Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Magazines

Boolit Master
    Wilson Combat in my 45 ACP pistols, and my 38 Super. Pricey, but I believe the best there is.

Boolit Master

If I were buying more 1911 mags, Checkmate is producing an option with the original tapered GI feed lips. This adheres to the First Commandment: Thou Shalt Not **** With John Browning's Blueprints. The GI profile mags fed the somewhat ill-advised 452423's gargantuan meplat with the least ramp-induced damage to the nose of all the mags I tried. I've since moved on to saner profiles, but that testing made me a believer.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    As to the Cobra Tripp mags, I bought Four 10 rounders and four 8 rounders when they first came out. Broke the ejector off three 1911s before I figured out the that the back of the 10 round mags was taller than spec. I tried talking with Tripp, only got his wife, (three times), no customer service at all. I filed a notch in them so they clear the ejectors and they've been good ever since. But I'll never buy another Tripp mag as long as I live.
    Thats good to know. I just bought Rock Island 1911 in 10mm that came with 2 10 round Tripp Cobras. I'll have to check those now make sure I dont have the same problem.
    Thank you.

Banned
    So with the Wilson Combat magazine, 8 round or 7 round?

Boolit Master

I prefer 7 rounder for social. The 8 rounders have a thinner spring wire and require annual changes or when problems occur.

Super Moderator

I prefer the 8 round mags w/baseplate. They are very easy to disassemble and clean. If you somehow manage to break or damage a mag during the course of normal use, Wilson will replace it. I have noticed no difference in reliability between the 7 or 8 round mags.

I've got an even dozen 1911-type .45s, and used to have more. I've shot them extensively over the years, both in target practice and for qualification, and carried them extensively but was never a participant in the run, dodge, duck and hide competitions. I've encountered a bad magazine here and there, but very few that had a good appearance that had not been stepped on or otherwise mistreated. I ran across a couple of early WW I mags that didn't work well, and had a stainless mag that lost it's base plate, unknown makes. Once in awhile I've had one that wasn't very reliable in one pistol, but which had flawless function in another pistol and then marked them for exclusive use in that pistol only. Reading through the preceding posts I see lots of recommendations for certain makes, but few condemnations of specific brands. It is my opinion that today's mags are good from almost all makers. I can't make a hard and fast statement that all are good from all makers, not having tried them all, and some have gone and others will no doubt come on the market. But one example I can give is 1911 mags made by Triple K Mfg. Co. You'll get varied opinions on their mags, and they make many after market and replacement mags for many pistols. Once or twice a year they will offer mags at a great discount from their usual prices, but to get the discount you have to buy a certain number of that particular type of mag, perhaps a minimum of 3 or maybe 5. I took advantage of these sales several years ago and among others purchased 1911 mags in quantity, perhaps a dozen this time and a dozen the next time, and now have a couple of shoe boxes full of new Triple K 1911 mags in both stainless and blue. The only thing that I have sometimes found it necessary to do is to tweek the little doglegged tab on the followers with a pair of non-marring parallel jaw pliers, usually bending it upward a bit to reliably activate the slide stop of a particular pistol. I then dedicate that mag to that pistol, as once this adjustment is made for "x" pistol it may not work to perform the task in "y" pistol. My .45s include specimens made by Colt, Ithaca, AMT, S&W, Ballister-Molina, etc., and it's surprising how this one hold open feature varies a little from pistol to pistol. Otherwise, I have experienced no feeding or other reliability issues with these magazines, which cost a fraction of the "big name" makes. You might keep this in mind, watch for their sales, and try a few out.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used several brands but the Ed Brown 8 pack mags work flawlessly in my loaded Springfield Armory guns.

Boolit Grand Master

All we sell to customers who are serious are Wilson been using them for as long as he has been making them. They have never let me down on the range 500 rounds a day or in the field soaked in river water and mud.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some magazine designs are inferior. If one has to ask why, a study of how types differ is in order.

A hint: some magazines have features that others lack. At that point one is well advised to wonder if the presence or absence of a feature indicates a flaw in the design.

It often does. The short rear skirt folded follower has always been inferior to the original configuration, for instance.

Boolit Master

Another +1 for Chip McCormick. Around 30 years ago, I was really into IPSC, Steel Challenge, NRA Action, etc. and invested in a dozen McCormick 8-rounders. Have replaced the springs a couple times over the years but, otherwise, not a single problem. This morning, ran a couple hundred rounds through two different 1911s...a Series 70 Gold Cup and a pre-70 Commander...interchanging magazines between guns, without a single bobble.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I have several mags 45,10mm 40 S&W and 9mm from Wilson,Tripp,Metalform,Checkmate and ACT(S&W) for several makes of 1911 and all feed just about everything but some from Metalform in 9 mm will not drop free from
    my RIA and Springfield Armory.

Boolit Master

I think more info is needed to answer your question fairly.What bullet,what length barrel,what load and how many rounds are parameters that may make a difference in the best answer. So I give you my .02 cents worth.
    Scenario one.) Withdraw enough money from your savings account that it will cause your wife to divorce you and then sell a kidney. Combine the two amounts and buy the magazine that is advertised in full color in all the gun rags. Make sure the brand has a person's name, a model number and at least one character or symbol. An example is : Jack Smith M55 Super Shooting Star. 8 rounder. Price is no object.
    Scenario Two.) Take a stock Colt magazine and put a Pachmayr SS follower in it. Use this for about 250,000 rounds. Watch for a crack on the rear of the mag out to the top lip. The earlier Colt mags made in the 1940's will not crack.. Another good way to go is an aftermarket Metalform. I can not say much about them as none of mine has over 10k rounds through them. So I don't know if they are worth the price of $15.00 or not.

Boolit Grand Master
    Radius the clearance cut corners in the back of the magazine with a small round file. This eliminates the stress riser that causes cracking.

Paying 35-40 bucks a mag is more than a little bit excessive.

Banned
    wv109323- Thanks for the views on money vs. satisfaction - that gave me a good laugh. Every bit of it is true.

I was a user of the 1911 for many years and drifted away from that platform many years ago for various reasons.
    I'm going to start playing with the 1911 again.
    20-25 years ago, there were some very good 1911 magazine and some junk. Overall it seems nothing has changed in that department.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Boolit Bub
    I like the Wilsons and the McCormicks, both have been reliable for me. I have used 8 round mags exclusively.

Boolit Master

ww.midwayusa.com/product/1762174459/springfield-armory-magazine-1911-government-commander-45-acp

$13.99 blued $15.99 Stainless, used them for years and they work fine.
    whatever you want for carry gun, your choice. But these mags have worked very well for me in any 1911 pattern gun.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

A few years back I bought 20 GI mags from CMP. They had a deal where you bought 10 mags in a carton for a very decent price. I went for two cartons. I have a lifetime supply of mags that work. These are genuine Colt mags in the GI style. Nothing fancy, no stainless steel and not a piece of plastic in sight. They came wrapped in oiled paper and in perfect condition and they all work perfectly.

I strap on my 1911 when I get up and take it off when I go to bed or take a nap. I have loaded magazines hidden all over the house so I am never more than 8 feet away from a reload and I pack two mags on a carrier on my left side. My home defense needs are met with my Norinco '97 hidden in the living room behind a shelf/cabinet and a Baker side by side 12 gauge in the bedroom. I do not entertain kids or children so these guns are loaded and my trusty Sgt Rambo, a 12 lb chihuahua has sharp teeth and a killer heart..
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

A few years back I bought 20 GI mags from CMP. They had a deal where you bought 10 mags in a carton for a very decent price. I went for two cartons. I have a lifetime supply of mags that work. These are genuine Colt mags in the GI style. Nothing fancy, no stainless steel and not a piece of plastic in sight. They came wrapped in oiled paper and in perfect condition and they all work perfectly.
    That's all you need with a pistol that is set up correctly. I ----personally can't see 30/40$$ for a Mag.

+ how many people let a 30 or 40 $$ mag hit the ground when they practice reloads. Guy told me once--Oh I will do it if I have to.

He got ticked when I told him "no you will not" at least not very well.
    Last edited by gray wolf; 09-11-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Chip McCormick
    Same here. Wilson's are good too but I standardized on Chip's due to cost.

NEW GI mags work well. Used quite a few of them. But, I really didn't trust one until it had a few hundred rounds through it without hiccup.

And, yes, I do drop all of them when practicing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast