RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 cal squirrel. rifle

I see people underlube third rifles all the time at shoots.

Pre lubed patxhs just arr not enough. Spit is not good enough

It should be damp enough that is slides down your barrel

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I had a early Cherokee TC 32. It was a accurate rifle. I too had ram rod problems and my old man
    made me one of brass. Traded the rifle to a local who scoped it and it's his main squirrel piece. Kept
    the brass rod. My old man was a brass freak. I have a TC Hawkin that he made a brass ram rod and
    it has both ends threaded. Ball end screws off to reveal a stainless ball screw. A 3/8 brass rod for
    Hawkins is a heavy piece of metal. I bought 3/8 aircraft alumilum rod stock in 8' lengths from a
    industrial supply. The bought Uncle Mike's tip sets, turned rod and cross pinned the tips to rod. I have buddie's into MLs that don't think much of my rods but I only use ML for deer hunting and will
    never shoot enough to damage Muzzel.
    I got the idea from an older feller shooter who had an excellent older Lyman (Safari Arms) .50 cal full stock. He had a homemade brass ram-rod. Served him well.
    The Pedersoli 32 came with a fibreglass ram rod but it gives tiny slivers. Junk IMO.

Boolit Grand Master

For small game 15 grains of FFFg is plenty if your accuracy will hold up. I shot a ton of squirrels and 25 yard target with just 12 grains. I swabbed every 3 shots anyway as loading got stiff and I was never in tht much of a hurry.

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 percussion .32's a traditions Crockett and a Cabela's blue ridge I shot 20 grains of pistol pyrodex with a .310 ball and .010 patch that I lube with T/C wonder lube. I can probably take a limit of 6 squirrels with out swabing but I usual keep a unlubed patch in my cheek when stalking the woods and if I don't need a quick second shot I will go ahead and swab the bore after a shot. The ole 32s crack a lot louder than a 22 short and it make clearing 3 or 4 squirrels from a hickory a little harder.

Boolit Master
    Hard to believe Lyman shows 32 cal, barrel 26 inch. With 1-66" twist and using .310 rb. Shows 70gr FFg for 2216 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Hard to believe Lyman shows 32 cal, barrel 26 inch. With 1-66" twist and using .310 rb. Shows 70gr FFg for 2216 fps.
    That seems a little crazy. What are they hunting?
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of that powder is just blowing out the muzzle of the gun. Shoot that load over snow and the excess powder will be dotting the landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    That seems a little crazy. What are they hunting?
    There's a fellow on another forum who posted many times about how he shot a coyote at about 125 yards with a .32 Crockett rifle using a PRB.
    Maybe the reason for the 70 grain powder charge is due to using 2F instead of 3F.
    2F is not usually recommended for a .32, but Lyman wants to publish test results for comparison purposes, and they use special test barrels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12