WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder charge difference between plated and lead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I personally had very good results with plated bullets. For example this is my IDPA load: Ransom Rest 25 yards, 5 rounds 100 grain Berry bullet at 1400fps , 9mm 1911 S&W, exceeds the 125K required IDPA power factor. I also have powder coated loads that comes close to the same accuracy,

Attachment 226914
    That’s nothing to sneeze at, and better than I’ve ever gotten.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    That’s nothing to sneeze at, and better than I’ve ever gotten.
    Of course I didn't show you the hundreds of rounds that went down range trying to find a load combination that worked. Those groups were not so impressive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Of course I didn't show you the hundreds of rounds that went down range trying to find a load combination that worked. Those groups were not so impressive.
    I know what you mean! BTW, doesn’t Berry’s say to stay under 1250 with their plated? Interesting that it works well in spite of that. Also, may I ask why you decided to go light and fast rather than going heavy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Have fun with the testing, what you will find is that the difference between plated and lead is small enough to ignore for most purposes. You’ll also find that there are differences based on the caliber and brand of bullets, much as there will be small differences based on composition, sizing and lube on lead bullets. You’re kinda taking a BR shooting approach to loading a revolver bullet, only you know if this is appropriate for your shooting.
    I like your comment on "taking a BR shooting approach to loading a revolver bullet". Upon reflection that puts my load testing for my 44 Special in the exact right category. I reckon that is exactly what I have been trying to do, but not realized it until just now. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12