Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady case feeder for LNLAP review

Boolit Master

Thumbs down Hornady case feeder for LNLAP review

I saw the Hornady case feeder and thought "that's what I need!. Kinda pricey for me but I saved up and went for it.
    Well my press is a older one so I had to buy a new sub-plate for it and change it out. A bummer at $75 but no biggie.
    Got it and found out it does not come with the 4 rotors needed to make it work. So I bought the two pistol ones for $32 each. Then my shell plates would not fit the new sub plate. I had to send them to hornady to have them swapped for $10 each = shipping.
    Got it together and set up.
    Tried it with .357, 38 spl, 380, and .40 so far.
    I have used all the different bushings and adapters in every possible way recommended in the manual and some combos I just tried anyway.
    The top jams every few cases and the block that moves the cases from the tube to the drop also jams every few rounds.
    I have tried all the internet fixes and some work to some point with some cases but each case size is a new ball game.
    The short version is that you have to find the sweet spot for each separate stations adjustment and each case has different sweet spots. Even then
    I cant get it dialed in. All the adjustments go from not enough to too much With no sweet spot. Works for a few then jams.
    I have been persistent thinking there's just a massive learning curve. But so far no dice.
    Yours may work great and if so count yourself lucky. As for me, I can not recommend it.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    When you say that the top jams do you mean that the cases pile up in the funnel or that the rotating plate inside the hopper gets jammed?

I have had both problems. The first was solved by bending the arm on the shutoff switch slightly up. The issue is that they only have a single size funnel up top and the small brass could almost go around it without shutting off the motor. The second I solved by putting a zip tie through two holes in the hopper a couple inches before they opening, it is at a height to knock off any stacked up brass.

For the pivot the problem I had was overtightening the bolt that connects the pivot support to the upright. Overtightening crushes the hollow upright and causes misalignment. Once I got that right I polished and waxed the surfaces between the upper and lower pivot parts so things move smoothly.

All that said, I’m going to load about 2,500 rounds of .223 next weekend and then switch over to .45 acp and do a run of those. While switching the dies is easy, getting it all to run smoothly with the case and bullet feeders requires practice and patience.

I share your frustration. I have had it set up with a couple of calibers where it worked well, but it is difficult to get there.

JimB, could you post some pictures of your modifications?

I'll be watching this thread with interest.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    When you say that the top jams do you mean that the cases pile up in the funnel or that the rotating plate inside the hopper gets jammed?

I have had both problems. The first was solved by bending the arm on the shutoff switch slightly up. The issue is that they only have a single size funnel up top and the small brass could almost go around it without shutting off the motor. The second I solved by putting a zip tie through two holes in the hopper a couple inches before they opening, it is at a height to knock off any stacked up brass.

For the pivot the problem I had was overtightening the bolt that connects the pivot support to the upright. Overtightening crushes the hollow upright and causes misalignment. Once I got that right I polished and waxed the surfaces between the upper and lower pivot parts so things move smoothly.

All that said, I’m going to load about 2,500 rounds of .223 next weekend and then switch over to .45 acp and do a run of those. While switching the dies is easy, getting it all to run smoothly with the case and bullet feeders requires practice and patience.
    How about a picture of the zip tie mod.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post

I have also had both issues. For the stacking in the drum ,I used a heavy duty zip tie and a spring clamp to hold it in place to knock the cases back down . This did help some with the .357 and .40 sized cases.
    The .380 cases will drop in to the funnel sideways. A business card in the funnel opposite side of the adjustable metal slide helped some.

The case feeder comes with a large and small plastic drop tube. The .40s stick in the small tube and stagger baddly in the large tube. When staggered in the large tube and going through the pivot blocks. The case mouth of the pivoting case catches the rim of the case on top of it and locks up. There is a bushing that helps this. But there is not quite enough adjustment to swing the block far enough to drop the case to the shell plate when I use it. I may try and add a piece of leather there to add some hight and get the adjustment in the proper range.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    There is a intermediate tube for the .40 caliber and a pivot reinforcement bracket as well as a case feeder tip stop to stop cases from falling over on the shell plate. If you don’t have them phone Hornady and they will send for free.

It can be done but it can also be frustrating. One reason why I’d recommend the 650 over the LNL if you want case feed.

Boolit Master
    I have the zip tie out at the moment as the .223 brass feeds better without it, but here are the holes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F64228E-5B90-4734-8750-171DDDA210CB.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	226582

I also use the Hornady case feeder to feed my CasePro and it works great for that, but connected to the press it requires careful adjustment for each caliber. It also seems to work best when it has just a couple handfuls of brass in it, the more I add after that the more issues I have.

Boolit Master
    I only load handgun on my LNL and the only cases that give me grieve are 357. All 9mm, .38, 44 special, 44 magnum and 45 acp all fill the tube in seconds. Because the 357 cases are tall and skinny they just don’t want to standup in the plate slots as well. It takes twice as long to load 357 and when there are only a handful left I have to fill tube by hand.
    I have used a 1/4” synflex hose tube with a clamp to try and get cases to knock cases back but might give your zip tie a try.

Boolit Master
    I had one but figured out I could hand load the cases as fast and more reliably with none of the noise. The bullet feeder is what really saves me the time and effort. The case feeder required more effort than it was worth.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    Buck1, I empathize with your frustration. I use Dillon 650 presses, but when a friend wanted to get into reloading he chose the Hornady Ammo Plant because it had a bullet feeder. He needed that as he has a problem using his left hand. To set everything up we both had to learn the Hornady system and I have to agree getting and keeping everything working compared to the Dillon is a real pain. Knowing what I know now we could have added the bullet feeder to the Dillon and have been way ahead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I had one but figured out I could hand load the cases as fast and more reliably with none of the noise. The bullet feeder is what really saves me the time and effort. The case feeder required more effort than it was worth.
    I am working on ways to quiet the BULLET feeder, the case feeder is very quiet in comparison.

Do you run lubed cast bullets through the bullet feeder? I’ve only run jacketed, plated, and coated.

Boolit Master
    Don't bother to try lubed in the feeder, they gum up the works immediately. I guess you figured out how I know this?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Don't bother to try lubed in the feeder, they gum up the works immediately. I guess you figured out how I know this?
    That was my expectation, but thanks for trying it out so I don’t have to!��

Boolit Bub
    I owned the Hornady press when I first started loading. The entire case feeding mechanism seemed like an afterthought. I had nothing but trouble with the whole setup. Never fed primers worth a darn either. The one bit of advise I will give with any case feeder is make a post and brace it to the wall. If the feeder is shaking around way up there it will never work great. Other than that, cut your losses, sell the whole setup and buy a 650 with a MR Bulletfeeder(even feeds lubed boolits) if required. You will come out head and shoulders above the "ammo plant"
    Last edited by dyecocker1; 09-05-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Boolit Master

I loaded 55,770 rounds on two LNL's with none of problems that other loaders have had. Owned a Dillon 550 and SDB they were good presses but I use about 12 seater dies so tool heads get expensive. If you take your time and adjust the LNL's you will have less problems.

Boolit Master
    Once again turned into a Hornady bashing thread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    This discussion is far more balanced than most! None of the systems are perfect, I’ve spent many hours getting a Dillon SDB to run reliably. Support from Hornady and Dillon have been equally good. Might buy a Dillon 650 just so I can provide an assessment of each.

Boolit Master
    Certainly no bashing intended in my statement, just the facts. Since I have been an active handloader for over 50 years I can say every company manufacturing reloading products has problems and design issues. The real mark of a company is how they handle the problems & design issues and I can say in all my dealing with customer service at Dillon and RCBS they have been outstanding.
    From the two contacts I had with Hornady, one on the primer system on the Ammo Plant and the other regarding their neck turning tool, customer service was not forth coming. The first step in fixing a problem is being able to admit you have a problem.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I feel my opinion is fair, I have owned both and loaded many pistol and rifle with both. One just worked for me. I rarely pull the handle on the 650 anymore either now that I have moved to a Mark 7 1050. I still load precision rifle on the 650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast