Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more wall tiling questions

Boolit Master

more wall tiling questions

I got the wet tile saw from HF, bought the tiles, ready to prep the wall above the backsplash, under the counters.
    Question: does it make any sense to cover the area to be tiled with very thin paneling or some other type of material to give the wall an even, level, smooth surface? Right now, there's sheetrock pieced into old plaster, old sheetrock, even some pine boards.

Battis. I would remove all the uneven wall coverings down to the bare studs and use a product called Wonderboard. It's sheets of hard board made up of concrete and fiberglass reinforcement. Folks at Lowe's or HD will know what your asking for. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Battis. I would remove all the uneven wall coverings down to the bare studs and use a product called Wonderboard. It's sheets of hard board made up of concrete and fiberglass reinforcement. Folks at Lowe's or HD will know what your asking for. Gp
    +1

Good advice. Cut the Wonderboard by scoring and snapping just like drywall.

Boolit Master
    That would have been the best way to go if I had planned it out in advance, but now we have everything in place - countertop, cabinets, etc. To get to the studs I'd have to remove the top layer of sheetrock, then the old horsehair plaster, and the walls have the old blown in insulation. I was thinking that maybe a thin paneling over the area to give it uniformity before tiling.

If the sheet rock is solid, you can lay over it. I prefer Acrylpro adhesive that I get at Home Depot. Yes , planning ahead, Wonderboard or DuraRock would have been the best option , even green board. Beings this is not a wet, continually damp area, you will be fine. May need to add more adhesive to get everything smooth but is no big deal...

And yes, I do this for a living..

Boolit Master
    I think I gotta bite the bullet and do it the right way. It shouldn't be too bad to rip the old stuff out and replace it with the Wonderboard- it's not a big area. If I do it Mickey Mouse, Minnie will not be happy. I keep telling her to find a boyfriend, maybe a general contractor or just a rich old guy.
    Thanks for the replies.

Banned
    Just remove the drywall, if the plaster looks smooth/flat just go over it with 1/2 cement/wonderboard.
    An Oscillating Multi-Tool https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ing-tools.html
    is great for cutting close to another surface. (**make sure to really protect the countertop first**)

Boolit Master
    It really depends on much variations the current surfaces have. How experienced are you at tiling? A little bit of variation in the amounts of adhesive used can offset small differences. But this is assuming we're talking about variations of 1/8" or less.

Of course it's probably best in the long run to just do it the right way and get rid of all the old **** and put something down that is intended for tiling.

Boolit Master
    Just remove the drywall, knock any really high spots off the old plaster and replace the dry wall with 1/2" wonder board or Durock and title over that. If you're not experienced tiling walls, buy a small bag of grout joint spacers which will help keep the tiles from sagging down if you don't have the thinset mixed "just right"

Boolit Master
    The intent all along was to use tin but that's all changed. Tin would probably cover the wall as it is but tiling makes more sense. I've only tiled a partial floor, so I don't have any tiling skills.
    I'll cut out the old wall and replace it.

Not hard. Backsplash is good practice. Hope she likes it....

Boolit Master
    Above (and behind) the sink soapstone backsplash, under the window, I put one long pine board, about 5' long. Can you tile over wood?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Above (and behind) the sink soapstone backsplash, under the window, I put one long pine board, about 5' long. Can you tile over wood?
    No!!!

Boolit Master
    Can wood be prepped to take tile?

Wood expands and contracts with the seasons (and humidity). I wouldn't take a chance. Personally, I would take the wall down to the studs and use cement board. I don't think you'll be sorry to take a little extra time and very little extra cost to know you have a first rate foundation for the tile.
    Last edited by bosterr; 09-01-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    The prep for wood is cement board/wonderboard or use a mastic adhesive for the tile over drywall.

Boolit Master
    I never thought about the expansion and contraction. I'll just take the wood out.

Boolit Master
    We removed the top layer of sheetrock, and we're down to the old plaster. There are a few spots where the underneath plaster is gone and the studs are exposed. Can Wonderboard be installed over studs with shims, or does it have to be installed completely over sheetrock?

Boolit Master
    When I tiled both my daughter's and our mb shower, I stripped the walls down to the studs and used 1/2" cement backer board. Then I taped the joints and used thinset to cover the joints. After the thinset set up, I put 3 coats of Redguard over everything. It is a waterproofing paint, and thinset sticks to it very well. Home Depot carries the Redguard.

Boolit Master
    You can shim your wall as long as it's solid. The flatter you make the Wonderboard the easier it is to set your tile. That's less time troweling, back buttering and taking tile on and off the wall to make the tile edges flush while bent over the counter and under the upper cabinets. You'll need some outlet box extenders and maybe some longer screws for the outlets and switches where your done tiling and grouting.

After your done, Momma should make you a cake and clean your deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast