RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Attn. California C&R Holders

Boolit Master

Attn. California C&R Holders

Just received an email from Empire Arms:

Attention California C&R holders:

We have recently been contacted by the California Department of Justice been and informed that we can no longer ship ANY firearms classified as Curio & Relics to holders of a Class 03 Federal Firearms license in the state of California.

ALL C&R firearms sent to California MUST be shipped to a DEALER, so the state of California can collect state sales tax on the purchase price (and the transfer dealer can charge you anything they want for their "service").

Of course, we are not at all happy about this and I am certain none of you will be either. As a former resident of California I am VERY saddened about your situation. If you have relatives in an adjacent state that you visit often we are willing to ship any C&R firearms you may order to their address and you can LEGALLY pick them up and transport them yourself back to California.

Dennis Kroh, owner
    EMPIRE ARMS
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I’ve always wondered what authority a state had in this regard. Would the state of CA file criminal charges in federal court against a shipper in another state? Seems like it might be a violation of state law, but a state court doesn’t have jurisdiction outside the state.

Same question for folks shipping ammo or magazines into NY, NJ or Cook county IL.

I believe with the SafeAct the same is true here in NYS.

Boolit Master
    It's all for our own "safety". Just ask a lib.!

Boolit Master

I highly question what Mr. Kroh says in the last paragraph. I thought a C&R firearm purchased by an 03 FFL had to be shipped to the address on the C&R license. Am I wrong on this?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    I highly question what Mr. Kroh says in the last paragraph. I thought a C&R firearm purchased by an 03 FFL had to be shipped to the address on the C&R license. Am I wrong on this?
    You are correct. When purchasing with an 03, the firearm must be shipped to the address on the 03 license.

Denny

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    You are correct. When purchasing with an 03, the firearm must be shipped to the address on the 03 license.

Denny
    One time I ordered a firearm from him and because I was rarely at home when UPS tried to deliver, I asked that the package be held for pickup at the UPS distribution facility. Once tracking said it was at that facility, I drove over and picked it up. I still had to sign for it and show ID. The package had my address on the label. This was several years ago. More recently, a seller refused to accommodate such a request. In that case I managed to be at home to sign for the package before it was returned. I've since retired and it is not a problem.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    It basically sounds like they are ensuring they get their tax money to me. CA is really on a tax everyone to death binge anymore. They even make your life difficult when you move out of the state too.

Boolit Master

basically commiefornia just effectively made a C&R illegal in that state, as it cant be used.

Moderator Emeritus

Basically joins NJ as a C&R is not available there.

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    And that means that effectively there are no C&R licensees in Ca. anymore. All guns must be treated as modern firearms.

When I was a kid, California was held forth as the place to live free. Well, that got screwed up, didn't it? It's a wonderful state to visit away from the cities but you would have to pay me a LOT to live there as it seems you have more freedom in Baja!

Boolit Master
    Can a C&R holder in CA still purchase a gun on the list in a store in another state and bring it back to CA?