Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: recommended alloys

Boolit Master

recommended alloys

I'm down to a couple of hundred pounds of wheelweights and about the same amount of reclaimed and new shot. Wheelweights are apparently far more difficult to find nowadays and I'm not going to scrounge for them. Straight ww alloy that I've used for years shows a consistent BHN of around 12 on my LBT tester while a mixture of ww and shot is a bit harder. Both mixes have worked well for handgun and rifle loads, all moderate, and I no longer load any magnum handgun rounds.

For those of you that have used homemade and commercial alloys, 1 in 16, 1 in 25, etc., what mix do you recommend for handgun rounds such as .38 Special, .44 Special, and .45 ACP at standard pressure / velocities? I think I could get by fine with a slightly softer alloy than wheelweights for the handgun cartridges and maybe even some rifle loads, but the latter may generally require a harder bullet.

It's gotten to the point where I use Lyman #2 (BHN 15) for everything except the front stuffers. Well, the RB 45-70 likes pure lead in mild loads too. Anyway, you can buy it at a reasonable cost from Rotometals. I have lots and lots and lots of pure lead so I can get the other components and make it cheaper.

Those pistol calibers you mentioned are very forgiving calibers due to low velocity. I have mixed 50% clip on wheel weights with 50% pure lead and no problems with leading of the barrel in those three calibers that I also hand load. It should end up around 9-10 BHN. Use a good lubricant, I use white label 2500, and have fun. If your mold fill out is not perfect add about 2% tin to the mix.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Those pistol calibers you mentioned are very forgiving calibers due to low velocity. I have mixed 50% clip on wheel weights with 50% pure lead and no problems with leading of the barrel in those three calibers that I also hand load. It should end up around 9-10 BHN. Use a good lubricant, I use white label 2500, and have fun. If your mold fill out is not perfect add about 2% tin to the mix.
    I do this with 1% tin/pewter and 2% if it doesn't act right. Cast at 675-700degF. It'll work in your handgun or rifle.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the suggestions. The mixtures I've used for years work fine, just running low. I'm thinking of trying some of the soft alloys from Rotometals like 1 in 16 and 1 in 25 to see if they will work as well or better, particularly for handgun rounds.

For most rifle loads, I'll probably buy something similar to a ww mix or maybe an alloy just a little harder when I run out of what I have. While I haven't used it in years, I do have a supply of "tired" linotype which has a BHN of about 16. May try that again as well.

Boolit Master
    I have often thought what I might have to do when my sources run out. I seem to be able to buy soft lead scrap easily enough, but the COWW and other hard alloys are not easily found by me at least. Perhaps split a large order of 2-6-92 and dilute that with soft lead plumbing scrap. Usually, there is a nice amount of 30/70 solder in the wiped joints so there is tin to add to the blend to sweeten it up to perhaps 2-3-95 which should make a decent pistol alloy. The 2-6-92 would do for paper punching for moderate rifle use. Might not be a solution for anyone else though. Dusty

Boolit Master
    I remember well the days of what seemed like an endless supply of WW. That was back when I couldn't find any pure. Now it's just the opposite. Now my favorite mix is 50/50 WW/Pb for all pistols and some rifles. A little WW goes a long way.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.