Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: A master chain saw restorer

Boolit Master

A master chain saw restorer

This level of craftsmanship is disappearing from America

https://youtu.be/TpRdVBC5PNo
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    He works faster than I do and does things that I wouldn't dream of attempting.

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet! Thanks for that as I just learned a good trick on rewinding a spring using a nail and zip ties to keep it wound up. I love old saws but when using one everyone keep in mind that they have no chain break. I forgot this using a similar sized old Jonsered and it cost me 2 fingers
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Great video! Thanks for sharing. Got me to thinking about the old Homelite XL that Dad bought back then - we put a lot of hours on that saw - when I settled the estate, my brother took it and as far as I know, it's still running. Liked that video so much I passed it on to others that I know would appreciate it!

Boolit Master

Not my usual cuppa, but this guy grabbed my attention just a few seconds in. Wonderful video for mining techniques of tool or gun restoration. I subscribed.

Banned
    I love watching master craftsmen at work

Boolit Master
    Nice work on removing the screws without damaging them , along with all the other parts as well .

Boolit Master
    He does really well with that impact driver. I wonder if the electric ones do as well. I have battery impacts now up to 1400 ftlbs but I might get one of those hammer driven ones before they forget how to make them.

Someone should tell him about acetone and ATF.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

I have my Dad's old hammer driven impact screwdriver...and I did use it once this summer removing screws on a rusty trailer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have a hard time just boiling water. This guy has my utmost respect. His mechanical abilities are astounding to me.
    I think a major mechanical accomplishment is learning how to sharpen my mower blade!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    He does really well with that impact driver. I wonder if the electric ones do as well. I have battery impacts now up to 1400 ftlbs but I might get one of those hammer driven ones before they forget how to make them.

After watching the video it reminded me I needed an impact screw driver so just purchased one of these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Capri-Tools...72.m2749.l2649
    East Tennessee

Good grief! Send that guy over to my place. I've got 3 old ones he can work on! Great video.

Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Could never do that. I would have left over parts. Thanks for posting.

Boolit Grand Master

My first paying job (12 yo in 1954) was as a small engine mechanic. I remember doing some of the tricks he used like cutting a slot in a replacement bolt to retain the bowel when the pot metal stripped.
    Golly that was a long time ago.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Nice work for sure, attention to detail. One thing he did I certainly would not have bothered with was getting the kinks out of the chain, I would have replaced it.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post

The hammer one works better for this type of work. With an electric one they tend to snap the head off or distort the slot or Philips head.

Boolit Master
    I like where he said "Are you kidding me", I resemble that remark. All of us that have kept old worn out stuff running out of necessity can appreciate that video. He did a good job, my hat is off to him.

I bought a used PRO MAC 10-10 in the 70's. It finally started having a funny rattle several years later. It was getting to hard to find parts but after some looking I got a carb kit and the caged drive side and rod bearings. I did a total tear down, cleaning and reassembly. It ran for many years after that. I heated two houses for 18-20 years with that saw plus cutting some pulp wood and timber. It was the best saw I ever owned.

I Like to pick up old tools, clean them up and put them in working order. Just yesterday I got out my '69 Coleman 502 single burner stove, it wouldn't work. I took it apart and cleaned it up, I was lucky it was in good shape just dirty. I got to thinking about it after a post here about cleaning a propane stove.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The hammer one works better for this type of work. With an electric one they tend to snap the head off or distort the slot or Philips head.
    That's what I was thinking. Forward thrust at the same time as the impact rotation. I always hit the flats on plumbing unions before I try to take them apart.

My last car engine tear down was almost all done with a 1/4" Makita Impact. No rust or aluminum oxide issues, just removing torqued bolts. Awesome! I had been looking to upgrade my (little) air compressor and get one of the new 1200 ftlb 1/2" impact wrenches and found the new Milwaukee 18 volt is rated at 1400 ftlbs. The rating is likely down hill with wind at your back but I am quite confident you could shear 3/4" bolts at the highest setting if you weren't careful.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 09-03-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    No sir thouse Milwaukee impacts are the real deal
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Moderator Emeritus

That was great! Thanks for sharing!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan