Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: buffer tube + springs for AR

Boolit Master

buffer tube + springs for AR

I am very slowly building another AR for the 7.62x39. So far all I need is a barrel and bolt and buffer tube and every thing that it needs. Is spending money on a real good spring and fancy buffer with different weights advantageous?. I will be doing no hotrodding. I want a good cast boolit chucker and as light as I can keep it. I also think an adjustable low profile gas block would help with the tuning. Any thoughts to this build? Is carbine a good place to put gas block for this cartridge shooting lead?
    Look twice, shoot once.

In Remembrance

nekshot,

My 7.62X39 AR build has carbine length gas system (not adjustable) amd "standard" spring and buffer. It works great for 125 grain cast boolit (Lee 310/125 GC) loads ranging from about 1400 to 2000 fps using various fast to moderate rifle powders. (1680. RX7, IMR 3031, 4895) Accuracy is good and all function well. You need to work up your own loads for your gun.

I wouldn't spend extra money on a fancy spring or buffer you can easily change the buffer weight yourself if needed heavier or lighter.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

The flat springs really do reduce the "clang" you hear/fell from the action cycling, but nothing more than that.

Boolit Master
    Ok, Thanks for input. I have been getting every thing at deep discounts but the barrel is a choke point. All barrels that are good quality name and discounted are 16 inch. I would like a 20 or at least a 18 incher.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Any reason for x39 vs 40WT, BO or 30-223? Longer barrel adds weight. Have you looked at KAK? I use adjustable GB on all my ARs, once set they stay there BUT I can change them. Carbine gas is the way to go for supers.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have a 300 BO and it is very good to me but I really like the x39's. I have 2 bolt action(mauser and carcano) and a sks in x39, but I think a ar would be down right fun and accurate to boot. For some reason I cannot explain I like cast in the x39. I did find 18 and 20 inch barrels reasonable so I am saving my dimes for one of them. Not trying to be different just following my fun factor!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Flat springs [Tubbs] work smoother as they have more coils and are not as stiff but are as strong as round springs. I like them and use them in all my .45 pcc’s.

I shot an AK clone once, scope kept falling off and dinged me once. I don't see any advantage in x39 but if it works for you, go for it. Well, at least you don't have to convert cases.

My BO carbine barrel is 18" and that is fine.
    Whatever!