Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: brass in a SHARPS CARBINE

Boolit Master

brass in a SHARPS CARBINE

i have an I. A. B. ARMY SPORT SHARPS PERCUSSION CARBINE. and have some brass, 54 CAL. brass for a model 1859 and model 1863 PEDERSOLI percussion SHARPS. can they be made to fit the I, A. B. SHARPS ? they are made to be used in place of loose powder and ball or rolled paper cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    i have an I. A. B. ARMY SPORT SHARPS PERCUSSION CARBINE. and have some brass, 54 CAL. brass for a model 1859 and model 1863 PEDERSOLI percussion SHARPS. can they be made to fit the I, A. B. SHARPS ? they are made to be used in place of loose powder and ball or rolled paper cartridges.
    Toot I'm not sure if it will. Remember hearing they modified the breach area. I read something on the NSSA SIGHT A long time ago. About it.
    Also looks like we are not going to Hopkinton either. First soccer game is saturday. Not tuning up there saturday late just for musket on sunday. It's 4 hrs for ys.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master
    59sharps, yes that is along ride just to shoot in one match, then turn & burn! i see them advertised on the BUFFALO site for $5.95 each. can't remember rite now it is say for what gun they are for. will have to check. will surely catch up and talk with you next time at FUR-FIN -FEATHER, toot.

Boolit Master
    toot. If you get a couple and they work please post your experience here. I have the same make rifle which I have not, as yet, shot. Would like to hear how it goes for you..

I had an IAB STILES it shot well. I did have to have the breach block worked to keep it shooting all day. If I remember right I used an NIE confederate sharps bullet in it. Don't remember the charbe.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master
    well i trimmed back the brass, PEDERSOLI brass cases so that they would come flush with the back of the chamber. i got that far. now i have to figure out a powder load. the bullet head i will be using will be a RAPINE, Christmas tree/ ring tail bullet. .544.475. i glued one on to the brass and it fit perfectly. i am having work done on the breach block, when i get it back i will go further. and the beat goes on!!.

Boolit Buddy
    well i trimmed back the brass, PEDERSOLI brass cases so that they would come flush with the back of the chamber. i got that far. now i have to figure out a powder load. the bullet head i will be using will be a RAPINE, Christmas tree/ ring tail bullet. .544.475. i glued one on to the brass and it fit perfectly. i am having work done on the breach block, when i get it back i will go further. and the beat goes on!!.
    Unless the brass is considerably smaller than the diameter of the I.A.B. chamber, you're going to need a piece of wire with a hook end to grab the touch hole and pull it out.

Boolit Master
    people who shoot them in a PEDERSOLI just tap them out with a long dowel they don't stick in the gun after firing. MANNY A. does a you tube video of him shooting them at the range and nocking them out with a rod, and cleaning them up after shooting them with BALIStOL.

use whatever load you are using w paper. do same as i said to do w Hanns tubes put a newspaper wad against powder to hold it in place. Air space is not a problem in the sharps.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Buddy
    people who shoot them in a PEDERSOLI just tap them out with a long dowel they don't stick in the gun after firing. MANNY A. does a you tube video of him shooting them at the range and nocking them out with a rod, and cleaning them up after shooting them with BALIStOL.
    That certainly seems to negate the advantage(?) of the brass case. I shoot with Charlie's tubes and could not be more pleased with them.

Boolit Master
    What is this "bullet head" that you speak of?

Boolit Master
    bullet head, think about it? bullet, is that better. sorry for the confusion. i only asked about using them be cause i have them and would like to try them. i know that tubes are better. why let them set in a draw at $5.00+ each? i will use them and let you know how they work for me? i can always go back to tubes.

Boolit Master
    i got my breach block back and installed in the gun. the brass was loaded with 38 GRS of 2FG. GOEX. and a RAPINE .544.475 SHARPS RING TAIL/ CHRISTMAS TREE bullet glued onto the mouth and a touch of wax on the rear flash hole to keep the powder in the case. every one fit perfect,brass was 1.500 inches long. so they will work, just to let you know if you come across some loose PEDERSOLI brass cases for a SHARPS other than a PEDERSOLI percussion carbine. question solved for me.

Boolit Master
    i shot the SHARPS I. A. B. today with the brass PEDERSOLI brass cases with 38 grains of GOEX 2FG. black powder, RAPINE RING TAIL / CHRISTMAS TREE bullet.shot one off hand and 10 of of the bench. shot a 4 inch group, not bad! yes i pushed them out with a dowel.

Boolit Master
    the boolet / bullet that i used was a RAPINE, SHARPS .544/475. also shot CHARILE HAHNS rolled paper tubes with 38 GRS. of 2FG. GOEX BLACK POWDER. i used the same load in both.i had STELLER PERFORMANCE with both brass and paper. total burn up with paper tubes. shot all day with no trouble inserting then.