MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Cleaning up and refinishing a old Sweded 6.5x55 Mod. 42

Boolit Master

Cleaning up and refinishing a old Swede 6.5x55 md 42

I traded for this old Carl Gustaf 6.5x55, that had the stock broken on it 2+ years ago, had been sitting in a corner begging to be fixed up. This past week I dug out a French walnut 96 stock and trimmed it back to fit the rifle. It had its fair share of dings, and places where the finish was none existent. I cleaned the finish and gunk off it, sanded it down to 300 grit and applied some med brown stain. Much to my surprise, it turned the walnut a mahogany red, reminiscent of the older Winchester finishes, or English red. I sanded, stained and finally steel wooled it with 4-0000 steel wool. I then applied 6 coats of tru-oil, letting it dry and and steel wooling between each coat. I think it turned out pretty good, but still wished the grain had filled up a little better. As a surprise, the stock turned out to have black tiger stripe all the way up it and on the handguard, something you could never see with the factory finish. The rifle has a mint bore, with the tightest action I have ever handled in a 96, and I have quite a bit of experience dating back to 1985, when I ran a gun/gunsmithing shop up till 98, and have built over100 sporters on these actions, rebarreled a few, back then they went for $69 each. This one shoots high, as most do, but I have a taller front sight blade that I plan on installing. I also recently purchased a Carl Gustaf Diopeter sight, with all the original paperwork, that I plan on mounting to this rife, and see what it will really do. My first groups shot at 50 and 100 yds, printed a ragged hole at 50 yds, and a nicely rounded 1.6" group at 100ys with my hunting load of 120 Sierra SP, that is moved along at 2985fps with an appropriate charge of IMR 3031. This load shoots a ragged hole out of fully tuned 96 that I sporterized back in 1985, and have hunted with it since. I have done extensive load work over 3 years, and IMR 3031 came out on top, in effiecency, accuracy, and velocity, in a field of 20 powders, and 4 different brands of bullets, ending up with la 85 gr BTHP, a 120gr SP and a 140 grain loads, that will all shoot 1/2 inch or better at 100 yds, all shooting Sierra bullets. Recently checked this load on Quick Load computer program, and it came out at 95% efficient! I can send pics to someone who can post them, just thought I would share.
    Last edited by koger; 09-02-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Boolit Master

I usually get better accuracy out of swedes using IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 powder and 140 grain Speer JSP bullets. My grandson has my last swede but I do have one 6.5X55 left. A Ruger 77II in the Swede caliber and it shoots the same load as my Swedes used. Great caliber and great rifles. I might have to find another. James

Boolit Master

Love the swedes. I found my best results with 4831 and reloader 19. I will try 3031, 4895 gives good results.
    Fine rifle.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Pictures provided by koger on the 6.5x55 Swede Mod 42

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I've had a handful of different 6.5x55s go through my hands. A few of them I wish I still had but I did keep one M96, it's been a decent shooter. Only shot it with the old LEE "Cruise Missile" bullet. Never played with any jacketed in it. Thought about it but quit shooting it as my eyes have gotten where they don't like anything but peep sights or glass. That one of yours looks pretty nice.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies and posting the pics. If you right click on the pics, you can enlarge them and see the curl in the stock, throughout.