on the bench full time because I like the ratchet wrench for operating the pressure screw much better than the sliding rod on the LAM2. Now the nut that holds the resizing die on the Lyman 450 and 4500 has a VERY fine thread on it. Be sure it is engaged correctly before you tighten it down. They are easy to cross thread and that is not a good thing.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

I have a Lyman 45, two LAM2 and a LAM, prefer the RCBS over Lyman especially with rifle bullets

Boolit Grand Master

When I went into the gun shop in 1972 all they had was a Lyman 450 so I bought it.
    I cast mostly handgun but also for 4 different rifles.
    I've been using it all these years , nothing has been replaced, broken or worn out , so I can't complain.
    They go in , get checked(if needed) , lubed and come out the correct size and it's been doing it for 46 years.
    That's my personal experience with the Lyman !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone know if the cylindrical heater that comes with the Lyman 4500 is better/worse than the bottom-mounted heater used on the RCBS and/or Lyman 450?

Boolit Master
    I have the heater for the 4500.It works fine.I haven't used the other two.I have the heating cartridges and aluminum stock to make three heater elements of the Lyman bottom mounted style.I need to get that done before winter.It's cheaper to make your own bottom mounted heaters.McMaster Carr has the elements.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I have the heater for the 4500.It works fine.I haven't used the other two.I have the heating cartridges and aluminum stock to make three heater elements of the Lyman bottom mounted style.I need to get that done before winter.It's cheaper to make your own bottom mounted heaters.McMaster Carr has the elements.
    I have the aluminum stock, too, and have considered making one for the RCBS. Do you know which heating element would be the most suited to this purpose?

Boolit Master

I use 2 450's and 1 Star. Honestly, unless I am doing a ton of bullets in 38 or 40 I use the Lymans. I do not have many Star dies and therefore do not use it as often. The Lyman dies are reasonable used and I have built up a complete set of .30's - the .312 (still looking), I have the complete set of .35's and some 40's and 45's as well. The trick is, if you run across a good deal on punches... buy them! I do my Lyman and Ideal HP bullets on the 450's as I have punches with the HP pin in the middle so as not to distort the bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I am thinking of doing this as well. I think a 110v 50 watt should be about right. I plan to connect it to a PID and place the sensor near the bolt on the sizer.

Boolit Master

Why not keep both and set them each up with a different caliber. I recently came up with a nice Lyman 45 and I am setting it up with a lube requiring no heat and plan to use it for pistol calibers. My 4500 has A heater and use it for stiffer lube and will likely go with rifle calibers in it.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Why not keep both and set them each up with a different caliber. I recently came up with a nice Lyman 45 and I am setting it up with a lube requiring no heat and plan to use it for pistol calibers. My 4500 has A heater and use it for stiffer lube and will likely go with rifle calibers in it.
    I agree with Fishman. Keep them both set up for different lubes and report back in a year on which one you like the best. Or maybe you will find out that both of them do acceptable duty in the resizing/lubing room.

Boolit Master

Like the guys say... keep them both. Having 2 or more is very useful. I run 2500+ in one and 2700+ in the other and the Star is filled with 2500+ for large numbers of 38's and 40's.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I've considered that and have not yet totally ruled it out. Not long ago while attempting to accumulate equipment to begin casting I swapped some stuff for a used LAM2, but then just recently found another package deal at a good price. Included is a (new) Lee 4-20 pot, (new) Lyman 4500 w/heater, (new) Lyman lead thermometer, two used 2-cavity Lyman moulds for 38/357, approximately 20 bars of 50-50 and 30-70, twenty lbs (or perhaps more) of un-melted linotype and perhaps a couple hundred lbs of wheel weights and other lead, some already cast into ingots. I originally figured on recouping some of my cash outlay by selling one of the lubrisizers but will definitely have to think it over, now. Casting rifle bullets is not part of my plan so one might be all that I need, to be honest.

Boolit Master

I have 2 Lachmiller's, predecessor of the LAM's, and they have the little ratchet wrench. I like them better than the Lyman I had, that I sold on eBay. Also a Star, but that's off the subject. It just seemed to me that the Lachmillers (one w/heater, one w/o) were more robust...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Leadhead72,
    I agree with fishhead, 2 lubesizers are great, two different types of lube is REAL HANDY. I also love the heaters. I bought the LYMAN "plate" style when they first came out, it's been bolted under my old LYMAN 450 ever since. A lot better then running a propane torch up & down the lube reservoir. I used to have an RCBS old lube-sizer. It worked just as well as the LYMAN. I only have the 450/heater setup now. That heater is great to get even 50/50 flowing easy right from the start.

If I ever buy another Lube-Sizer again it will be a LYMAN with that plug in heater.

Changing the sizer die takes a bit of patience and pressure in the right place. I've noticed a lot of cross-threaded locking nuts on you-tube. I've spent 42+ years changing dies, sometimes it's taken me 10min+ to change in another die.
    Patience is everything when working with anything with threads.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tips, Walks.