Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Brass recycling

Brass recycling

Hey all,
    Does anyone know of a place that I can dump off used brass for money$$? I have about 10-15 lbs that I won’t reload. All mixed .223, .30-06, .30-30, .35 Rem, .9mm, .40 cal, etc. Most of the rifle casings are federal which I don’t load and I don’t load .9mm or .40cal. I would think it’s worth something to a recycle place. I live in Mesa, AZ and work in Phoenix so if someone knows of a place I’d appreciate the help.
    Thanks!

Look up metal recyclers in your area and call them. Some will take brass unconditionally, while others want it deprimed. Some won't take it at all.

Prices are down right now. I took over 300 pounds of brass to the recycler two weeks ago and only got $1.35 a pound, while 5 months ago, the price was $1.85 a pound. It fluctuates up and down, according to the market.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Unhappy

I run the brass recycling program for one of my local gun clubs and as mentioned above make some phone calls to your local scrap yards / recyclers to check and see if they will take cartridge brass or not, and if so what is the price they are paying. Also as mentioned above the current price on scrap brass is down compared to about 6 months ago, but it pays to phone around. I got lazy last week and just drove straight down to the local scrapyard I've been dealing with and took 175 pounds of scrap brass for recycling. They only paid me $1.00 per pound claiming that brass prices were way down on the world market. When I got home I called another local scrapyard that we've dealt with too and they quoted me $1.80 per pound. My not calling around first cost the club $140 in lost revenue. I won't make that mistake again ... I'll call around for quotes first the next time!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    One place I called wouldn't take firearm brass. The other place I called said they'd take any brass, so I took it there. When I got there I saw a sign saying that firearm brass was near nothing a pound. I asked the secretary what's up with that and she mumbled something halfway incoherent to my sadly deaf ears. but I did get the price that she had quoted over the phone. I won't be going there again.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Why not sell or trade for what you reload in the S&S section? People are always looking for brass. Better than getting pennies on the pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Banned
    ▲▲▲▲this▲▲▲▲

Thank you all for the info. I will call around. If there’s another avenue for someone wanting to reload I’d gladly give it up. I just didn’t want to toss it out.

If you decide to sell it in the S&S section of this forum, be aware that you'll need to have 30 meaningful posts before you'll be able to list anything for sale. The reason is to make the forum informative, rather than just a selling venue for profiteers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I never understood why some have a preference of head stamp. I have used all and as long as they are separated by stamp the groups were good and sorting by weight tightened a smidge. Opine aside, just trade them for what you want. If they get used past their life scrap for a dollar a pound.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Thank you for letting me know
    [ńQUOTE=ReloaderFred;4447931]If you decide to sell it in the S&S section of this forum, be aware that you'll need to have 30 meaningful posts before you'll be able to list anything for sale. The reason is to make the forum informative, rather than just a selling venue for profiteers.

Hope this helps.

Fred[/QUOTE]

Most Federal is a harder brass. I stopped reloading it about 5 years ago when I had to send a .308 die in to RCBS to remove a stick case. They suggested to avoid loading Federal cases so I stopped using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I never understood why some have a preference of head stamp. I have used all and as long as they are separated by stamp the groups were good and sorting by weight tightened a smidge. Opine aside, just trade them for what you want. If they get used past their life scrap for a dollar a pound.

Boolit Master

let georgeonedollar have it to drop at needy reloaders homes, pm brassmagnet and get the lowdown on george. you could also do some piff's and get ahead so when something comes along you can speak for it and already have your piff out of the way.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Brass recycling

there are several metal recyclers in the East Valley, I have tried three or so over the years. Google them, and give each a call to see what their current price per pound is.

The las I took was to Harmans in AJ, nice folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

PM sent.

Boolit Grand Master

Being both a reloader and a brass rat, I acluminate a 5 gallon bucket of brass every so often. This is a mix of my brass that has failed due to splits or loose primer pockets, bent or crushed range brass, burden primed stuff or stuff just so different that I can't sell or give it away. Lord have mercy on anyone that buys this thinking of using it! Anyway, I call several scrap places to check prices and make sure that will buy cartridge brass. I usually don't find a big difference in price but sometimes the telephone work pays off.

When I was working I would acluminate enough scrap copper to sell a few times a year and I would take my brass in at that time. I have use my copper as a bargaining tool to get more for the brass! I also save and sell the steel clips from melted weights along with the steel and zinc weights.

Thanks for the info lightman!

Boolit Grand Master
    It is fairly widely accepted that different brass manufacturers use slightly different brass alloys and slightly different specs for neck thickness, web strength, etc. with some guns and loads this can be significant. For most shooting I just use what comes to hand, but sometimes...

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

I have found that some brands of brass seem softer and a percentage (like 10%) are likely to get crushed during FL sizing or bullet seating...S&B and AMerc, top that list, but there are other brands that I don't recall at this time. I sort those out of my range brass and won't use them for my reloading.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Md2hunt View Post
    Hey all,
    Does anyone know of a place that I can dump off used brass for money$$? I have about 10-15 lbs that I won’t reload. All mixed .223, .30-06, .30-30, .35 Rem, .9mm, .40 cal, etc. Most of the rifle casings are federal which I don’t load and I don’t load .9mm or .40cal. I would think it’s worth something to a recycle place. I live in Mesa, AZ and work in Phoenix so if someone knows of a place I’d appreciate the help.
    Thanks!
    If you aren't able to locate any business Recycler's in your area, 15 lbs might make it worth creating a craigslist add...maybe some part time scrapper might come to you, to buy them and save you time and effort dealing with it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Call me learned. I have noticed difference hardnesses. I started annealing all my range scroungings as a part of the first initial case prep. I sort by head stamp just for case volume factor. Didnt know about different alloys. I have used them all. Never had a preference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~