Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garand purchase query

Banned

Very cool video on the Philippine Garands that are being processed now. It sounds like a lot of money when they talk about all the expenditures to get the rifles here.

But if you round it up to $6 million, and divide by 86,000 rifles, it comes to $69.77 per rifle for those expenses.

http://thegca.org/the-cmp-and-the-philippine-garands/

Boolit Master
    I got my first m1 in 69 a h&r with a Springfield barrel and a Winchester trigger group. late 70's I got a dcm m1 it is a Winchester with a new springfield barrel and a h&r trigger group. then when that bunch came in.
    , in the late 80's I got a I-h and a springfield.

Banned
    bob208,

Fyi, IH Garands were frequently fitted with SA barrels at the factory & in some cases other maker's parts were used to "keep the delivery process moving".
    (SOME "IH-marked" receivers/barrels/small parts were actually made at SA. - The way that you can tell which ones are actually SA made but IH marked receivers is to see if the stampings are SA or IH type.)

Fwiw, some "known Garand experts" say that more IH-marked rifles have LMR barrels & SA parts from the factory than do not.

At least for years 1952-53 (and perhaps even early 1954??), I guess that you could say that some IH-marked Garand rifles are "factory mixmasters".

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-20-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typos

Moderator Emeritus

THANK YOU!!! for all the wonderful responders! I'm almost embarrassed to reiterate that I'm like a child, the night before Christmas, in anticipation of making the 3 1/2 hour drive to the facility where the CMP will be purveying the Garands. Having the desire for too many years to own one of these, I'm ready to go right now, albeit my buddy is not picking me up until 7AM on Thursday .
    All responders have provided me with a wealth of information; lots of reading and research; and many good "do's and don'ts" for when I'm there. Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for good fortune in my being able to purchase one -- I do intend to close this thread with a picture of (I hope!) my new M1 Garand upon return home.
    BEST! -- and thanks again -- I still reckon my knowledge total might fit into a proverbial run-over thimble -- but I sure feel smarter now than when I first heard about the sale!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus
    Are you going to the North Store, South Store, or somewhere else? I have no idea what is at either store but the CMP web site has a forum for each store and there is usually an inventory report so you have an idea what’s there.

Moderator Emeritus

Neither "store". There is a shoot at the Ethan Allen Range in Jericho, Vermont, which started Tuesday (yesterday) and runs through Sunday. Purportedly, starting on Thursday (tomorrow) after noon, the CMP will be offering Garands for sale. You can read Facebook link at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-...25192610852742 . I'll hopefully be there, leaving here at 7AM with a little cash and a lot of hopes . Thanks to the great responders to my query on this site, I'll also have lots more knowledge than had I, before. (wish me luck!)
    geo

Banned
    georgerkahn,

BEST WISHES. = As I said earlier, don't be fearful of asking the CMP store personnel for help in picking YOUR Garand. - You CAN trust their knowledge.
    (One of the "store guys" helped me find MY favorite WWII-era SA Garand & it is "as new", though rebuilt. = Another RRAD rebuild, with a proper SA barrel that is within the tolerance for NEW barrels..)

Fwiw, UNLESS you are "Garand-smart", stay away from the rack grades & buy a nice SERVICE GRADE. = It's HARD to find a BAD SG from CMP.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-19-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typos

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. I (only) once went to a "Black Friday" pre-Christmas sale at a mall to purchase a weight-lifting setup for my older son; the folks gave new meaning to everything 180* out of phase with any goodness, respect for others, etc -- something between Piranha fish in a feeding frenzy and hyenas pushing at a fresh carcass. (I actually left, waited a few days, and paid so little more -- it reinforced my commitment to never engage in such a "sale" again) My worries, albeit I hope to be without merit, are that there will be a similar group all trying to get in and get the best rifle in the place simultaneously upon their door-unlocking of sales room. The fellow who is driving me said in past years, wanna-be buyers line up and they only let "x" number in room at a time, letting more in as people egress, and he has had no bad experiences. I have a bit of ambulatory challenges, requiring one, and sometimes two canes to get about... but, I guess there's only one way to find out -- and, I'm game! I do hope I will be able to ask knowledgeable CMP folks, all of which I've heard nothing but the VERY best about. BUT, a lot of my inquiry here is based on the experience I mentioned re the weight lifting gear. Only one way to find out.. and, God willing, I'll be there!
    Thanks again!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

I promised to post my results, and here it is! The drive to from -- 7 hrs, total -- was fine, and the CMP people were/are terrific!!! I was a teeny tiny squenched by a fellow from another state, who clearly wanted the best rifle displayed -- adroitly hanging on to the one I selected and with a smile denying his request to "see it" (for fear of my never being able to see it again )... I indicated I believed this would be the one to follow me home... and it did. Kind of a mix-master, it sports a Winchester receiver, an NM operating rod, and barrel, trigger group, and pretty much all else is Springfield. The gas unit has hardly no bluing on it, and the barrel looks almost new. Their card indicated a muzzle gaging of 3, and throat of 2 -- I'm happy. The firearm sports new CMP furniture -- a choice I had to make as those without the CMP wood were pretty well beat, to say the least. Thank you to all for input enabling to hopefully make the best choice of the 20 or so rifles displayed! Tomorrow I hope to try shooting it... Yippe!!! I'm now a U.S. M1 Garand owner!!!
    Attachment 227450Attachment 227452

Super Moderator

Looks like you got a good one. I'm very lucky to have got in on the Greek returns several years back. I got a Collector Grade, a Correct grade, and two service grades. All of them are HRA's. This wasn't my choice, just luck of the draw (except the collector grade) I love Garands! Yours is a true piece of History, a WWII Winchester. I hope yours shoots as good as she looks.

Banned
    georgerkahn,

CONGRADS. = LOOKS A-OK to me. - Be sure to report on how she shoots!!!!

IF that Winchester was MINE, I would go to a show & swap out the CMP wood for the proper GI & all the other NON-Winchester parts for Winchester & "correct it".
    Then I would refinish the wood & metal.
    (The SA barrel MAY be correct, as some SA barrels were evidently installed on Winchester & IH receivers, "to keep the line running smoothly".)

Incidentally, a large percentage of IH Garand rifles were assembled with SA small parts & barrels by LMR, i.e., LINE MATERIALS, RIFLE Inc.
    (SOME IH receivers were actually built at SA, though they are heel-marked as IH.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks again! Yes, the ONLY thing I didn't love about rifle was/is the CMP furniture. I was faced with "high-pressure", time-wise decision making as the fellow adjacent to me would have never let it go, I am certain, had I let him "see" this M1. I've been-there-done-that at gun shows, flea markets, and even garage sales -- always ending with my hands empty... Back to my purchase: They only put out about 20 firearms at a time, due to very limited table space so to do, and if one discounts those in .308 and the 1903 drill rifles they had on table -- that left only about fourteen to select from. The only other Winnie was a rack grade with furniture very much in need of replacement, and a gas cylinder with almost a mirror-like (bare steel) finish. My buddy and I agreed the wood NEEDS replacement, and the question remained unanswered as to what either of us would do with the gas cylinder. He lucked out with the "best in show", imho, with a 5-million IHC, with IHC bolt, trigger group, and LMR barrel -- $780.00! However, I am ever so pleased with mine. If you know of any source for replacement furniture -- no shows, etc. in quite the distance -- hence the 3 1/2 hr drive each way yesterday... kindly PM me?
    Hurricane remnants now brought pouring rain, with up to 50mph gusts predicted later in day -- which gives me opportunity to take my new treasure apart, re-clean and lub it, as well as getting a few en blocs filled in hopeful anticipation of taking it to range tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like you did well. M1 Garand rifles are so pleasant to shoot and I can bang on steel and distant targets to have the ping stop me short and to just toss another clip in. You did well. If handloading, there are plenty of recipes out there to recreat ball ammo but I’ve found a few grains lighter will yield great results with softer recoil and full functioning.

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you! A suggestion I plan to heed is a modified gas plug set, which comes with a few different inserts -- the trick being to use the insert which still provides 100% functioning of action with the ammo being used. Several posts indicated using this has the dual pluses of softer recoil, and "doubling the life" of this grand rifle! (Considering my 70 yr old shoulder -- the softer recoil was the major impetus.)
    g

Super Moderator

Iv'e found these guys to be useful for Garand parts. Many are USGI and all are serviceable.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand.aspx

The M1 is the softest shooting 30-06 I've shot and definitely the most fun. I don't want to carry one very far, though! I sure want one like yours, George.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Texas by God -- you're tooooo kind! I am super happy with it, and (work ) dictates Sunday afternoon as my first planned range visit to try it out. My only non-love with it is the CMP furniture. On the one hand, it is pretty & new, and has a rubber butt plate/recoil pad. On the other hand, I was hoping to have a rifle follow me home with furniture on it like the one my dad carried in the Philippine jungles for a year and one half during WWII. That this stock does not have that opening compartment just doesn't seem "right". However, a couple hours with drill press and router -- take more time to fabricate a jig than do the routing -- may just enable me to replace that rubber with a real metal G.I. buttplate. Looking at Internet purveyors, for me to buy a genuine WRI stock at this moment seems prohibitive, cost wise. I kind of blew all my tuckit money on the rifle purchase.
    g

Banned
    osteodoc08,

Would you care to share your "pet load" that functions the Garand action??

yours, tex

Moderator Emeritus

texasnative46 -- vis your inquiry, it is with shaking fingers I paste the load I've used for years shooting club Garands. Two notes are: 1/I may get redounded for posting this, as it employs j-bullets ; and 2/ MOST important, again note this is the load I assembled and worked/works for me -- so PLEASE NOTE it is for INFORMATION purposes only. (Consult at least three lawyers and four printed manuals before you try any load for any firearm -- 'specially for gas guns provided by bozos (e.g., me) on the Internet!)
    Well, with that...I reckon in 2018 it's astute to coa...
    Sierra #2190 150 grain bullet
    46.6 grains IMR 4895 powder
    CCI #34 Primer
    Military cases

g

Banned
    georgerkahn,

SORRY that I wasn't clear. = I was asking "osteodoc08" for his "pet" load that is "softer recoiling & still full functioning" & preferably a GCCB load.
    (My JHP hunting load is a direct clone of M2 Ball ammo. = YEP. I've hunted with Garand rifles since I was a boarding school NDCC cadet in the early 1960s & often borrowed a Garand from the school's commandant to head out to the woods.)

yours, tex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast