Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: 45 acp bullet in 45-70

Boolit Master

45 acp bullet in 45-70

Anyone ever try patching and loading a 45 acp bullet for 45-70?

I would like to take the 230gr BD bullet weighing 235gr and push it as fast as possible.

Just thought I would ask if anyone had been down this road.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Never did it in 45/70 but tried it in a 458 American which is about a rimless 45/70 on a belted
    magnum case. Got lousy accuracy and gave up the project.

Boolit Master

I’ve got a 45-70 chamber insert that accepts 45 ACP for my Siamese Mauser. It turns it into a single shot with a max range of 30 yards with cast boolits due to poor accuracy.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I have patched 45 ACP 200 gr. SWC's in 45-70.

They are deadly on close in ground hogs.

The confetti makes me giggle.

I have also powdercoated same.

Never tried 'em past 50 yards.

Go for it !!!

Boolit Master

Humor me. Wouldn't an ACP be pretty far from lands and groves? Unless the insert compensates for this?

Boolit Master
    I've paper patched 270SAA's for my #1. They shoot very well at 50 yards (the furthest I have tested them).
    BUT, I put them over 15 grains of Trail Boss for about 1250fps. I didn't try for 2500fps.
    Not sure what the "BD" bullet profile is, but I'd imagine that if you patched it correctly out to the lands and filled the case under it with Trail Boss it would work.
    Hogdon lists H4198 with a 250grn Barnes at 2487fps in their levergun data. That's where I'd start if I were trying to fling them to light speed.
    My 270SAA's over Trail Boss were the first bullets I ever patched. Easy enough for this Cave Man........

Boolit Master

Here’s the mold http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...a0bg0idm0bnqs3

I was thinking a full case of slower burning powder would be better than 4198.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    Get some 45/70 Button Bullets. Lyman and Noe have molds for them. Western Bullet Supply also offer cast.
    The bullets was used for use by soldiers to shot in the barracks to practice in their off hours.
    Leadmeter
    MI

Boolit Master
    Uncle Larry used to wrap teflon tape around 45 acp cast and shoot them in his 45/70 guide gun. It was a mild load of less than 45 acp power and the tape flew like confetti! But he had 100% hits on pistol silhouette animals set at 50/ 60/ 80 and 120 yds.

It doesn't take much wrapping to find the money for a mold of the right size....

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I’ve got a 45-70 chamber insert that accepts 45 ACP for my Siamese Mauser. It turns it into a single shot with a max range of 30 yards with cast boolits due to poor accuracy.
    Not terribly surprising when you consider that most 45acp bullets are sized .452, and 45/70 and .458 are sized .458 to .462.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Worked ok with a 453-350 rnfp mountain mold . Might be fun with a papered RB.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    for a 45acp bullet to work well in a 45-70 barrel, it would likely be a paper patch affair. Paper patching is something I tried and took a pass on after many trips to the range. just not my cup o' tea.
    however, I have tried a .40 pistol bullet in a sabot, in a barrel similar to 45-70.
    May I suggest a .45 sabot with the .40 pistol bullet?

Boolit Master
    I've a mold from Saeco that casts a 250 gr wadcutter mics out at .456 and I've fired it unsized in my 1885 Browning over a charge of 2400 and got decent accuracy at 50 yds. I think that particular mold may be special order now.

Boolit Master
    If wanting to do. Paper patching one for a look see. 3 wraps on a home cast would bring that ACP bullets dia up close from .452/.453__ to 456-7 maybe?
    Enough diameter to at least touch its rifling. i.e. Something worth trying I'd say. (Lets us know how your experiment turns-out?)

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    As another option Accurate shows a 46-145 all the way to 46-560 .
    Most of my 45 ACP/Schofield/Colts moulds throw .454 . 2 wraps of Green Bar chain printer paper would yield .460-.461 and "iron on" dry to .459 without any difficulty . At that point a full case of H322 probably wouldn't have enough dwell time in a 24" barrel to burn under a even a 185 gr .490 RB sized down to .454 much less a SWC .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I shot some this evening for the first time. It was a Lee 230 TL RN that pours at .452. Two wraps of .002 tracing paper was real close to .459-.460,they were lubed with Rooster Lube., I shot 12 grns. of Trail Boss. Five shots went into 4 in. at 100 yds. Not real good but better than I really expected, at least it was not wild and scattered.

I will probably try a few more just to see what happens but it is a real pain to wrap. I did it just because but don't see spending a lot of time on this. I have other loads that work much better with less fuss but it does give you options.

Slightly related, have used Keith SWC's paper patched in a .458 bore muzzleloader.
    It's just a shorty maxiball.

Boolit Buddy

Easy paper patch factory bullet...

Speer 250 gr. SWC swaged lead. It's about a .451-.452" bullet meant for the 45 Colt. Patch it up to .458-.460". Have fun.