RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40/85 Ballard Pacific

Boolit Master
    I solved this problem decades ago. I have never owned or even shot a Ballard. When you could buy a very nice one for two hundred dollars, I still passed. A friend of mine cracked the receiver of a factory engraved Ballard with a mild load of 4227 in a 32-40. Bo Clerke bought the rifle, welded the frame, rebarreled it and made it a .22. I think a Ballard loaded with BP blew up a few years ago at the Quickly Shoot. The action just looks weak to me. I feel the same way about the Stevens 44. I do own and shoot the Stevens 44 1/2.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Mold
    What about using 2400 or some other slow burning powder like one used for cowboy cartridge shooting?

Boolit Mold
    Still have not shot the .40-85. But what about 18 grains of 2400 Alliant? Seen it happen.

Banned

in a new, modern 20th or 21st century gun - yeah, smokeless in most any manner of load is almost always no problem, and that can be confirmed by the gun's builder if need be. as stated, at most matches there are plenty of wannabes, er, participants using nothing but smokeless in their replica black powder rifles. no problemo.

in an original gun that was built in the 19th century, using any manner of smokeless? can you say "pipe bomb"? i don't gamble with my life or the lives of others - don't y'all be shooting next to me or i won't take kindly to ya!

i'll add - what is this need to use anything but real black powder? particularly at BPcr/tr matches. yeesh.

Banned
    Usa Alliant Black. Much cleaner than real BP but smokes and smells good. Same pressure curve as the real stuff.

Boolit Mold
    I finally loaded up the Rocky mountain cartridges, with 75 grains of Goex ffg, a fiber wad and a lubed bullet. I do not have a sizing die so just press fit the bullet with no compression and no air space. I shot it four times, not much kick, and a nice boom. The .40-85 is now at a local gun shop being consigned. I decided to let the next guy play around with it.

Boolit Mold
    SOLD it for $1,000!

Boolit Master
    Nothing at all wrong with duplex loading 10 % smokeless and 90 % black, kicks more because the black is burning better, no need to blow tube or clean after each shot and cases are cleaner after firing, I say "go for it".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with duplex loading 10 % smokeless and 90 % black, kicks more because the black is burning better, no need to blow tube or clean after each shot and cases are cleaner after firing, I say "go for it".
    He sold it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Grimhiker View Post
    SOLD it for $1,000!
    BOY! I wish I had been in that "local gun shop" and picked up your Ballard Pacific for $1000! Even a rough one would be a good find.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    The action by itself is worth at least a 150% of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12