Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: WTS Vintage Dan Wesson 15H .357 Magnum Revolver

Boolit Bub

WTS Vintage Dan Wesson 15H .357 Magnum Revolver

For Sale is a Vintage Dan Wesson 15H .357 Magnum Revolver; 5-digit serial #68xxx was manufactured in either 1976 or '77 and is in very good + condition. Comes with all the original tools along with a Pachmayr Gripper and a Doskocil hard case. Asking $525 shipped to your FFL. We can accept only a postal money order or cash, and we try to ship within 24 hours of receiving payment. First "I'll take it" here followed by a PM gets the revolver. (I have one more picture of the whole package that will not download here, but I can email it to anyone seriously considering buying it.)

Attachment 226613 Attachment 226614 Attachment 226615 Attachment 226616 Attachment 226617Attachment 226618
    Last edited by One Gun Andy; 09-05-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Be strong, and show yourself a man.

Boolit Master
    What make is that wooden grip?
    it doesn't appear to be factory.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to know how you narrowed the year of manufacture down. I have a DW 15 and from my research - no records were kept as to which serial numbers were made in what year. Are you the original owner so that you know when you bought it and therefore have a close approximation of year of manufacture??
    Good looking wheel gun - wish I could afford to add it as a mate to the one I have. BTW I used to have a model 14 that I bought new back in 72-73 and had to sell in 77.
    Ron

Boolit Bub
    That is indeed an original factory grip. It has a great feel, and like many other aspects of the Dan Wesson revolvers, was ahead of it's time for a factory offering.

Boolit Bub
    You are correct rdwarrior, that there are no formal records of manufacturing dates for original Dan Wesson revolvers. However, at the Dan Wesson Forum (https://www.danwessonforum.com/faqs/...-manufactured/) they have compiled a list of serial numbers and dates of manufacture as posted by original owners. In the case of this revolver, I know the pedigree from first-hand accounts, but a specific date is difficult to pin down.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by One Gun Andy View Post
    You are correct rdwarrior, that there are no formal records of manufacturing dates for original Dan Wesson revolvers. However, at the Dan Wesson Forum (https://www.danwessonforum.com/faqs/...-manufactured/) they have compiled a list of serial numbers and dates of manufacture as posted by original owners. In the case of this revolver, I know the pedigree from first-hand accounts, but a specific date is difficult to pin down.
    Thank you for that link. very good info. I wasnt able to find anything related to differences (if any) between mdl 15 and 15-2.

Quote Originally Posted by rdwarrior View Post
    I wasnt able to find anything related to differences (if any) between mdl 15 and 15-2.
    From my research:

During 1975–1976, further refinements to the Models 14 and 15 were incorporated into production as the Models 14-2 and 15-2. The Model 15-2 became the most well known and the best selling Dan Wesson revolver model to go into production. The 15-2 used a roll pin inserted into the frame as a centering dowel combined with a precisely drilled hole in each shroud assembly to facilitate proper shroud centering and alignment, thus eliminating the need for flanged barrel shrouds. The 15-2 introduced more barrel and shroud options, including barrel/shroud lengths of 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inches, partial or fully lugged shrouds with choices of solid or ventilated ribs, plus removable and interchangeable front sights.[5] The Model 15-2 could be ordered as "Pistol Pacs" with 3 (initially) and later 4 (or more) barrel/shroud sets shipped inside a fiberglass briefcase with barrel changing tool and clearance gauges; however, most pistols were sold with only one barrel, with the buyers able to purchase other barrels later. All barrels and shrouds within a model series are compatible, thus a Model 15-2 frame from the 1970s may be equipped with a barrel from the 1990s and shroud made in 2016. The 15-2 increased sales markedly over the earlier models, and were often seen in use with both target shooters and hunters.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Snow ninja Thank you for the info.

One Gun Andy - Didnt mean to take over the selling thread but I have learned a lot today. Good Luck on getting it sold - as mentioned before - wish I could afford it.

Boolit Master

would really love to have this but its been a rough month, are you interested in any trades of some kind or other.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Snow ninja, for a most interesting DW history lesson. I appreciate the membership here being willing to share information and give valuable insights.

No, thank you on the trades rancher1913. It's put a new clutch in the truck time...
    Last edited by One Gun Andy; 09-05-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Boolit Master

I have never had to have a gun shipped thru a ffl before, let me talk to my local ffl guy, and see if the kids have any money I can borrow. nothing definite but I am going to try my best to give this a home.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

Fyi, My DW 15-2 is s/n 173,xxx, and I was told by DW tech in Norwich, NY similar lack of records re manufacture dates -- but, he "thinks" mine was made in 1978. The 'phone number I used was 1-607-336-1174. (On their site now, they have a different number... ???) Regardless, I put a Wolff Reduced Spring Kit (#132596) in mine, and it is 2nd only to a Colt Python in being a pleasure to shoot at range. Well made revolver!

Boolit Bub
    Good intel, georgerkahn. Please not that mine has a 5-digit serial number which would make it a good bit earlier than yours. And as you said, a fine shooting revolver.

Boolit Bub
    I will take it. PM to follow

15. 09-05-2018, 06:24 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

16. 09-05-2018, 07:51 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

17. 09-05-2018, 08:09 PM
    Reason
    Not a discussion thread

Boolit Bub
    Dan Wesson revolver is sold to 454 shooter. Thanks to all who posted information and sources for the great Dan Wesson revolvers! There's obviously a following here.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks OBXPilgrim for substantiating my claim for the original grip on this revolver. IMO, it was better than the rips that followed.