Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flea market, auctions and yard sale finds

Boolit Master
    Picked up a thumler tumbler model B, 7 big ice cream buckets of lyman media and a b&d hobbyctaft workmate from an online estate sale for $14 yesterday.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Earlier this summer I got a Lyman 55 powder measure for $10 at a flea market. I don't usually go to them, but was looking for an old aluminum coffee percolator to store bullet lube. Found one for $1.00. Good day for me.

Banned
    To All,

I couldn't resist a .30-30 single-shot, that was probably made by Mossberg (I think in the 1950s.) & sold by OTASCO Stores, for 30.00 at a recent garage sale. - It came with a "no-name" 2.5X scope (other than the OTASCO marking - MAYBE made by Weaver?? It's also marked "made in USA".) & the whole thing may weigh as much as 4-4.5 pounds.
    (Oddly, for such a cheap "tire & auto supply store" sort of rifle, it has a HANDSOME walnut stock/forearm.)

Note: I suspect that it will end up in an "under-dash rack" on the 1961 Red Fish 17FT fishing boat, as if it gets stolen or lost overboard, I won't be very sad.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-15-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    Lucky, Lucky, Lucky!

Those will make for nice projects. I’m biased, but would build a nice 30-40 Krag on the engraved action!!

I really like the .30-40 but it is so close to the .303 I would go with the British cartridge in a British gun. Like they’re so close you can use .303 casings in lieu of the slightly longer .30-40.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    To All,

I couldn't resist a .30-30 single-shot, that was probably made by Mossberg (I think in the 1950s.) & sold by OTASCO Stores, for 30.00 at a recent garage sale. - It came with a "no-name" 2.5X scope (other than the OTASCO marking - MAYBE made by Weaver?? It's also marked "made in USA".) & the whole thing may weigh as much as 4-4.5 pounds.
    (Oddly, for such a cheap "tire & auto supply store" sort of rifle, it has a HANDSOME walnut stock/forearm.)

Note: I suspect that it will end up in an "under-dash rack" on the 1961 Red Fish 17FT fishing boat, as if it gets stolen or lost overboard, I won't be very sad.

yours, tex
    Pictures needed. Especially close-ups of action and any text on barrel/frame/wherever.

Boolit Master
    I visited a local thrift shop and wound up with a virtually mint copy of The target Rifle in Australia, 1860-1900 for around $8 last weekend.
    My best antique shop deal was a trio of "coffee grinders" for around $60: There were two Ideal No 1 and No 5 pre-1900 BP measures, plus either a Ballard or Bullard measure... The last one went to a friend of mine that is an authority on loading tools, it turned out the one I found was in much better shape than his... It made my day to see it with someone that appreciated it.

-Tom

Boolit Master
    I worked in an OTSCO store in Alabama in the mid 70's The scope may well have been a Tasco, but don't quote me on that. By the time I was working there we had brand name firearms. Western Auto had the "store brand " stuff.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Had a gentleman come into our bookstore last week who has been reloading for about 40 years.
    His wife had been in day before and told him there was a fellow gun nut at the local bookstore.
    Long story short he told me of a yard sale find his wife drug home.
    Children were running about yard with a toy pistol, she bought it, $20 for a silver toy pistol. Only gun she owns!
    Her husband examining it discovered it was heavy and as he looked at it realized it had a rifled barel, uncommon for toys.
    He said barrel was pristine as was plating, rating about 99+%, looked as if never fired. ie. no BP powder signature.
    Internals like day made.
    Only problem, no ammuition was readily(cheaply) available.
    He eventually id'ed the pistol as a Remingotn #4, 38 rimfire.
    I googled Remington #4s and found none close to condition he described. Nice ones were selling for close to $900.
    For only having bought herself one gun, I told him she did real well.
    These folks are good honest folks so have no reason to doubt analysis.
    He visits this website often, but is not registered, private person and I appreciate that.

Boolit Master
    Exactly what I was thinking too!!!

I had a good friend I worked with and he asked me to meet him at his dad's place years ago to see his dad's guns. We met there one day and his dad had two guns that had been in the family since new in the 1800's. One a gorgeous 1873 Winchester in .44-40 that was like new. The other a .40 caliber muzzleloader target rifle built by a well known gunsmith in San Francisco in the 1850's.
    But the third was a gun he had no interest in, but had a great story that fits here. It was an 1884 dated Trapdoor Springfield, and was in beautiful shape also. His dad had worked part time at a local sporting goods store, and one weekend a woman walked in with the Trapdoor wanting to sell it. She said her husband had left, and the two boys kept taking the old gun out to play with, so she wanted it gone. The store owner wasn't interested, so Steve's dad looked it over. He was interested, but told the woman he was broke. She asked how much he had, and he reached in his pocket and held out some change to show her how little he had. She snatched the change from his hand and stuffed the rifle into his chest. She turned and walked out the front door, leaving both men a bit dazed.
    I asked him how much change he had, and he told me it couldn't have added up to a buck. Pretty funny story to me. He asked me to sell the gun for him, so I put it on my table at the next gun show. That was back in the 1970's and I think I sold it for just under $400 back then? He was tickled with the sale.

I have an OTASCO ( Marlin) 3080 Trailrider 30 30.

IN the good old days, Kenton Ohio is where the big dog & gun gathering was at. We called it Leafy
    Oak. You could get about anything you wanted up there. I haven't been back up there since 80s. I
    herd ATF cracked down hard up there. The weekend after this the big outdoor trade days will take
    place at Rhienersville, Ohio in Morgan Cnty. A lot of gun trading and selling goes on down there. I
    get a gun deal every now and then at farm sales around here. Not often, there is always somebody
    running single barrel shotguns up to $200. The good deals around here are tools. You can by top
    shelf tools at yard sales cheaper than Dollar Store junk. I got to stop buying channel Locks and planes for a buck. A guy can only use so many.

Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    Had a gentleman come into our bookstore last week who has been reloading for about 40 years.
    His wife had been in day before and told him there was a fellow gun nut at the local bookstore.
    Long story short he told me of a yard sale find his wife drug home.
    Children were running about yard with a toy pistol, she bought it, $20 for a silver toy pistol. Only gun she owns!
    Her husband examining it discovered it was heavy and as he looked at it realized it had a rifled barel, uncommon for toys.
    He said barrel was pristine as was plating, rating about 99+%, looked as if never fired. ie. no BP powder signature.
    Internals like day made.
    Only problem, no ammuition was readily(cheaply) available.
    He eventually id'ed the pistol as a Remingotn #4, 38 rimfire.
    I googled Remington #4s and found none close to condition he described. Nice ones were selling for close to $900.
    For only having bought herself one gun, I told him she did real well.
    These folks are good honest folks so have no reason to doubt analysis.
    He visits this website often, but is not registered, private person and I appreciate that.
    Gentleman brought Remington in this morning to share with me.
    Bore not as good as originally remembered.
    Grips are absolutely perfect-and hard rubber etc.
    Serial # 55xx
    Note gold colored hammer, trigger and cylinder pin.
    Attachment 229447

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123