Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: It's close to that time of the year guys.

It's close to that time of the year guys.

Be careful out there in the woods, up on a stand, by yourself. Guy in Oregon spent 2 days upside hanging by his harness 30 feet off ground. Was 70 and if it had been cold, wouldn't have survived . Don't hunt alone if at all possible, know where your partners stands are, and if you just have to be by yourself, make sure you have a family or friend know where you're going and to check on you. Friend of family lost a young man a few years ago this way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yea, read that story about the guy upside down. He is in intensive care in an induced coma. They are not sure he will make it. Sad, just sad.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Very good advice and a problem for me. I have always spent a great deal of time alone both working or hunting etc. generally few people would know where I am or how to find me. I should mend my ways but that doesn't seem likely either but it is very good advice to at least make sure someone would know how to find you.......If I don't show up here for a year or to figure I didn't make it and my bones are somewhere out there.

I am glad to see these kinds of posts Shooter 93. They may help someone else like you said about yourself to change their ways too. I used to go hunting alone and never gave it a thought except leave information with someone where I would be. Need more talk about safety habits in tree stands to educate everyone. I don't think anyone would choose to leave this world hanging in a tree upside down for two days.

Thanx for the great reminder. I do hunt alone occasionally but....only on public land. There are a lot of addition people in those woods. When I hunt private land I always hunt with a group or notify the land owner of where I'll be and when I'm coming and going.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I stay on the ground. I don't even want to fall from there.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

In 2009, the night before deer season opened, I got a call from an older hunting buddies wife. She wanted to know if we were going to be home from our elk hunt soon, as we were supposed to be gone 7 to 10 days, and it had been 15.

He told her that I was going with, so that she wouldn't worry, even though I had no idea he told her this, as I couldn't make it that year.

The next morning, another friend and I went and found him, passed away in the back of his truck. Little buddy heater and lantern valves both on, looked like he fell asleep and never woke up from the fumes.

IMO, it is better for the wife to be mad at you, and at least know where you are.

I didn't know where he would be, but I had a hunch.

After the sheriff completed his investigation, and collected the body, we loaded up his camp, and I carved RIP Lou into a tree at the campsite.

Hope I never have to find a friend that way again.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I am an Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Hunter Ed instructor.
    This guy did not follow two simple rules that we teach our students.
    1. Never hunt alone.
    2. Leave a hunting plan with a family member stating where you will be hunting and when you expect to return.
    I am guilty of violating rule number 1 at times, but I always tell my wife were I will be hunting and when I expect to return.....dale

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I stay on the ground. I don't even want to fall from there.
    Never have liked tree stands!

Boolit Master

I see no problem in hunting alone but there is no reason not to tell someone where you will be and when you plan to return.

Boolit Buddy

Hunting and working alone are facts of life for me. Just let folks know where u'll be

A "Family service Radio with GPS" Can be a pocket sized life saver. The one I use has a fetcher That marks the location of my hunting partner on on My radios map and if I punch in "GO TO" it will give Me directions to his location from 5 miles away within 15 feet.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by crowbuster View Post
    Hunting and working alone are facts of life for me. Just let folks know where u'll be
    This is it for me. My wife knows what drainage I'll be in. I don't need someone to check on unless it is a grandkid. One of the reasons I hunt is to enjoy solitude, if I see someone else it's rare unless I am in a friends field.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

My wife worries about me hunting alone, but i don't. I always tell her the most dangerous part of hunting is the drive to and from the woods.

BB

Boolit Master
    I never trusted climbing stands, and once when testing one in my back yard I was up a tree a few feet and the bottom decided it was going back to the ground. This was a first model Baker tree stand. I quickly sold it for cheap and commenced to using ladder stands. Those and box blinds are what I used for many years. I got my Alabama Hunter Safety instructor certification some time after that, probably on the late '70's, and never would recommend a climbing stand.
    When our party went hunting we all had a walkie-talkie, and we'd verbally check on each other about every two hours if hunting was slow.....This was pre-cellphone days.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 09-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

There is a man and his wife that set up a blind to hunt turkeys in the field across the road from us. Pulls up his van and gets into his motorized wheelchair. He is a quadriplegic and it is very interesting to see him cross the field in his wheelchair and get his blind set up.
    Why is he a quad? he fell out of his tree stand and broke his neck.
    I never liked tree stands.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.