WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: So it's 40-65?

So it's 40-65?

Couple shows back I picked up a small sandwich bag of what was said to be 45-70 nickle cased BP rounds, 15 rounds all together, 45-70 head stamped rem cases.
    Paid like $3 for it, always on the lookout for 45-70 brass.

Anyway, finally got to take a good look at it. Pulled a few rounds apart. Decent skinny long boolits, skinny? yep, dropped right down the barrel of my roller like it was nothing. Have not mic'd them yet.
    What the heck?? Did not even notice till now.
    Looks like the cases have been reformed to 40-65.

Have not even thought about a 40-65 since the 90's. In the 90's they were a rage, gun writers galore when it came to bpcr back then, I stuck with the old 45-70.

So curious how were these reformed? Lubed good and just ran through a die set?
    Trimmed to length?? Never messed with case reforming so just wondering how it was done?

Thought about just going ahead and firing them in the roller to reform to 45-70, but someone put a bit of work into reforming them so just dont have the heart.

Probably put them on a shelf and just oogle them every now and then?

Boolit Master
    All my .40-65 brass is reformed .45-70. I usually do it in two steps. First step is partially sized, then relube and final size. Might get a couple out of a hundred that crinkle. I use the .40 out to 600 yds, and the .45's out to a 1000.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Formed a boat load of 45/70 to 40/65 a month later starline started making brass. Also have brass from PMC.

Boolit Bub
    I have also formed hundreds of 40-65 cases. I prefer to use new Winchester 45-70 cases and size them in a special 40-65 form die. The Shiloh and Winchester 40-65 chambers are not the same. The key is not to overlube the case, as this will cause the lube dents. Another advantage of this method is that the case will come out closer to the 2.1" case length that is desired for most BP silhouette rifles. The Winchester case will also gain you additional powder capacity over the Starline brass.