WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wtb Nikon African Safari scope

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Wtb Nikon African Safari scope

Anyone know where I can find one?

I just googled it, there are loads of them out there, so I assume you are only looking for a used one?
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

No cant find any for sale new or used. Are you sure? It's the 1x4 German rectical with a gold Cape buffalo on the dial. I googled it for a couple hours with none in stock and discontinued on every website.

I would assume you didn't click on the links to find out there are none in stock.

It's scope part number 8446
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.

You are right, I didn't click on any of the links.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Grand Master

Ebay has some Nikon Monarch African's.

I have a very high opinion of Nikon products. I took a pair of Nikon Monarch's on safari a number of years ago and they took a back seat to no other binoc's there even ones costing several times the price. All of my serious hunting rifles carry Nikon glass. For the money you can't do much better in my opinion.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I've been on there surfing the last two days...none. If there is one it's a new listing.

Just checked again...none listed.

Please send or post me the link where there is one for sale.

Boolit Master

They must have. I Think the only difference is the scope ring cover with the Cape buffalo on it. I called Nikon to see if I could buy a left over gold Cape buffalo scope covers of available and screw it on the updated model. They said probably not but would give me a call back Tuesday when they opened. I called about 10 min before close. I want this optic because of the "Cape buffalo scope cap"

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, they did rebrand this scope. They took the "African" off of it. I have the African model on my AR and got the new model for my henry 357 lever action. Great scope, very fast.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Grand Master

I went on just before I posted and saw some. They are there

I'd be happy just to purchase the African scope cap add it to an updated optic. I believe I have brand new extra black caps laying around for trade bait.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I went on just before I posted and saw some. They are there
    There are zero...its part number 8446

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    There are zero...its part number 8446
    This is the same scope, I'm pretty sure https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Monar...0AAOSwBahVExmV

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...Tabs-TechSpecs

It's designed for several things including dangerous game.
    Last edited by jonp; 09-02-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. They do that and this scope should do what the OP want's it to do but we all want what we want and he doesn't want this one, he want's an "African". We have all been there so no criticism on this.

Are you wanting the Gold Cape Buffalo Cap for a specific reason, ie: rifle to take to Africa and just want it to complete the look? Maybe you can find a cap somewhere. Having that scope with the Buffalo cap on a 375 H&H or 416 sure would look good.

Yes, I want "the look". It will sit on top of my Remington 700 375 RUM. It started out as a discontinued blued BDL I bought off of cdnninvestments back in 2000' for $489. It has the fancy scroll engraving on the action. It now sits in a bedded grey laminated stock I removed from my 300 RUM. It also has a KDF brake on it and leupold quick detach mounts. I've had a 2x7 leupold on it and a Nikon 3.5x14 in the past. Both optics since have been remounted on different rifles. If I can get my hands on the scope cap then I will buy the updated optic WITHOUT the cap. I'm sure they are the exact same optic minus the cap....but the CAP makes the scope for me since I bought this rifle for Kodak Grizzlies and Africa...which I will probably never get to do either in my lifetime and the closest I'll get to it is having the rifle to look at. I've taken a couple of whitetails using 260 gr accu bonds loaded at 3000 fps. Wasn't impressed the first deer ran like it wasn't hit and made it a good 100 plus yards with no blood. That deer was double lunged! The second was standing next to it...a yearly, I shoot it, it dropped, then got up and ran down the hill a good 85 plus yards and stumbled over into a ditch and died. Double lung shot as well and broke one leg! The gun put monster size holes about the size of a coffee can in the first deer and it still didn't drop. I've seen deer die on the spot with a 243 that dropped dead with the same shot placement using 100 gr hornadys. Not a fan of the accu bond. I had the same experience using them in my 06'. It was a 180gr version loaded around 2700 fps. First shot zipped through the animal with a lung shot and just stood there. The 2nd shot paralyzed it with a high shoulder/backbone. I still had to finish off after walking up to it while it was trying to crawl away! The accu bonds are too hard of a bullet unless your using it for a self defense head shot on a charging grizzly. The only way I would think might be a good bullet and maybe expand would be using the 150 grain version at 3600 fps out of a 300 rum but at slower velocities...3000 fps or under it sucks.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet. I was thinking of that scope and cap on a Holy Grail gun for me, a CZ 550 Safari Magnum. Like you, I have no idea what I'd use it for but what's that got to do with anything?

I think Nikon came though for me, I'll keep you posted

Nikon likes me...

They didn't have the plain black matching elevation cap in stock so they are sending me another African cap and will send me the plain black one when they get more. I just have to order a new updated optic now!

...I'm debating on the BDC or the German crosshair which it came with

Didn't even know they existed, and now you have me lusting for one!