MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Magazines

Banned

1911 Magazines

OK - Years ago there was a short list of 1911 magazines that were known to be reliable. It has been a while since I delved into this topic, but here goes:

What are the currently available 1911 magazines (single stack) that are considered to the most reliable ?

Super Moderator

I use the Wilson Combat #47D mags, they are very reliable for me.

Boolit Master
    I second Wilson combat,hard to beat

Banned
    Wilson Magazines were the top pick 20+ years ago.
    Seems they are holding onto that reputation.

I purchased a lot of 12 magazines a few months ago from a guy on eBay for about $120. Not sure what manufacturer as they are not marked but I believe they are Checkmate. They were set up for SWC but I use them for everything. 8 Round mags.
    I have yet to have trouble with any of them and have used them in all 4 of my 1911 pistols with a variety of loads. (RIA, Springfield, and Sig)
    The only other non factory mags I have purchased were Shooting Star. No trouble with those either.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-03-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Chip McCormick
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I've found CheckMate magazines to be the most reliable in all my 1911's.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

About 20 years ago I bought 10 Chip McCormick stainless 10 round mags (1911 style single stack) for $100 and haven't looked back. They have been great mags for my 1911's.

Boolit Master

Cobra Tripp. These are pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post

+1. My favorite so far.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

My personal experience is that the following brands are reliable,
    Metalform,
    springfield armory milspec (metalform),
    Kimber (checkmate),
    checkmate,
    colt (some of both metalform and checkmate depending on vintage)
    Wilson combat
    Ed brown
    Chip McCormick shooting star

I've had all of these different brands and havent had much in the way of trouble. Some of the checkmate mags I had a few problems with. Mostly feeling like I needed to change springs, although I never had any problems. Had one that cracked the feedlips on a kimber marked mag.

I've not had any experience with mecgar, but im told they are good.

Currently, I have 4 1911 mags. 2 checkmates, 1 springfield factory stainless, and 1 wilson D47 with metal baseplate. I carry that wilson as a reload so I have 1 extra round, but without having the mag sticking out of the bottom of my gun. That and I bought it used for 10 bucks.

I might add, that all these mags were or are currently used in my springfield armory milspec stainless.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    One more Vote https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod16398.aspx
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

During my Ipsc days I had built a 45 from parts with a bit of help from some Army Markmanship Unit assistance. Magazines were a real issue. I used GI mags with inconsistent results. I used some Wilson mags with excellent results and mags made by Metalform worked flawlessly. I contacted them and was able to procure a batch of mags (about 6 or 7) with rounded followers and removable floorplates to help in cleaning the mags and no more issues from the mags just the shooter.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    As to the Cobra Tripp mags, I bought Four 10 rounders and four 8 rounders when they first came out. Broke the ejector off three 1911s before I figured out the that the back of the 10 round mags was taller than spec. I tried talking with Tripp, only got his wife, (three times), no customer service at all. I filed a notch in them so they clear the ejectors and they've been good ever since. But I'll never buy another Tripp mag as long as I live.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are using ball or ball profile HP’s original type tapered lip magazines are the most correct prescription.

Boolit Master
    Bought 6 Chip McCormick 6 rounders some years back when doing some steel plate matches. Except for the shooter all functioned great, and expect the last 5 I bought to be as good as well. Friend gave me a 10 rounder but the small tabs wouldn't allow it to lock up with the mag catch. Removed the offending tabs and fit and locked up great. Buddy who gave it to me was suprised when he saw it in my 1911A1. Never doubt a little yankee ingenuity. Frank

Boolit Master
    Wilson Combat here.

Boolit Master

Wilson 47D 7 rounders for solcial work and 8 rounders for games. For 9mms look @ Metalform rounders. The are the Springfield Armory style with the ramp to preventmfirst round nose dives in your game guns.

I tried the the Wilson 9mm ETM 1st Gen and they were a no go. Still need to return them or toss them. Good for 6 rounds but anymore and it's a feedway jam.

Bencareful not to use the Chip McCormicks on alloy framed guns. On slidelock, the bottom of the follower strikes the feedramp and will, over time wear through the anodizing and leave dent marks.

Banned
    Thanks for the responses.

Wilson was considered the top of the line about 20-25 years ago and it seems they are still holding onto their reputation.

I had good feed reliability with the factory Colt mags (which I believe were Checkmate manufacture but I don't recall). However I did have one that the floor plate separated. That resulted in the magazine tube remaining locked in the gun but the floor plate, spring, follower and all of the rounds ejecting out the bottom of the pistol. Not an easy malfunction to recover from ! Fortunately it was just during some friendly competition. I found all the parts, tacked the floor plate back on with a welder, filed in back down and used that mag for years after that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Chip McCormick
    Powermags. All I use!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast